SWA memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA Prep

The prep I would recommend is similar to the advice given earlier. I would suggest you think of situations where you changed procedures that improved some aspect of the flying, service or efficency in your past flying. I would then think of time you handled unusual situations. IE fellow crewmembers, or passangers that were a problem and how you handled them. Finally, I would reflect on times when your performance was not up to your standards and how you fixed that problem. The LOI's are pretty basic. There is no right answer per se. If you are familar with the FAR's and the use of Dispatch, then you can work through any situation they give you by remembering 4 things....
1 Maintain aircraft control
2 Analyze the situation
3 Take proper action
4 Maintain situational awareness.
Good Luck

RVR,

While I respect your position at SWA, I have to disagree that interview prep services give you "canned answers." As Tony said, if you do an interview prep with someone that has no idea how to prep a person, then you are asking for trouble.

I prepped four different people in the last 3-4 months for SWA and every one of them got hired. So, the comment that they can "smell an interview prep answer" is obviously incorrect.

Let me explain to you that I have been doing this a long time. The one thing that I have seen over my 18 years of resume writing and interview prep (not just for aviation by the way) is that people do not know how to formulate a story. It is not their fault; no one ever teaches you how to interview well.

For what it is worth, if I think a person will do fine in an interview (and I can tell this just by the way they handle my resume consultation on the phone), I will not even suggest interview prep. It is a matter of ethics; I do not take people's money just to take their money.

I have prepped people from customer service professionals all the way up to CEOs. I help them to formulate their answers based upon their stories in a succinct format. When we form the stories, I remind them that they might have about 3 minutes to tell a story, so it better be well-framed.

Then my last bit of advice to them is this: answer the question and shut up. Most people have no idea where to end a story. When a story is formulated well, and they understand the concepts I teach them, they know when to stop.

Anyway, there are strong opinions on both sides of this fence. That is o.k. There are many people that do not need prep and that works great for them. But, for those that have not interviewed that much, do not feel comfortable or have challenges in their background, then I would strongly suggest interview prep with someone who has a good reputation.

Kathy

I should have also stated that the free option worked just fine for me. There are good testimonials from people that have already interviewed. I also found the examples of interview questions very accurate and useful. Gool Luck.

With all due respect RVR300 and Benhuntn, I do not believe your advice is very good.

Prep is not a bad thing. Being canned is not a good thing. Being canned does not mean that equals being prepared.

Getting Prep can take away the jitters and allow the interviewer to get to know you better. On that note being canned does not allow the interviewer to know who you are. Good prep goes over these differences and its out there.

As for knowing:

1 Maintain aircraft control
2 Analyze the situation
3 Take proper action
4 Maintain situational awareness.

These are SWA procedures and that is not what the interviewers are looking for. They are looking for the ability of making timely decisions and reflecting on the decisions you have made.

If you choose not to use prep that does not mean you will not be offered employment. If you use a preparation service that does not guarantee a class date. I do know as a former interviewer that preparation can help one more than it can hurt. Some think showing your prepared can count against you in the interview. When, from my point of view, it shows how much your willing to put forth in doing the best you can. And it shows character you can offer the company.

Best of luck.

SWAdude :cool:

Prep

Here's some advice for what it's worth from a new-hire:

Wasn't going to prep but ended up going with a friend to a great lady named Fae Simmons in San Antonio right before my interview. I have always felt extremely comfortable talking to people but I realized in the prep that I had never really answered those kind of questions in that kind of format before. If doing a prep will make you a little more comfortable for the big day, do it. But once is definitely enough. RVR is right when he says the most important thing is to be yourself. But realistically, most of those you are interviewing with will have had some kind of prep with an expert and might come off a little more polished. But you DEFINITELY don't want to go in there and seem canned - they will sniff that out and that is not what they are looking for. They are also not looking for the "right" answers. But there is a format to how they like to see questions answered and a little familiarity/practice can only help. They really want to get to know you. But if in not prepping you go in and feel nervous and lock up they won't get to know you either. So keep everything in perspective. I unfortunately know some really good guys who (in my opinion) way over-prepared, memorizing flash cards with "right" answers, and did not pass their interviews. And realize that what SWA is looking for in their interview process is different from many other carriers. As they say, if they feel they didn't get to know you in their interview with you, they won't recommend you to the decision board.

Good luck...

There are several things that most interviewers are looking for when they hire, no matter where you are applying (airline or non-airline).

The first one is being able to think on your feet and use good judgment. That is not something that can be learned in a short interview prep session. Being able to think on your feet usually comes from life experience. Assistance can be given for this by a prep person, but it usually takes more than a one-hour session. That is the job of a good prep service; can they draw upon YOUR experiences and help you decide which one is relevant to the questions that might be asked of you.

This is very clear as to why SWA does the LOI. They throw you a scenario and you have 5 minutes to prep for it. They are looking to see if you can work as a team member, that you can utilize all your resources and keep everybody "in the loop" of the decisions you are making. They also want to make sure you are not a control freak and can delegate, but not TOO much delegaion.

The LOI is very much like your flying on an every day basis. You get presented with situations all the time, whether it be a drunk passenger or the weather going below minimums, you need to think on your feet to resolve the situation in the safest possible manner for everyone.

The second is the ability to solve problems. Hence, the reason why they ask all the "tell me about a time" questions. Remember, past performance predicts future performance. The ability to solve problems also plays a part in the LOI.

