Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:laugh:

Uh....don't think so buddy.

From what i understand you got turned by SW so iardon me if i don't believe you. as for everyone else like i said say what you want but with the pensions gone and the pay gone you can tell me diff till you are blue in the face it wont mean that i will believe you.

Funny thing is I will be in a early April class at DAL, and I do not have the type. Of course I will not know till May, and if I get the SWA job I will have to find the two weeks off to get the type during my first year at DAL.

I'm trying to imagine myself getting the job at SWA, then not quitting my DAL job in time to go pick up the type. I guess it's a little scary to walk away from a great flying job, even if it IS to go to a somewhat more great flying job.

Call in really, really sick. Or dead.

This news should be the tie breaker......

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/artic...03-13_23-03-24_WNAS3939&type=comktNews&rpc=44

Mesa Air, Delta Air Lines in new code share agreement

March 13 (Reuters) - Mesa Air Group Inc. (MESA.O: Quote, Profile , Research) said it had entered into a new code share agreement with Delta Air Lines Inc. (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) to operate 14 CRJ-900 regional jet aircraft as a Delta connection carrier for up to 10 years. This new service is expected to begin in September 2007, the regional air carrier said in a statement. (Reporting by Shikhar Balwani in Bangalore)

Which way does it break the tie, you ask? If you have to ask, you need to spend time forming an opinion on where our industry is going. There is no right answer, known to me, on who is going to be more successful going forward. Both may do well or both may have hiccups too. But you gotta have an educated guess from the available info and run with it.

After you form an opinion get the cojones to act on it, within reason. Don't stick your head in the sand and hope everything is just going to come out o.k.

BTW, not going to SWA becuase you can't find the time to get the type? Don't mistake me for one of those kool-aid drinkers....but you gotta expend the time and effort if you want the type and the job. If you don't want to do it then its not for you.

Last edited:
That breaks the tie breaker? Delta bought the 30 CR9s, and would it have been better to give them to Comair? I don´t think so. This is business, and Delta chose Mesa to keep the others in check. ACL65pilot is deciding on a future job with a Major, and he can either pick an airline that is growing as a large regional (SWA), or he can choose an airline that is going places, far away places away from Texas. If you have to go away for 4 days, why not go somewhere fun where you can relax and have a beer, nice dinner watching the cute Austrian babes stroll up and down streets you can´t pronounce? If you go to Southwest, there is a good chance you will be eating at Longhorns in downtown Lubbock a few time a month, or you might be lucky enough to layover in Jackson, MS in the heat of Summer. No thanks. Go for Delta, variety is the spice of life, and 25 minute turns at Southwest will shrink your nads. Oh wait, your wife may not like that? Exactly. That is why you have to go to Delta. Grow a pair and drink beer in a far away land. I would go, but I now manage and fly a LR45 for a corporation here in Boca, I make too much bank(salary, stock and 401K match from this company) and now have roots here with the wife and kids. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you have to go away for 4 days.......

You're working at the wrong airline. I fly only 3 day trips, and have been getting 18-19 days off. That is why I chose Southwest, I have a life. If you don't have a family, or don't care about seeing them, then work somewhere that will get you away from them. I've been to Europe and Asia, If that is what impresses you then great for you.

From what i understand you got turned by SW so iardon me if i don't believe you. as for everyone else like i said say what you want but with the pensions gone and the pay gone you can tell me diff till you are blue in the face it wont mean that i will believe you.

LOL!

Yeah, you are right. I am so upset that I didn't win a scholarship at SWA and that I am making over $100K at UPS that I still have my application in at SWA.

:rolleyes: (look....I am blue in the face!) :laugh:

LOL!

Yeah, you are right. I am so upset that I didn't win a scholarship at SWA and that I am making over $100K at UPS that I still have my application in at SWA.

:rolleyes: (look....I am blue in the face!) :laugh:

I imagine you are a nice person, but when you get on these SWA threads with some of the anger you exhibit, it obviously has some Freudian overtones. You might not see it, but even some alcoholics don't know they have a problem until someone tells them.

You know, I've read most of the posts on this thread and it's been extremely interesting reading... I mean, I get it, life is GREAT at SWA. I really hope it doesnt change for you guys. However without knowing someones complete total life & financial position, how can you guys berate him for considering DAL? What if this guy has a rich wife or family? A side business (which I think all pilots should be into regardless of place of employment)? Or another source of financial gain? Would the choice still be so clear?............

Yes at SWA you will have 20 days off a month. Only fly 2 legs a day and make 200K+ a year. It is a great opportunity. An amazing company. It is NOT for everybody though and whats wrong if some guys still want the chance to fly to different continents & try different fleet types(who knows maybe SWA will eventually take their product internationally)? What is wrong with that? What if he hasn't flown internationally (like it seems all SWA pilots have) and realized on HIS own that there is nothing special at all about overnighting in St. Martin, Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, or Tokyo (Maybe it is the same as being in BHM, JAX, LBB, & STL)? What if he wants to try to be part of the solution to helping get the majors back to where they should be? Or what if Delta was just his dream airline?

We should all know that the airline that is on top NEVER stays there. For you guys at SWA I hope it does continue. I have friends there and they absolutely love it. Just understand that the DAL guys aren't going to be down forever. Just like the AA, CAL, UAL, AAA, & NWA guys. Maybe life gets better at these companies. Maybe one of those companies will no longer exist. Who knows? The rates that SWA has aren't going to be where they are forever. They may be better, may be worse. I guess my point is some people still might want to do something else than fly SWA's mission. It is NOT the holy grail for everyone & NOT what everyone dreams about. This is not SWA bashing. I've accepted many free rides from SWA & you guys have outstanding aviatiors. I just don't blame the guy for debating... Nothing ever stays the same. I'm sure that he will make the best decision for him & his family

You're working at the wrong airline. I fly only 3 day trips, and have been getting 18-19 days off. That is why I chose Southwest, I have a life. If you don't have a family, or don't care about seeing them, then work somewhere that will get you away from them. I've been to Europe and Asia, If that is what impresses you then great for you.

I flew Tower Air 747s, and I knew what it was like to be away for awhile. From what I hear from my Delta friends is that there are plenty of 3 day European trips on Delta, with many worth over 20 hours. There is a 28 hour 3 day to tokyo from ATL on the 777. Most of the Summer International flights are 3 days, since the flights go to daily instead of 4 or 5 times a week in the slower winter months. So, would you rather do a 3 day to Munich from ATL, see the Haufbrauhaus, and come back with 20 hours, or go DAL-LBB--ABQ--LAS--SJC--PDX the first day, and repeat for the next two? Delta also has the option of some 6 day trips to fill up quicker and allow larger chunks off in the month. My buddies say the flights over there are a first class buffet on the way over (First class meals and a 3 hour break to watch a movie in the rest seat), on the way to Happy Hour. (Eating with the crew and enjoying the sights in Europe). Sounds better than the 1 2 3 rule at SWA. But, you should enjoy that security and great pay check at Southwest while you have it. If it works for you, then great.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back