Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

swaforme

Right from the news line.

Along with the AirTran news last week, we announced our plans to hire additional Flight Crews for the first time since 2008. As I mentioned, a successful acquisition would bring more planes and more flights, and therefore we would need additional Pilots and Flight Attendants to support the growth. We are tentatively planning to add 150-200 new Pilots and 250-300 new Flight Attendants next year. Since we haven’t hired Flight Crews since 2008, our hiring Teams will soon begin an aggressive schedule to interview and process qualified candidates. We expect to have 100 Pilots begin New Hire training in first quarter 2011, and start rolling into our system in March. Additional Pilot classes will follow as required. Flight Attendant classes also will begin in first quarter 2011, and will include three classes of approximately 100 each. They will start rolling into our system in April. I know many of you have been eagerly anticipating growth for our Company, and I’m looking forward to adding to our Family.
At last week’s press conference, I also shared an update on our plans to change our reservation system. A new reservations system will allow us to fully realize our intent to sell international itineraries and to fly our metal to international destinations. I am very excited about the possibilities this change could bring to our Company. While we are still at least a couple years away from flying our own international routes, we have narrowed our search to two vendors, and will proceed with our diligence process to select the best vendor. Until we make a final selection, I don’t have a lot of additional information or a timeline, but we will keep you updated and informed throughout the process.

And ya'll were worried about no growth...

We're all going to be JUST fine. :) Congrats to all the poolies who get to dry off and all the candidates who get calls for the interview!

I'm still worried about no growth.

If the deal goes through, SWA will have over 700 aircraft making it the largest in history by that measure. Gigantic airlines don't have a tendency to grow very much.

The recent hiring at SWA is a minor adjustment to cover next summer's schedule. The airline has been tightening its belt for the last 2.5 years to rightsize for the acquisition.

Some times people forget as a pilot group gathers more seniority so do the weeks of vacation. 500 plus pilots now get to bid an extra week of vacation next year. it may not seem like much, but it is something.

I'm still worried about no growth.

If the deal goes through, SWA will have over 700 aircraft making it the largest in history by that measure. Gigantic airlines don't have a tendency to grow very much.

The recent hiring at SWA is a minor adjustment to cover next summer's schedule. The airline has been tightening its belt for the last 2.5 years to rightsize for the acquisition.

Actually, the hiring for next year is partly because you will be getting all our airplanes instead of us.

We were taking delivery of 6 hulls next year (firm delivery slots, not options); we were hiring 175 this year to cover those deliveries and international expansion schedules. Our hiring has been stopped and you are hiring instead, as those airplanes will be painted Southwest colors and come to you instead of coming to us while we wait on the SLI and final integration.

In other words, about 40 AirTran F/O's won't upgrade early next year because of this.

Just FYI.

yeah, but what does airtran bring to the merger?
LOL - the irony is killing me... ;)

Some times people forget as a pilot group gathers more seniority so do the weeks of vacation. 500 plus pilots now get to bid an extra week of vacation next year. it may not seem like much, but it is something.
Maybe we'll get to bid it for 2013. :D

Actually, the hiring for next year is partly because you will be getting all our airplanes instead of us.FYI.

FYI. Its because we already added flying into the spring and that wouldnt be covered with the current number of pilots. This summer was JA heaven. Not the most for years past, but alot of it. Thats what the 150-200 are for.

Latest resources

Back