• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The interview process with CSA (which is what I did until the baby was born) is very much the same as the pilot process, with the exception of the LOI and they use a group interview to screen people out.

They use the same type of questions that SWA has copyrighted. You go through an interview with an HR person (or two) and then you go through with a line person (much like the pilots). The questions asked might be slightly different, but they come from the same competencies of what SWA is looking for in a candidate.

I agree with you that people will either use a prep service or not. As I said, it is up to them. I have prepped pilots for regionals, majors, cargo (large and small), corporate and National Guard slots (to fly a highly competitive aircraft). While each interview might be different, and I tailor the interview prep to the specific situation, the process is still very much the same.

Kathy

RVR300,

"If you're to the point of being qualified to fly for SWA, then you would think one could navigate their way through a 'tell me about a time' question without coming across as a total rube."

Your interview must have been one of the easy ones. There are some questions that I wouldn't ask as for I thought they were too difficult. Go to this website and honestly tell yourself I you can come up with a thorough answer after only a few moments of though for all of the questions.http://www.willflyforfood.cc/Southwest.htm

"Guess that's not the case. I understand everyone who runs interview prep services have to plug the virtues of their service--its a business like everything else-- but I also think its in your best interest to make sure guys fork over the $$ for your assistance."

I do not run a business nor will I. I have never nor will I ever earn a single cent on the information or opinions I have.

"Granted, the military guys who are new to the civilian side of the world would probably benefit the most from using prep services, I still think they can get as much, if not more, from talking to their friends who work here."

Actually I found the military types to be better prepared than the civilians. Something you may not know is their network of information and people is far more vast than the civilians.

"And you are wrong if you think the interview team can't tell who used a prep service and who didn't."

No you can't tell who has used a service and who hasn't. The services don't make robots out of the candidates. They polish them a bit.

"If you are a bit shaky or nervous about the interview, first ask yourself why. If the prep will ease your nerves and give you a feel-good, then go for it. But if you look at the group of candidates on any given day, you can tell just by looking who's wearing the prep service interview facade."

Again, way off the mark.

"Anyway, we're beating a dead horse here. The pro-prep people (especially those who run prep services) will go on and on about why you should use them. And then there is the rest of us who didn't use prep, who 'prepped' our friends and gave them the gouge."

You got the job. Congratulations. It certainly doesn't give you enough insight to know how the whole system works. Your perspective could be damaging to a friend that might want to interview with SWA and I would recommend that if you really want them to be offered a class then stop giving them advice. Really. Its that far off the mark.

"Go with what works for you, because if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, you'll beat yourself up over it forever. For what it's worth, if you were interviewing at UAL or AA or DL, then yeah, I'm sure the prep services are necessary. For SW however, it's more about the real you."

You are giving advice based on what. All airlines try to find who you are. Delta use to have a psychologist you would have to talk to for about an hour. Tell me a prep service to deal with that type of line of questions.

"Good luck to everyone. SW is a fantastic place to call home!"

Absolutely! Six total airlines that include three majors, this is home.

"One more thing! STOP WORRYING!!! Christmas is but 4 days away. Toast to the season, fly safe, and keep your chin up. It doesn't matter if you're a crop duster or an astronaut. Your personality is what is going to get you hired."

Can anyone tell you how to feel? Two words. Mutual-Respect.

"Merry Christmas to all"

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you also.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

RVR300 said:
Kathy,

I don't know how the flight attendant interview process works, except that it is vastly different from the pilot side.
FWIW, I've recruited Inflight for awhile now...the process is pretty straightforward.

Potential F/As are invited to a Group Interview which lasts several hours. During that time, the candidates are given an overview of the job, training, lifestyle, benefits, etc. Next up is a team building activity and an oral presentation that allows the interview team to evaluate the candidates and decide who should be chosen to "continue in the process"

Phase II is a series of two face to face interviews, one with an interview team member and another with a recruiter. Each interview averages about 40 minutes and consists of a series of TMAAT questions. After both interviews there is an on the spot "Decision Board" when the interview team member and recruiter, compare notes, discuss the candidates strengths and weaknesses and make a decision.

The "Yes" candidates are called within a couple of weeks for drug testing and are placed in "the pool" once they clear backgrounds. The "No"s get the dreaded letter within 14 days.

I have no idea how it compares to the pilot interview process but that's how it works with inflight.

Since the topic is interview prep let my add my .02 cents...one of the most frustrating parts of the one on one interviews is extracting useable information from candidates. Say I ask a candidate to "Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to assist a Customer." The most common answer is usually along the lines of...."Well, where I work now, we always try to look for opportunities to go above and beyond and I think that is a good philosophy for any company." That is all very nice but it didn't answer my question. I am asking the applicant to tell me about a specific time when they went out of their way to help a Customer. Anyone who has worked in Customer Service long enough to rate a second interview as a F/A for SWA should be able to answer that question...you'd be surprised how many can't or just won't. In the end we both suffer...I have to ask the same question 4 diffferent ways just to get an answer and in some cases, the candidate blows their chance at getting the job...for this go round at least.

Where interview prep would help...from my perspective is that if someone would just sit down with these folks and help them take a look a their experiences from my perspective.....it would make things go much more smoothly in the interview and increase their chances of success. There is a difference between a rehearsed candidate and a prepared candidate and we can tell the difference.

RVR,

Let me preface this by saying that I do not run or have any finacial stake in any interview service.

Here is a simple risk versus return matrix on interview prep:

1. No interview prep: Risk..no job. Return....save $300
2. Interview Prep: Risk...$300 wasted Return....multi million dollar career.

