• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWAdude, I stand corrected. I guess my confidence level was a little higher than yours was when we interviewed. Obviously it worked out well for each of us.

But you're pushing this prep thing onto these guys making it sound like they will be disadvantaged if they don't do it. And, using your position as a member of the interview team gives it officiality, and you know that is not the official company line.

RVR300 said:
SWAdude, I stand corrected. I guess my confidence level was a little higher than yours was when we interviewed. Obviously it worked out well for each of us.

But you're pushing this prep thing onto these guys making it sound like they will be disadvantaged if they don't do it. And, using your position as a member of the interview team gives it officiality, and you know that is not the official company line.

I'm not pushing anything. Its up to the individual and how they want to approach the opportunity. Some would be at a disadvantage if they didn't prep. Some would not. I'm not trying to suggest anything of the sort. Just supporting the option. Prep is also a benefit to the company. It can allow us to really get to know the person. It helps relax them. I have no doubt that we have not hired great people because the interview was difficult for them. Prep has been a large part of this business for going on 20 years. Remember FAPA? Irv Jazinski? I am no longer a member of the team and I would not be partaking in this type of discussion if I was. I have been very clear that I am a former member of the team on any of my posts that I have mentioned this experience. Once again you are just plain wrong. So tell me. Your in the know. What is the "companies official line". In all the symposiums that I attended and meetings with Paul Sterbenz then Greg Crum the Team had weekly during interviews, not once was preparation a subject or for that matter even mentioned.

This all started with this post from you:

"DON'T PREP.

Prep yourself: Write down every question you can think they might ask you, then answer them yourself.

Who would you rather talk to, a ANG mx who went forth and got his time and ratings, etc; OR A ROBOT WITH PROGRAMMED ANSWERS?

Trust me, be yourself. Don't be everyone else."

Then someone challenged you and you said:

"Okay guys, I just work there, what do I know."

Thats when I chimed in. You give advice to some that sounds like an authority when you are not. Prep is not a bad thing and you make it sound like the team knows when one has received it when that also is not true. The more you try to sound like an expert on this issue the more credibility you lose.

Were you more confident than I going through the interview? Maybe. But I think you certainly were more arrogant. Congratulations on earning the job 8 years ago.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

RVR300 said:
And by the way, out interview team can smell an interview prep answer a mile away. This is what they do.
I thought they did a better job of sniffing out dickheads than this!

Resume Writer said:
I believe the reason is simple; they do not portray their strengths and personality when they tell a story, because they do not know "how" to tell a story effectively.

Kathy
Well I sure found a way to portray my strength and personality in story telling for my interview which I recommend to all:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was open time"

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was open time"
Canyon,
Now that is funny! I don't think I've ever picked up an open time trip that didn't somehow turn into a complete cluster! But it does make the job more interesting.

I know SWAdude will jump on this, but a direct quote from a good friend who is currently on the interview team, when I asked if my other bud should do the prep, he said: "NO, we hate that."

THAT is from the source. SWAdude may not agree with it, and many of you guys on here may not as well, but I'm passing along what was told to me by the guy in the comfy seat.

RVR300,

Ask your friend how he can tell with certainty who and who hasn't received the prep. It was NEVER an issue when I was there.

Were not talking about your "imaginary" friends are we. I find it interesting that you have found a "good" friend on the team during this discussion. Why didn't you say that to begin with??

No credibility.

Last edited:
SWAdude,
I wasn't aware one had to post their qualifications on here before posting. But you obviously won't let this go.

With all that is Holy, I do indeed have a good friend currently on the interview team, who has given me the information which I have posted here. This individual has earned my admiration and respect. I flew with him as a First Officer years ago and have used his cockpit management skills as the basis for my own. Out of all the Captains I flew with as an FO, this is the one that really stands out. There is probably no one in our company better suited to conduct interviews. So you'll have to forgive me if I hold his viewpoints and advice a few rungs higher than your attack-style barbs against mine.

It serves absolutely ZERO purpose to proport any knowledge or inside info for the prospective new hires that would be to their detriment.

As far as their ability to 'spot' a prepped guy, I imagine its about the same as being able to tell within a few minutes of meeting, the background of your first officers.

In any case, I don't doubt you have these guys best interests at heart, as do I. I just wish you could acknowledge another viewpoint besides your own. You are for prep, and said you wished you had done it; I'm not, and didn't, and will continue to pass along my friend's advice to anyone who asks.

You are for prep, and said you wished you had done it

RVR300,

Show me where I said that. My direct quote:

"I too interviewed at SWA and got the job without any prep. But I can also see where prep would have benefitted me even more."

Again, you have no credibility.

I imagine its about the same as being able to tell within a few minutes of meeting, the background of your first officers.

No, Your imagination is wrong.

I just wish you could acknowledge another viewpoint besides your own.

I have. My direct quote:

"I'm not pushing anything. Its up to the individual and how they want to approach the opportunity. Some would be at a disadvantage if they didn't prep. Some would not. I'm not trying to suggest anything of the sort. Just supporting the option."

You seem to think there is no option. And that is terrible advice. And I quote you again:

"DON'T PREP.

Prep yourself: Write down every question you can think they might ask you, then answer them yourself.

Who would you rather talk to, a ANG mx who went forth and got his time and ratings, etc; OR A ROBOT WITH PROGRAMMED ANSWERS?

Trust me, be yourself. Don't be everyone else."

So you'll have to forgive me if I hold his viewpoints and advice a few rungs higher than your attack-style barbs against mine.

I'm sorry you feel like your being attacked. You are just plainly passing off bad information.

If all your looking for is for me to admit that both are acceptable. I do. Never thought otherwise. But I'm certainly not going to discourage anyone asking for help on either or any front.

Remember RVR300, this thread is about someone seeking some information so they might be able to better themselves. And you flat told them not to. That is very self-righteous.

Dude you sound like an angry guy.
Sorry you think I lack credibility. Sorry I disagree with you. Sorry you can't let it go. Oh, and sorry I paraphrased when I should have gone back, copied, bold typed, and pasted your direct quote.

Actually, you sound like one of the regulars in the RP.

But I'll give in to this: if a guy thinks he needs prep, then he should get it. If you feel qualified, confident, and secure, then don't. But all you've done here is make these guys second guess themselves; criticizing my advise, questioning my credibility, etc. Your theme is very familiar. Are you sure you're not a regular in the RP? Maybe on the editorial board?

If that makes me sound self righteous, well I'm sorry, because I'm not. As a matter of fact, I'm about the most altruistic person you'll ever meet. SWA hired me because of my personality. My resume is what got me in the door, but the person is what got me the job offer.

Latest resources

Back