• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA hiring and international growth. From Gary

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are all your furloughed pilots going to get back on line before the merger?

So Alaska's 737s aren't working out for Hawaii?

I know you work at SWA and thus are living in a bubble where every bit of news involves SW and SW only info but our merger closed on Friday therefore the class dates our furloughed pilots are receiving this week for classes in the Fall and Spring are not going to get them online prior to last Friday.

As far as Alaska's 737 routes to Hawaii are concerned, I'm sure they are working out well. They offer a 2 class product with quality food service on their routes to Hawaii as well as their domestic and Mexico routes. I'm sure they are doing quite well. I'm not on here touting my airline's world domination nor am I spouting off about our merger with United. You won't read any posts from United or Continental pilots telling each other just how lucky each other are to be a part of the new "United". What you read are concerns over the joint contract both sides are working hard to hammer out over the next year. A contract that will be built on by American and Delta over the next few years. A contract that will help build back this profession to what it should be. I have nothing against the pilots of SWA. I think SWA is a great airline. I've used SWA many times as a paying passenger as well as a jumpseater in the past. As a former AirTran pilot I do take issue with the attitudes I've seen on FI over the past week. I've seen the SWA arrogance but this past week it has been taken to another level. I'm glad SWA pays well. I'm glad there is a "culture" that your pilots enjoy over there. I do feel that come of this "culture" loses some credibility when it is thrown around on FI in the fashion it has over the past week in regards to the AirTran merger.

Lear,

I know about the kid thing and social life thing. I cant wait to get off reserve. The good thing about our reserve we don't have to sit airport stby. Brother I will say this is going to be huge for all. I do see something brewing on the horizon bigger than the 737-8. The talk is that GK is going to expand to Hawaii and South America. We bring the west and yall bring the east. Let's get er done!

That's what I'm talkin' about! :beer:

/rant on

After reading through this thread, I want my mouse click(s) back. I feel totally ripped off! Lots of emotion. Waaayyyyy to much conjecture. Nothing but polarization. Forums tend to cater to the vocal 5% with agendas who spew vitriolic diatribe often ungrounded in fact. Unfortunately that's the way our society has gone over the last 20 years, and it is most evident in politics. If I don't get my

In the end, one list and one company will be the result. As in life, whether you/we/I are happy with it is up to us.

Thanks for your time.

/rant off

thanks for wasting 10 minits of my life.

I know you work at SWA and thus are living in a bubble where every bit of news involves SW and SW only info but our merger closed on Friday therefore the class dates our furloughed pilots are receiving this week for classes in the Fall and Spring are not going to get them online prior to last Friday.

As far as Alaska's 737 routes to Hawaii are concerned, I'm sure they are working out well. They offer a 2 class product with quality food service on their routes to Hawaii as well as their domestic and Mexico routes. I'm sure they are doing quite well. I'm not on here touting my airline's world domination nor am I spouting off about our merger with United. You won't read any posts from United or Continental pilots telling each other just how lucky each other are to be a part of the new "United". What you read are concerns over the joint contract both sides are working hard to hammer out over the next year. A contract that will be built on by American and Delta over the next few years. A contract that will help build back this profession to what it should be. I have nothing against the pilots of SWA. I think SWA is a great airline. I've used SWA many times as a paying passenger as well as a jumpseater in the past. As a former AirTran pilot I do take issue with the attitudes I've seen on FI over the past week. I've seen the SWA arrogance but this past week it has been taken to another level. I'm glad SWA pays well. I'm glad there is a "culture" that your pilots enjoy over there. I do feel that come of this "culture" loses some credibility when it is thrown around on FI in the fashion it has over the past week in regards to the AirTran merger.

Total # SWA pilots: 5878

Total # (alleged) SWA pilots posting on FI w/"attitude": ~10

I'm just sayin....

Is that what the "talk" is? I'm assuming you guys are getting 787's or something for this type of flying as well huh? I mean, if Gary wants to conquer South America and Hawaii and all, "get en er done" will require more than 737's of any size...Big things brewing.....haha

Attention, Attention all pilots flying for Delta, American, United, Alaska, U.S. Airways: Please update your resumes as soon as possible. "Gary" is taking over the airline industry with his fleet of Mach .74 cruising 737's capable of 40 knot taxi speeds......We are all doomed.....Big things are on the horizon and if you are not on board with "Gary" you better get out of the way!

Lots of arrogant people (like you) had similar sentiments when Herb showed up.

So please, continue to belittle and ignore SWA. We'll check back in 20 years to see how that arrogance has served you.

Note: I'm not saying that some supposed or actual SWA guys on here haven't been arrogant either. SWA does tend to take the brunt of it. Bottom line, arrogance hasn't historically served anyone in this industry well eh?

Last edited:

So please, continue to belittle and ignore SWA. We'll check back in 20 years to see how that arrogance has served you.

I'll be here. With 10 years to go till retirement. Look forward to checking back with you. You only read one post of mine regarding this arrogance the SWA pilots are showing. A quick search of my posts will clear up any questions you might have about my arrogance.

Note: I'm not saying that some supposed or actual SWA guys on here haven't been arrogant either. SWA does tend to take the brunt of it. Bottom line, arrogance hasn't historically served anyone in this industry well eh?

Let me take this a step further. You are saying that to question any SWA poster's claim that SWA will dominate Hawaii and South America is being arrogant? And further to throw in a statement like "lots of arrogant people like you had similar sentiments when Herb showed up" isn't being arrogant in itself? Seriously. I responded to a poster from SWA that claimed that "big things" were in the works and that "Gary" wants to go international and to Hawaii etc. and that the AirTran guys will "take the East" and we(SWA) will "take the West" and I'm the arrogant one to question how that is going to be done? You guys seriously need a reality check.....

Let me take this a step further. You are saying that to question any SWA poster's claim that SWA will dominate Hawaii and South America is being arrogant? And further to throw in a statement like "lots of arrogant people like you had similar sentiments when Herb showed up" isn't being arrogant in itself? Seriously. I responded to a poster from SWA that claimed that "big things" were in the works and that "Gary" wants to go international and to Hawaii etc. and that the AirTran guys will "take the East" and we(SWA) will "take the West" and I'm the arrogant one to question how that is going to be done? You guys seriously need a reality check.....

So you're saying that people didn't act arrogant in the industry when Herb showed up? You're saying that that statement is arrogant? It's well-documented history.

As I said, arrogance in general doesn't serve anybody well. The reality check goes both directions.

Latest resources

Back