How would you feel if you go an interview, didn't do the prep, and then didn't get hired? ...I should have had a V8? For the rest of your life you will be troubled by the nagging question, "would that interview prep have given me the edge I needed to be hired?"

You took a big risk and it paid off for you....but that was a foolish risk that I do not condone.

I spent the money and got hired simply because I wanted the absultely best chance to succeed. You are most likely not going to get another crack at this process.

EP

Miscellaneous Ramblings

With apologies to Tony Hogg..

And a couple o questions,

About interview prep. Military guys have been getting it for years, to them it's just a part of their service experience. They actually worked for an entity that gave training as well as took their labor. Many civilians get to the point of a big interview with ever having taken part in a real interview. I happen to be such a case. I had a bunch of time (many times over todays regional mins) in the scheduled service environment before I ever actually participated in a "real" interview. Up to that point, my "interviews" had consisted of something like a short period with the Chief Pilot and maybe a mickeymouse written test. I had absolutely ZERO training for presenting myself in any kind of professional environment. Getting interview prep is just a way to expose ones-self to the situation. Would a prudent pilot make his first DCA departure without having studied the departure? No, he wouldn't, and no prudent pilot should go into a major interview without having studied/practiced/prepared for the experience.

I'll agree that the prep services popular in the mid nineties might have been turning out clones, but that is exactly what UA, DL, AA, etc, wanted.

Remember dear ones, it's all about getting the job. RVR300 happened to get on without any professional prep, but that was sometime around 1996 (according to his posts). You may do the same, who knows? Go ahead and prep yourself if you feel lucky.

Can we talk about the SWA process?????

My study tells me that it's smoke and mirrors. Ponder this, They claim to screen for personality, yet they allow someone who fails to try again at a later date. I'll submit to you, that such a policy is tacit admittance that the process is not valid. After writing that flame attractant, I'll go further and say that whole dog and pony show is intended to pacify pilots who want to keep their hand in the hiring process. Here's my reasoning, (btw, I'll admit to making certain assumptions. my experience being limited and based upon anecdotal evidence gleaned here and on other interview sites) SWA uses line pilots to administer the one on one interviews, but the interviewer doesn't get to make the hiring decision. If the system

.....duty calls, I'll complete this later, Or most likely re-enter the fray at a point down the line and spend most of my time on defense instead of continuing my ramblings.

Calvin

Good Lord boys, GO DO THE PREP, forget everything I said. Tell them what you think they want to hear, or what the prepper thinks they want to hear. After all, according to SWAdude no one can tell.

If spending the $300 dollars is going to put yourself at ease, then (as I said) go for it.

This thread started with a guy in Memphis looking for advice. Mine was to not be a lemming and the rest of you jump all over me for it. I have nothing to gain here except to fly with good new first officers. Now you guys probably have the poor dude in Memphis about ready to have a heartattack. Good job.

There is an expression: keep it simple. This isn't nuclear physics. It's tell me about the best and worst, what have you learned, how have you grown, etc. Is it hard to talk about the worst event in your life? I should hope so.

No, I would not say my interview was easy. It's an interview. And yes, we talked about all the extremes of the career, the good and the bad. Don't be affraid to be yourself. Is that the same advice I'd give to someone interviewing at UAL? NO. Anyone who's interviewed there can back that up. But this isn't UAL or anywhere else.

Like everyone that interviews at SW you come out of it feeling good. Sure you can second guess yourself all the way until you hear word from the DB.

Had I to do it all over again, would I do anything different? Not a chance.

But hey, I already have the job. SWAdude seems to think my info is off the mark. For him, maybe it is. For me and the guys I helped out then evidence to the contrary.

It's not rocket science. You guys should embrace this 'dreamshot' and look forward to the experience. What I get from reading the other posts is that many of you are terrified and completely stressed out about it. I say 'relax' and I get hit with words to the effect of 'what is your basis on that'

Basis: 15 years of airline flying. Two commuters, one charter, and SWA. 4 successful interviews (UAL being the lone bad one-thank God for that) Jetstream 31's then EMB-120 Brasilias, then ATR-42s, then MD-11s, then SWA.
Was the Southwest interview the nicest? Of course. Did I know I had the job? Of course not, no one does until you hear from the Chiefs.

Don't do what everyone else says, do whats right for you.

Thanks for all the info folks. If people could let me know who they used for their prep work and why they thought they were good/bad?

Thanks in advance again,

Needsumluv

RVR300,

You tell not to get the prep but yet you haven't used it. You give interviewing advice yet never have been an interviewer at SWA. Just because you got the job doesn't mean you are right or wrong. Your personal experience is valid. But one experience through this process pales in comparison to those that sat behind the desk and seen hundreds of interviews from a different perspective. The perspective that I'm sure You would have wanted 8 years ago. I too interviewed at SWA and got the job without any prep. But I can also see where prep would have benefitted me even more.

Personally I listen to those who seem to have more or different experience than I so maybe I might learn something.

You plainly give, at best, incomplete advice to this board that people come to for guidance. Your pride has clouded your judgment.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

I've helped a bunch...at SWA, JB, FedEx, AirTran and ATA. Got a few UPS guys going through soon...we'll see how that goes.

Why don't you ask former clients about what they think?

If you want some emails of my former SWA clients, send me a PM. You can get their take on what helped (and/or what didn't...)

Cheers...

Reagan, what a President

Like I told Albie before I used him for a prep session, "The last time I interviewed, Reagan was President", I just wanted the experience. If you have lots, don't prep, if like me it's been years or decades, by all means, see what is out there.

Latest resources

Back