Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Red Leader said:
FWIW,

I was furloughed from CAL in '01....I've found a much nicer home at LUV. In an industry of apples and oranges LUV is a chocolate milkshake. The sky is bluer, the grass is greener and my food tastes better :) No $hit !!!

FWIW, I just barfed.

The airline you get hired with in your youth will most likely not resemble the airline you retire with at 60. Ask any senior legacy pilot today how they felt about the corndog airline 25 (ish) years ago and if they would of left or applied.

SWA F/O, your comment was quite transparent but shall I remind you sir that many turned down your airline in times past with the same thoughts in mind.
Dare I suggest that had it not been for a gamble with fuel hedge's your company would also of been losing money? This industry is a pendulum and the tides of good fortune eventually always shift. Should you be lucky enough to ride this crest of success for your entire career, all I say is more power to you and your fellow employees.

As far as airlines themselves go who knows. The thought of flying a 737 on multiple legs every day for my entire career is not in the least appealing to me.

I have to agree with Boeingman.

The only thing that you really have at your contol right now is your commute. Pick the airline that has the base in the town in which you want to live in. Someway, somehow we all wind up commuting but commuting to reserve on probation blows.

Go where other workers are happiest

Work where others around you are happy. If you go where your coworkers bitch about everything (and I do mean everything) then you will likely do it, too. Five, ten, or twenty years of bitching is a long bitch... Also, never turn down an interview, ya more on. Respectfully (somewhat), Wing

So, what's the word with CAL in regards to re-opening the HNL crew base in the near future????

Last edited:
Your question will have to be decided by yourself...as everyone here will give you a different opinion based on their perceptions be it a commute, airline bias, schedule, financial future, expectations, and most importantly - the type of flying you wish to do you career...

You are the only one that can answer the question...

Go where YOU will be happy - end of story....If you like what you see at CAL and it's everything you hoped for, don't look a gifthorse...blah blah blah...on the other hand if you stll have an unfulfilled question check in your mind check out SWA if you have time between the interviews and no offer intrudes on the SWA decision timeframe.

But if you really want a biased opinion - go to CAL :)

miles otoole said:
Throw up when the neighbor drives by with the hot wife in the Bentley, do ya?

I like cool cars and hot women just fine. I like SWA just fine for that matter. I think the poster should let nothing preclude him from exhausting every possibility of working for SWA as a first choice.

What I can't stand is the awkward bravado we all have to suffer through with these SWA guys! O-KAY, we get the picture!....Your airline makes a profit!

You would all do well to ease up a little bit; doing so at the top of the wave makes life easier when your at the bottom of the wave.

As for how long it takes to hear from CAL, mine was that same evening. Lately, they are doing fingerprints and urine samples the same day. By law, you have to be hired withing 30 days (that is in class) of the urine sample given. I interviewed on July 14th and will be in the August 9th class.

Latest resources

Back