Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RVR300 said:
Dude you sound like an angry guy.
Sorry you think I lack credibility. Sorry I disagree with you. Sorry you can't let it go. Oh, and sorry I paraphrased when I should have gone back, copied, bold typed, and pasted your direct quote.

Actually, you sound like one of the regulars in the RP.

But I'll give in to this: if a guy thinks he needs prep, then he should get it. If you feel qualified, confident, and secure, then don't. But all you've done here is make these guys second guess themselves; criticizing my advise, questioning my credibility, etc. Your theme is very familiar. Are you sure you're not a regular in the RP? Maybe on the editorial board?

If that makes me sound self righteous, well I'm sorry, because I'm not. As a matter of fact, I'm about the most altruistic person you'll ever meet. SWA hired me because of my personality. My resume is what got me in the door, but the person is what got me the job offer.

RVR300,

You are a wonderful person. You get the last word. Happy holidays.

SWAdude :cool:

Last edited:
To Prep or Not to Prep

Interesting discussion.

My .02 - Three interviews at SWA. Got hired the third time. Did the interview prep for the 3rd interview. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

You decide.

Merry Christmas to all.

RVR300 said:
DON'T PREP.

Prep yourself: Write down every question you can think they might ask you, then answer them yourself.

Who would you rather talk to, a ANG mx who went forth and got his time and ratings, etc; OR A ROBOT WITH PROGRAMMED ANSWERS?

Trust me, be yourself. Don't be everyone else.

I have been a lurker for a long time and as read this entire thread I nod at SWAdude's posts and shake my head at yours. I have spent over 20 grand for my ratings and I just spent another 6 on my type. Why on earth would I not spend another 300 bucks for preparation and a little effort for what I am going to assume my one shot at my dream job. I don't care how confident I am about myself. Why would you tell anyone not to do that. Do you not prepare using all the available resources for your checkride? Why would you let the checkride of your life slip by not doing the same? Most all I know have recieved the preparation and came out very glad they did. Even the ones not offered jobs. In another thread you say that 99 percent are great people. So how is preparation messing the system up.

I appreciate your time and input.

Last edited:
There seems to be this idea out there that you can't get hired here if you don't do the secret southwest prep course. Look at all you guys who have jumped on me for not agreeing with you. The former AA, former interviewer now line guy certainly let his AA colors come through and questioned my credibility. I post a direct quote from a fellow insider and he thinks I'm lying about it.

I think it's absolutely brilliant these prep courses. They've made you all think you can't possibly be good enough to do it on your own.

For my part, I'd rather talk to someone and hear what's really going on inside them then a springloaded answer given to them by a prep service.

But that's just me. If you guys feel that the prep is something that you can't live without, then do it. What's unfortunate is the feeling here on this forum that you'd be disadvantaged if you don't.

RVR300 said:
I think it's absolutely brilliant these prep courses. They've made you all think you can't possibly be good enough to do it on your own.
RVR, I cannot speak for the other prep people on this board, but I believe if you check my posts, you will see that I have said that not everyone needs prep. I have never said that people cannot do it on their own.

For my part, I'd rather talk to someone and hear what's really going on inside them then a springloaded answer given to them by a prep service.
Like it or not, the people that sit on hiring boards, for the most part, are judging every answer that someone provides. As I said before, (and as SWInflight said) if someone does not know how to tell a story, then it makes the job much more difficult for the interviewer. I do not give people "spring-loaded" answers. I teach them to tell a story effectively.

Part of being a professional in the interview prep business (not just someone that does this as a hobby), is the amount of time spent talking with HR people, reading up on the subject and helping people to frame stories that will help them; not hurt them.

Do I assist people with challenges in their background? Absolutely! Should someone not be given another chance because of a poor choice made many years ago? I don't think so. As long as a person has learned from their mistakes, and is sincere about it, then they deserve another chance.

Let me tell you this. If someone comes to me and has not learned their lesson from a previous mistake or acts cocky, I will call them on it. I tell them how that will appear to the interviewer and how they will blow their chances. Ultimately, if they do not listen to me, I cannot help them. Thankfully, I have been very lucky and have had wonderful people that I have worked with that truly want the help; not just to punch some card saying they did interview prep.

What's unfortunate is the feeling here on this forum that you'd be disadvantaged if you don't.
Let's turn that phrase around. Instead of being "disadvantaged," let's say they are being "competitive." As I stated before, no one ever teaches people how to interview. Further, if you have not been on the other side of the desk hiring people, which, by the way, I did for 6 years, then you are at a disadvantage, in my opinion. The behavioral and situational questions are asked for a reason; to obtain an answer from which they can form an opinion about the person's character, leadership and ability to handle problems.

Effective interviewing skills from an HR perspective is something they work on constantly. Do you think that SWA just sends people into the room without any guidelines as to what they are looking for? They have to write their opinions after each question on the form, which is then used in the hiring boards. Those notes are based on perception.

I will agree with you that if someone comes in with "canned answers," then they do not deserve the job. However, if that is what people are doing, then they were not prepped correctly in the first place.

Kathy

Last edited:
The first thing I did was to read Cheryl Cage's book: "Checklist for Success." It explains how you really need to know yourself and your personal flying history well enough before you can tell others your stories. I spent weeks looking over my logbooks and doing some soul searching to really understand "who I am."

The next thing I did was ask my wife to ask me some of the example interview questions out of Cage's book. About 3 questions into our mock interview, I said "I feel like a dork." My very kind and supportive wife agreed with me.

With that, I signed up for an interview prep session. I wasn't interested in getting a bunch of canned answers (nor was my paid consultant.) I just wanted to be able to correctly deliver what was already inside of me and struggling to get out. It was the best $300 I ever spent. When I went to my SWA interview, I felt relaxed, excited, and yes, a little bit nervous. But most of all, I knew who I was, and I knew how to present myself so that others could get to know me in a short period of time.

There are some interesting opinions in this thread, and I've enjoyed reading them. I like to see opposing points of view, especially from people who know what they're talking about (ie: SWA CAs with more time in the flare than I have total time). Since I just interviewed 6 months ago, and my pool time is going to end in 2 weeks (Jan 10 class!!), I thought I could add my .02 FWIW. I hope it helps.

Good luck to you!

RVR300 said:
The former AA, former interviewer now line guy certainly let his AA colors come through and questioned my credibility. .

What colors are you showing?

I try to give you the last word and you can't leave it alone. You have first hand ignorance on this subject.

Last edited:
Swadude, I am sorry that my post brought out a rather personal response from RVR300. That was not my intent. I too question his credibility based on his responses. I have read all of this thread again and see nowhere that anyone has said or given the impression that you can't get hired here if you don't do the secret southwest prep course. RVR300, Why are you so emotional about this??

Latest resources

Back