SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quite true.
I have never really wanted to go to SWA as weird as that sounds. I love the pilots and all, but hate the legs and the cattle care mentality. I do like the diversity that DAL has to offer. Now if they would open up the DFW base again all would be right in the world.

General
Will new hires that are on the list get part of the 2.1B note when it is sold? I have heard that and was wondering if you could clear that up.

Just so you can make an educated decision base on facts.

I know of only 2 captains that left for other air carriers in the past 15 years at SWA.

Average day is about 4 legs/6.5 hours/7.2 TFP.

The company keeps its promises to employees and pays its bills ontime.

If you enjoy flying, you will not be bored.

If you never really wanted to be at SWA, it probably isn't for you.

A bird in the hand...

I have never really wanted to go to SWA as weird as that sounds. I love the pilots and all, but hate the legs and the cattle care mentality.
There is you answer! You wouldn't fit the profile anyway, empty the spot for someone who really likes the cattle care mentality

Quite true.
I have never really wanted to go to SWA as weird as that sounds.

It doesn't sound wierd to me. The only reason they are at the top right now is because everyone else took concessions. Don't get me wrong, it's a good company, IMO, but before 9-11, I knew maybe 2 people tops who's #1 choice was SWA. Now all of a sudden, you have all these pilots saying "SWA is the only place I ever wanted to work".....yeah....uh huh....riiiiiight.

Heck, before 9-11, DAL was my first choice.

General
Will new hires that are on the list get part of the 2.1B note when it is sold? I have heard that and was wondering if you could clear that up.

No. FDJ2 is correct.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just so you can make an educated decision base on facts.

I know of only 2 captains that left for other air carriers in the past 15 years at SWA.

Average day is about 4 legs/6.5 hours/7.2 TFP.

The company keeps its promises to employees and pays its bills ontime.

If you enjoy flying, you will not be bored.

If you never really wanted to be at SWA, it probably isn't for you.

A bird in the hand...

You only know 2 captains, but many left prior to 9-11. Back then Southwest was not the best choice. Today it is a good choice because of the job security aspect. Back then people were fleeing Fedex too for legacy jobs. How times have changed. If you enjoy flying at Southwest, you will see a lot of it, I mean a lot of it. Just when you think you have had enough, like ALB to LAS nonstop (5.5 hours in a 737 cockpit), they then add a ABQ leg after it. You will fly close to 8 hour a day, whether you want to or not. But hey, that is productive, and why be away from home if you don't have too, unless you want to do turns (many out of ATL---on the 757, 738, and MD88), want to see the world (ex military types may have already seen the world, and ex regional types may want to), or fly something you can actually get up from your seat and do jumping jacks in the cockpit(757 and up). It's up to you, and there is a risk aspect when you go to a legacy, no doubt.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Whichever one you choose, let the other know you would have no problem finding at pinch hitter for their use. Just PM me and I'll be there.

but six years ago SWA could not beg pilots to come there.

Not the case....6 years ago was 2001. SWA was on track to hire a record number of pilots that year until 9/11 slowed things up. I don't recall SWA having any empty seats on day 1 of New Hire Indoc.

Tejas

Latest resources

Back