• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Intel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't believe any 737s have ADGs/RATs. No, not required for ETOPs.

Thanks for that.

Any SWA guys heard the HNL-ANC-EUR story? I got it from a highly placed SWA insider. Hope it is true.

Thanks for that.

Any SWA guys heard the HNL-ANC-EUR story? I got it from a highly placed SWA insider. Hope it is true.

In my opinion HNL will happen, as ETOPS certification will be getting under way in the next few months (from what I hear). Obviously just getting the training programs planned and manuals written, etc, since it's another year before the a/c is even on property.

Gary even mentioned recently that Alaska was something the -800 could be used for, so that wouldn't be a surprise at all. There's been no mention of specifics in regards to ANC.

I can't imagine Europe being in our route network. It doesn't make sense. We don't have IFE, first class, inflight meals, lounges, and all those other things that business travelers want on those trans-oceanic flights. I wouldn't think that we'd jump into something like that if we knew that we wouldn't get anything from the business traveler.

Last edited:
The General will keep re-hashing his 'Southwest can't do anything' mantra as long as he can.

The other thing that most people don't know is that ETOPS work has been well underway already. Hawaii and Alaska are almost a definite. I see Europe and beyond down the road.

It could easily be run as a seperate international ops setup, fed by 3200 daily domestic flights. Timeline is a little bit more questionable. Gary has always pointed to 2012 being a big year for us. Plus the additional hiring of 200 more pilots now instead of the original 100. Thing are looking up.

RF

The General will keep re-hashing his 'Southwest can't do anything' mantra as long as he can.

The other thing that most people don't know is that ETOPS work has been well underway already. Hawaii and Alaska are almost a definite. I see Europe and beyond down the road.

It could easily be run as a seperate international ops setup, fed by 3200 daily domestic flights. Timeline is a little bit more questionable. Gary has always pointed to 2012 being a big year for us. Plus the additional hiring of 200 more pilots now instead of the original 100. Thing are looking up.

RF

Agreed.

The training guy who manages our 'ETOPS light' ;) (60 minute exemption) has been liaising with the SWA ETOPS team. He was shocked that SWA was using 16 people to work on it. We used an intern, a ball of string and a gifted monkey.

Latest resources

Back