• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We all know that there isn't just one thing that makes an accident/incident. The "error chain" is something that is familiar to all of us. The problem here is, in the last 12 months, SWA as a company has broken A LOT of links in the chain. Someone at Dallas Love needs to sit down and stop this - now! The next crew may not be so "lucky".

Ok tuff guy... I'm guessing you're one of the tens of thousands.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's a human factor of the equation. If your "cockpit discipline" inclines you to believe you can't or won't please advertise your avatar on the PA prior to departure on the odd chance I'm onboard so I can head for the exit. You want hit that captain in the mouth? I'd have loved to see that one. The guy fukked up royal but didn't slide off the end. It could have been way worse. I've been flying a long time but have not yet met the guy who walks on water.[/

this is an issue with two extreme different views. Never said you can't make mistakes. I preach and practice CRM. But this one and Marvin renslows in buffalo. Are the unpardonable ones. Death was just a few yards away

This was an epic failure of cockpit discipline just like Asiana. Air. No free get out of jail cards. No pats on the back. And don't try to put every airline pilot in the same boat . This is as egregious as the comair Lexington disaster .

Tough cookies. It's my opinion. I could never fly passengers again knowing I almost killed 124 . It's over. Find a new career.
This is an opinion only .

I think you stole this directly out of my brain. Exactly what I was thinking. We battle complacency everyday. Events like this are a wake up call. Every flight we make to Podunk Illinois has consequences if we let complacency win. Watching that sole survivor show gave me chills because that comair flight couldn't happen to anyone. Half awake climbing into the cockpit at 4am . Operating on cruise control, going through the motions doing the same flight you've done a thousand times before. Then there you are screaming down the runway and it hits you. That comair crew ruined the lives of hundreds of people and that fo lives in a place worse than hell. I don't know how he carries on. That southwest flight could have killed a lot of people. The crew must answer to that. The battle against complacency is ongoing and is not easy. Some days are worse than others were all guilty of it. I fly with some people and they're playing the lottery every day. Just waiting for that day when the swiss cheese lines up right. This flight , the comair flight , the psa flight in Charleston , good examples to think about every time you push back from the gate.

I used to not believe or subscribe to the FAA's definition of a distressed carrier status during a merger or acquisition. However, I don't think that any of us at WN or FL can deny that things have felt very distressed from an operational standpoint for the last 18-24 months or so and appears to be getting worse. I think that we can all learn something from these types of mishaps, and hope that we do, so that something like this doesn't happen again. I think that we can all agree that this has the potential to happen to any crew especially when landing at an unfamiliar Airport at night with no ground based approach. I personally always do some sort of RNAV GPS backup even when flying visually just because I'm paranoid and know that the same thing could happen to me. I hope that this crew does keep their job, as I think they will both be changed pilots if given another chance to prove themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightdogfred

The guy fukked up royal but didn't slide off the end. It could have been way worse. I've been flying a long time but have not yet met the guy who walks on water.[/]

I always find it odd when people (and mostly media) say 'it could've been a lot worse'. Things always could be a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightdogfred

The guy fukked up royal but didn't slide off the end. It could have been way worse. I've been flying a long time but have not yet met the guy who walks on water.[/]

I always find it odd when people (and mostly media) say 'it could've been a lot worse'. Things always could be a lot worse.

Well said and things could always be better. But it is what it is.

Latest resources

Back