• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I happen to know the General from a company I worked for in the past. He doesn't even fly for Delta. All of this carrying on for all these years seems more than a little creepy to me. Bordering on sad.

Say what????? So, you know me from where again? The only places I used to work before my current job (DL) was Midway Connect and Chippendales. I think you were one of the guys that tried to slip me a five spot in my shorts when it was supposed to be for women ONLY. Of course, you probably looked like a girl so they let you in. Talk about sad! Bye Hosefina!

Bye Bye--General Lee

1st. will you go back to UAL ( yes i bet )

2nd A/F buddies that say its like regional flying? how would they know?

First, why go back to UAL? No way. Having flown for both a legacy and an extremely well funded private operation, there is no comparison. Sure, there are no guarantees, but my owner is one of the most successful hedge fund managers - at the top of the pyramid if you read the WSJ. We are not talking Bernie Madoff - far from it. You would see him on CNBC frequently. OK, maybe he will go broke someday - oh well. Until then, I am doing very well financially (some of my money is tied up with the owner's funds and my returns have been excellent during this down period) and, just in case, my wife has a stellar job. After my AF career, I could quit flying if I wanted to, but I really enjoy flying the Global worldwide. I actually ENJOY flying - the Global is an awesome aircraft (IMHO) and I fly maybe 30 hours per month on average. The owner is considering placing an order on a Gulfstream 650 position - I would be in favor of that selection. I get great route variety: I was in Southern Europe recently (my wife got to tag along and my kids are grown) and we are going to Maui and the South Pacific in a few weeks. We always stay in 5-star hotels with the owner and we have no real expense account (just nothing too crazy). We do Aspen, the Bahamas and PBI during the winter - the normal stuff you would expect. I am not the Chief Pilot, so, I don't do much administratively - I primarily fly and ensure a safe operation. The owner fully respects us and our flying decisions - we can cancel a flight and never have an issue. He is very aviation savvy and he appreciates our role. For the most part I know my schedules but there are some pop-up trips. So, after all that, why would I want to return to UAL? Especially with the impending merger integration mess? No thanks.

How can my AF buddies compare SWA to regionals? Well, one commutes on regionals to get to his base. Does that answer your question? Give me a break. Flying PHX-LAX-OAK-SAN-SJC or ALB-BWI-MCO-TPA sounds like regional flying to me - and it sounds boring and tiring. Sure, you can throw a few transcons like SAN-BWI or PHX-RDU into the mix but multiple short-distance hops sounds very regional to me. Regionals like Skywest and Republic and Comair do that type of short-hop flying - right?

If you like your flying, good for you. I am not interested in the "my flying is better than your flying" squabbling. My dad is bigger than your dad. Who cares? This is a tough business and you should enjoy your work if at all possible. I would not like your flying - but that's just me. I like to fly internationally and I like variety. I don't want to fly short hops every day (or most days). I agree that SWA is a great bet for stability and financial security. But not everyone wants to get into that type of flying. Does that answer your questions? If not, we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
And thats the bottom line. I personally like the fact that we are allowed to be as productive as we want to be. Not like the nanny-state ALPA 85 hr committee that we had at the legacy airline I worked for.

I feel bad for your frends from the AF who clearly didn't do their research before they came here. What kind of flying did they think we did here ? Could they really not have known how it was done at SWA ?

But then again, you've been around. No doubt, you've seen negative attitudes from pilots in the AF....from pilots at UAL ...and from pilots at Global Express....every organization has them.

For me, having previously been employed at a poorly managed legacy airline....I'm glad I am here and am still happy with my choice....it ain't perfect and we have our share of issues too.....but, overall, 11 years later, I still look forward to flying....that's what floats my boat.

Hmmm. Maybe you don't understand how it works at some legacies. There is an average line value each month, and you can exceed it by 15 hours if you want. PBS allows you to bid high or low for the month also. And, to top it off, you can use the swap board or swap with the pot (a company function) and swap a 1 day trip for a 3 day, or vice versa, and go way above the cap. You can fly over 100 hours a month if you want to (INTL pilot category), usually due to credit built into trips. The swap boards are for pilots and they can swap a 1 day for a 12 day trip if they want to.

And, I am glad you still look forward to multiple leg days and that 737 every trip. Get back to us in a few years and tell us if you still feel the same way. (I hope so) If we get bored, we can switch fleets, bases, routes, layovers, etc. Trips vary from 1 day out and backs to 12 day trips worth 83 hours, and all in between. Variety is the spice of life, you know...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
First, why go back to UAL? No way. Having flown for both a legacy and an extremely well funded private operation, there is no comparison. Sure, there are no guarantees, but my owner is one of the most successful hedge fund managers - at the top of the pyramid if you read the WSJ. We are not talking Bernie Madoff - far from it. You would see him on CNBC frequently. OK, maybe he will go broke someday - oh well. Until then, I am doing very well financially (some of my money is tied up with the owner's funds and my returns have been excellent during this down period) and, just in case, my wife has a stellar job. After my AF career, I could quit flying if I wanted to, but I really enjoy flying the Global worldwide. I actually ENJOY flying - the Global is an awesome aircraft (IMHO) and I fly maybe 30 hours per month on average. The owner is considering placing an order on a Gulfstream 650 position - I would be in favor of that selection. I get great route variety: I was in Southern Europe last week (my wife got to tag along and my kids are grown) and we are going to Maui and the South Pacific in a few weeks. We always stay in 5-star hotels with the owner and we have no real expense account (just nothing too crazy). We do Aspen, the Bahamas and PBI during the winter - the normal stuff you would expect. I am not the Chief Pilot, so, I don't do much administratively - I primarily fly and ensure a safe operation. The owner fully respects us and our flying decisions - we can cancel a flight and never have an issue. He is very aviation savvy and he appreciates our role. For the most part I know my schedules but there are some pop-up trips. So, after all that, why would I want to return to UAL? Especially with the impending merger integration mess? No thanks.

