• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

? SWA or CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go to both interviews. We'll assume you get offers at both. Go to CAL training and get the type rating (they type the FOs). Then bail to SWA. Done. Of course, you may end up on a 75 at CAL during initial.

I'm sure CAL would REALLY like that.

My advice--

Research, Research and more Research.

Look at the competitive landscape and figure out if one is more likely to meet or exceed their growth plans. Look at the revenue stream and likelihood of serious cost issues coming up in the future. Is there a need for a pilot pay cut on the horizon? Does the company want or need to increase productivity? How are management labor relations?

Hedge your bets with a scenario where each makes a mistake or two and how well they can weather it. SWA, for example, has much room for error due to their strong balance sheet. Factor in competitors and their ability to put a squeeze on revenue. Stock analysts and airline forecasters can help but I look at their guesses with a jaundiced eye. I am concerned by CALs debt but their revenue looks good.

SWA is a really good company to work for. It is fun to go to work. I don't think management is out to bilk the company at SWA. That is really important to me. There is no substitute for a trustworthy management team.

What I would not use to make a decision, unless you have no choice, is first year pay. If that really is a factor I would focus on how to make low first year pay work if that company is worth working for.

The highest lifetime earnings is also on my list of what not to look for. I know I don't need to fly international. My goal is narrow body captain.

Schedule is a double edged sword. If you pick one because they are not flying 7 legs a day you have to ask if that is smart. If your productivity is lower at CAL, should your pay be as high? I think that is one reason why ATA guys are getting stuck with low pay right now. Its hard to make them productive with their route structure. For a cargo carrier low productivity is no problem but it is essential in the pax industry. SWA has no problem, IMHO, making pilots productive. This productivity allows higher pay with a smaller dent in the CASM.

Lastly, as others have said, many have played the forecaster game and made the wrong call. Its hard to predict the future. The further out your forecast the less accuracy you will have. I trust a 2-3 year projection oodles more than a 6-10 year projection.

SWA is a great bet, unless JetBlue and Airtran start beating them up. CAL is a great legacy bet, unless legacy mergers make strong rivals.

Finally, pray about it and be happy with your decision. But don't throw away your interview suit.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
....don't throw away your interview suit.

........or stop updating your logbook.

MarylandONE said:
Gatorade, I'm sorry you didn't get the job but...

Gatorade,

I'm sorry you didn't get the job but the way you expressed you disappointment is a testament to why you didn't get the job. Attitude is everything around here.

Yours sure sounds great.

MarylandONE said:
The question should be....

Do you want to get furloughed in the future? If no, then go to SWA. If yes, CAL.

Not to mention helpful...

Last edited:
Three numbers ...... 7 7 7

MarylandONE said:

Do you want to get furloughed in the future? If no, then go to SWA. If yes, CAL.

Very myopic, naive comment ! :rolleyes: But just in case you can predict the future, care to tell me what the Big Game Lottery numbers will be?

Last edited:
MarylandONE said:

Careful big guy. This must be your first airline. Don't think there has never been the consideration at some time that the management at SWA has considered a furlough that you just haven't known about.

If I were you I would knock on wood right now.

TAZ MAN said:
This must be your first airline.

I'm guessing it is, based on the information he provided:

Aircraft Experience: Only the 737-300/-700 matters
Flight Experience: SWA
Ratings: 737s
Total Time: LOTS

He probably doesn't even work there, with a line like "Only the 737-300/-700 matters". The Southwest guys I drink with at Mr. C's aren't lame enough to say that.

Latest resources

Back