The third thing they are looking for is a leader (very much so with SWA). Airlines select First Officers, but they hire Captains. They want to see if you can get along with others, in addition to making tough decisions if that time ever comes.

I have just been asked by a reporter from the Tribune newspapers here to do a story on what I look for in an interview. Whereas they mostly use current HR people, she wanted a fresh perspective from someone who does interview prep coaching on a regular basis. I think it is going to make an interesting article!

I believe you can get a good start with the type of questions that are shared on aviationinterviews.com, but it is truly knowing HOW to answer those questions that makes the difference. I know I use the site all the time to assist my clients in their interview prep. Thanks to Mike for keeping that site going!

If you want to do something really simple, do what I tell my clients to do: THINK like the person on the other side of the table. What would you want to hear? What would YOU be looking for in a candidate based upon the knowledge you have of the culture of that company? I dare say that an interview at SWA is VERY different than American Airlines (when they were hiring).

Kathy

Last edited:
If you're to the point of being qualified to fly for SWA, then you would think one could navigate their way through a 'tell me about a time' question without coming across as a total rube.

Guess that's not the case. I understand everyone who runs interview prep services have to plug the virtues of their service--its a business like everything else-- but I also think its in your best interest to make sure guys fork over the $$ for your assistance.

The guys quoting the QRH I think is a bad thing. That seems to set guys up for doing badly on the LOI. They don't want the Colonel puffing out his chest and taking command of the trainer. They want to see you work with all your assets.

Granted, the military guys who are new to the civilian side of the world would probably benefit the most from using prep services, I still think they can get as much, if not more, from talking to their friends who work here.

And you are wrong if you think the interview team can't tell who used a prep service and who didn't.

If you are a bit shakey or nervous about the interview, first ask yourself why. If the prep will ease your nerves and give you a feel-good, then go for it. But if you look at the group of candidates on any given day, you can tell just by looking who's wearing the prep service interview facade.

Anyway, we're beating a dead horse here. The pro-prep people (especially those who run prep services) will go on and on about why you should use them. And then there is the rest of us who didn't use prep, who 'prepped' our friends and gave them the gouge.

Go with what works for you, because if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, you'll beat yourself up over it forever. For what it's worth, if you were interviewing at UAL or AA or DL, then yeah, I'm sure the prep services are necessary. For SW however, it's more about the real you.

Good luck to everyone. SW is a fantastic place to call home!

One more thing! STOP WORRYING!!! Christmas is but 4 days away. Toast to the season, fly safe, and keep your chin up. It doesn't matter if you're a crop duster or an astronaut. Your personality is whats going to get you hired.

Merry Christmas to all

RVR300 said:
If you're to the point of being qualified to fly for SWA, then you would think one could navigate their way through a 'tell me about a time' question without coming across as a total rube.
Just curious - if this is true, then why does the People Department use the TMAAT format? Do you think it might be to "weed out" people, since they are looking for a certain person to work for SWA? Understand that some people can be great candidates, have everything that SWA is looking for and still blow it. I believe the reason is simple; they do not portray their strengths and personality when they tell a story, because they do not know "how" to tell a story effectively.

Guess that's not the case. I understand everyone who runs interview prep services have to plug the virtues of their service--its a business like everything else-- but I also think its in your best interest to make sure guys fork over the $$ for your assistance.
Yes, I run a business, but it is not just interview prep. Further, I do not just work with pilots, so the theory that I might be out to take pilot's money does not hold water. Many people on this board will tell you that the FIRST thing I ask them to do when they inquire about my resume service is to send me a copy of their resume and I will look at it and tell them if it is fine the way it is.

I have told pilots and my other clients that inquire about interview prep not to do it because I think they will do fine. Maybe others will just "take the money and run," but I do not.

For what it is worth, I do not charge big $$$ for an interview prep. Click on my company name in my signature and take a look at what I charge for interview prep.

And you are wrong if you think the interview team can't tell who used a prep service and who didn't.
If that is a true statement, then obviously the People Department did not have an issue with my clients being prepared, as they were successful and were hired.

One thing you should know RVR is this: I was hired at SWA; albeit not as a pilot, but the interview process is still the same. (they did not copyright their interview system just for pilots) I guess I was pretty "prepped" as I do this for a living. But somehow, I got the job just the same.

As I said in my first post and I will say it again, there are many people that simply do not need my services. Further, I tell them just that.

But if you look at the group of candidates on any given day, you can tell just by looking who's wearing the prep service interview facade.
Please expand on this. What is the "interview facade" of which you speak?

For SW however, it's more about the real you.
I do not prep people to be someone they are not. I do not teach them to answer questions like a robot. I teach them to use their own stories and help them to "cut to the chase" instead of putting in extra information that is not relevant.

RVR, I hired people for six years. I started my business 18 years ago because I wanted to help people before they got to a person like me. I also worked in the airline biz for 16 years. Like the others on this board who provide prep, I have inside knowledge about what they are looking for because I worked as a crew member.

People always have a choice of whether they work with an interview prep person. I do not see prep providers on this board telling people that they "have" to be prepped. It is a service that is offered if people feel they need it AND if I (cannot speak for the others) feel they need it.

Kathy

Kathy,

I don't know how the flight attendant interview process works, except that it is vastly different from the pilot side.

Sorry.. trade secret as far as recognizing a 'preppy' :)

The guys will do what they're going to do no matter what you or I say, so that's pretty much the ballgame.

I do have inside info; I don't support professional prep services for candidates; and when asked by prospects I pass along the info from the source, and that is they don't like it.

Latest resources

Back