How can my AF buddies compare SWA to regionals? Well, one commutes on regionals to get to his base. Does that answer your question? Give me a break. Flying PHX-LAX-OAK-SAN-SJC or ALB-BWI-MCO-TPA sounds like regional flying to me - and it sounds boring and tiring. Sure, you can throw a few transcons like SAN-BWI or PHX-RDU into the mix but multiple short-distance hops sounds very regional to me. Regionals like Skywest and Republic and Comair do that type of short-hop flying - right?

If you like your flying, good for you. I am not interested in the "my flying is better than your flying" squabbling. My dad is bigger than your dad. Who cares? This is a tough business and you should enjoy your work if at all possible. I would not like your flying - but that's just me. I like to fly internationally and I like variety. I don't want to fly short hops every day (or most days). I agree that SWA is a great bet for stability and financial security. But not everyone wants to get into that type of flying. Does that answer your questions? If not, we can agree to disagree.

Yeah, how do your AF buddies know SWA flying is like Regional flying? You mean multiple "hop" days? Probably different. But, SWA flying in reality is a lot like Regional flying, but it pays better. I love it when they state that they have 4 leg 4 day trips that are very efficient. That is a LIE. They may have some trips with fewer legs on some of the days, but that just isn't how SWA works. The key is that they may have 3 legs the first day, but that really is 2 more than most legacies. They might fly BWI to LAS, where the legacy pilots would get off and go to a hotel. The SWA guys fly all the way to LAS, and then go onto ONT, and then again onto SMF. Talk about being worked like DAWGS. It's the truth. There is ALWAYS an extra leg or two to make you go NUTS. Do that for 20 or more years, and you could go INSANE. Have a FANTASTIC day.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GLee,

I have averaged less than 4 legs per day for the last 4 years. Occasionally, I will be a bit tired at the end of the day, but we have good overnight hotels and plenty of rest scheduled. Pay per day and days off are what get you to the end of your career without being used up.

You obviously haven't learned much since flying the EMB-120 out of MDW.

GLee,

I have averaged less than 4 legs per day for the last 4 years. Occasionally, I will be a bit tired at the end of the day, but we have good overnight hotels and plenty of rest scheduled. Pay per day and days off are what get you to the end of your career without being used up.

You obviously haven't learned much since flying the EMB-120 out of MDW.

AVERAGED is the key word in your statement. When it comes to potential newhires, which SWA won't be having for awhile apparently, those guys will fly the worst trips out there via seniority. With the lack of movement at SWA, that means future SWA pilots and current low seniority pilots will be stuck with the trips that have more than 4 legs per day, which can tire you out (I used to do them during my commuter days at MDW, I know). Since this thread is about SWA hiring or potential hiring, it might be good for potential new hires to know about this. Just like new hires at INTL airlines may go to Lagos (not likely anymore--mainly hiring into the small bus and MD90 supposedly), potential new hires at SWA will be inundated with ELP and LBB. I don't know which is worse...??? Have a FANTASTIC day.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Bottom line is I can work 15 days a month and get 115-135 TFP if I play my cards right and do a little leg work on the computer. Or I can work 12-13 days a month and get about 95-105 TFP.

If I fly more than my guarantee [87/month except feb(85)]....I GET PAID THAT MONTH. It's a good deal. When you go up for your next section six at your company....whoever that is...remember...work rules/rigs/DG/TAFB/ETC can make your W2 go way up[isn't that what counts the most?]. Comparing hours at your company to TFP and the way we do things here is like apples and oranges.

When we do start hiring...to those in the pool and interviewing....we fly a lot of legs and sometimes have long days...but the package is great. :beer:
Hope to see the POOLIES dry real soon for all our sakes.

Say what????? So, you know me from where again? The only places I used to work before my current job (DL) was Midway Connect and Chippendales. I think you were one of the guys that tried to slip me a five spot in my shorts when it was supposed to be for women ONLY. Of course, you probably looked like a girl so they let you in. Talk about sad! Bye Hosefina!

Bye Bye--General Lee
Holy F+ck General you are showing your true colors!!! You were a Chippy and now a super pilot??? 14000 post on FI and you claim to be a superhuman pilot sucking RA c'ck. You really are better than any of us. God I wished I lived in ATL with Richy Rich. Does he look like a girl???? What I don't get is why you get internet access in prison, we pay for you to eat and you rip on us!!!

AVERAGED is the key word in your statement. When it comes to potential newhires, which SWA won't be having for awhile apparently, those guys will fly the worst trips out there via seniority. With the lack of movement at SWA, that means future SWA pilots and current low seniority pilots will be stuck with the trips that have more than 4 legs per day, which can tire you out (I used to do them during my commuter days at MDW, I know). Since this thread is about SWA hiring or potential hiring, it might be good for potential new hires to know about this. Just like new hires at INTL airlines may go to Lagos (not likely anymore--mainly hiring into the small bus and MD90 supposedly), potential new hires at SWA will be inundated with ELP and LBB. I don't know which is worse...??? Have a FANTASTIC day.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You were obviously pretty stressed by your time at ML Connection. Five legs is tough when you don't even know how to use the radio.

3-4 leg average is pretty accurate system wide over here. Low Seniority is closer to 4 and/or weekends. Senior guys are closer to 3 legs/day with 4-day weekends. Life is really tough.

We may not hire for a whlie, but we never furloughed either.

Latest resources

Back