SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What exactly is an "emergency takeoff"?
Maybe it's because the FAA had to approve it. Maybe the news media just has no idea what it's talking about like every time someone taxis onto the grass the plane "went off the runway OMG there were no injuries."

My thoughts exactly freight dog

Most of these superiority complex bitches are a pain in the ass to fly with. Smug but can't fly out of a paper bag.

Aviation history is written in blood fellas. Your "discipline" comes from mistakes like these. Your energy is better spent humbly learning from what they did than walking around smug that it'll never happen to you.

You're exactly the one it will happen to.

As for no visuals inside the marker?
C'mon-
That violates every part of my turboprop background-

There's nothing unsafe about visuals and sidesteps- just back things up-

Now, if you need the time- go ahead and take it and feel good about that- but maybe some of these guys that can't work the fms without an insane amount of time and energy devoted to it, should practice more and get proficient with an integral part of the airplane-

We had the opposite discussion when Asiana happened.
For our 5-figure salaries and to respect the profession and be really good at ALL aspects of flying. Where you're weak, be humble and wise enough to get to work on it- whether it's hand-flying or quick programming an fms -
I'm not throwing our training under the bus for the "heads down" issues- they are in fact issues- the solution then is to get pilots more familiar with the fms and train them on it until they are proficient.
Ever take a check ride with a capt who doesn't program much in that role and just let go of any knowledge they ever had on it- when they have to quick re-program it can take forever and this scenario is probably why that's a problem.

What's funny is they're the ones who will tell you not to go heads down-
It's like "man, this doesn't equate to a distraction for me, just bc it's one for you- and I like my needles and info going to the same spot"

I find it amazing you and others want to dismiss the severity. There is no superiority complex, I take my command serious. If I don't see the airport or know for certain it is the right one I will go around or hold until I'm ready. This is much larger than SWA. It's about a coming to work with your A game every time.

If you think a certain number of mistakes as a captain are OK, please tell me which ones are? I'm dying to know as I'm sure others are. You're attitude comes from thinking this is an attack on SWA. It couldn't Be farther from the truth. This is about airmanship...

Who is the approach facility and was Bransons tower open?

Branson (BKG) - airport of intended landing, is a private airport with airline ops. Has tower with non-FAA controllers. Springfield approach does vectors. Tower usually asks to report 2 mile final before issuing landing clearance.

As for being heads down, if you can't change a landing runway in any FMS in 15 seconds during flight, than you should not be flying the airplane that FMS is attached to. And if you can't find 15 seconds on approach to dedicate to that change, then you should not be flying that approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightdogfred
Ok tuff guy... I'm guessing you're one of the tens of thousands.

The guy fukked up royal but didn't slide off the end. It could have been way worse. I've been flying a long time but have not yet met the guy who walks on water.[/]

I always find it odd when people (and mostly media) say 'it could've been a lot worse'. Things always could be a lot worse.

Well said!

I happen to like living in an objective world where what actually happened matters.
Address it systemically- give them a vacation and some sim time and move on.

I find it amazing you and others want to dismiss the severity. There is no superiority complex, I take my command serious. If I don't see the airport or know for certain it is the right one I will go around or hold until I'm ready. This is much larger than SWA. It's about a coming to work with your A game every time.

If you think a certain number of mistakes as a captain are OK, please tell me which ones are? I'm dying to know as I'm sure others are. You're attitude comes from thinking this is an attack on SWA. It couldn't Be farther from the truth. This is about airmanship...

Can someone say "bid avoid"^^^^

Go on capt america, do your thing-
You're the guy who will be trying to bring his A game so hard you'll miss a hundred things- and your flying partner is rolling their eyes at you.

I stand by everything I said- your attitude is dangerous and common in incidences and accidents.

Again, using this as a reminder to fight complacency is a LOT different than the superiority complex you got on display.
Humility is as necessary as confidence in flying

(Attack on SWA? I don't give a rats ass about that)

Last edited:
As for being heads down, if you can't change a landing runway in any FMS in 15 seconds during flight, than you should not be flying the airplane that FMS is attached to. And if you can't find 15 seconds on approach to dedicate to that change, then you should not be flying that approach.

Yeah-
And god forbid multi-task

Barring egregious disregard of SOPs I'd think a tailor-made LOFT with some OE with a line check ought to do it. Of course getting the POI to buy off on it is necessary and they are often political animals.
One thing for sure, you've got two pilots who'll never do that again.

Latest resources

Back