• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB today..Let us know if you get it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't worry, he does not realize some of us went into the military after flying civilian for years, now we get the best of both worlds....He was probably a washout anyway. His name shoudl be ILEQUIP.....if you know what I mean

Last edited:
Lequip said:
Glad to hear SWA is hiring the most qualified pilots. Nothing like some snot nosed low timer who thinks he is owed the world just because he is military. Maybe you should go build some more time before you want to try and roll with us Big Boys.

He's got more class than you could comprehend, Stay out of the thread. I seriously doubt you are the Captain of anything but your bathroom's toilet seat. Go get a life Ilequip. "Big Boy"

Ill E Quip. Fits well. Have to defend myself. I can't think of one fellow pilot I knew in the service who ever felt he was owed anything. I spent 10 years active and 10 in the reserves and I feel it was a privilege to serve this country. Your comments on low time is meaningless. H.R. Deptartments have conversion factors based on equipment. My company hired a class of 10 that month. Interviewed 100 out of a pool of 6000+ highly qualifed canidates. Over 3500 were military backround. They were mostly a part of a 7 year group that left the service. They came from a pool of over 100,000 applicants for one of 12,000 UPT slots during that 7 year group. Of the 9,000 grads 40% left and those 3600 were in the pool. As for the the environment then, 9 out of 10 in my class were military. 7 of us were fighter backround, 29-31 with 1500 hours that converted to over 6500 hours in their eyes.On top of that is over 200 hours in simulators doing emergeny procedures. Add backround checks for security clearances, constant physicals, operating in a demanding enviornment, good references, all give the airlines a predictable canadate with a good chance to succeed. So there is alot more to a canadate than TIME. I have the most respect for my friends and all of you that came up through the civilian ranks. As you guys find out at every interview there are many people in suits dressed well and qualified. With FedEx, UPS and SWA currently moving, others will follow in this up and down industry.Keep knocking. Things will work out.

1stCivDiv said:
Judging by your previous posts, your Personal Dept. let a turd slip in when they hired you and I'm sure your co-workers feel the same way. Seriously, get a life bro...It's easy hiding behind your computer and throw out childish and ridiculas comments and adding absolutely nothing to the thread.

Ok Mr. 2400 hour wonderboy. I'll add something to constructive to this tread. Certain SWA "Goons" get kickbacks from 2 of the 3 main outfits that do most of the 737 Type training. The more people that get 737 types, the more "some" people get as a kickback. A handful of "High up's" are laughing all the way to the bank as thousands and thousands buy 737 types each year and only a few hundred get hired. Wake up and smell the coffee on all this usless interviewing people. Sorry you can't afford regional pay but you have 7K to waste on a useless type. SWA thanks you for paying to play Sukah.

Last edited:
Wow, these odds really stink. I am certain that many of you are fine individuals. Do not give up hope - try for some of the other airlines.

As for the 737 type rating. It can be a blessing if you are applying with SWA or a curse. (every airline knows your number one choice and thinks you will leave in a year to go with SWA if they call you.) I personally do not suggest my clients get the 737 type rating. I think it is a crap shoot, and like playing the lottery with all the other "players," your odds of being hired are not that great.

On another note, for those that already have the 737 type rating, apply with Continental. From what I heard from one of my recent clients who was hired by them, they type everyone right away. It might work in your favor.

Be prepared though, with ANY airline you apply to and potentially interview with, to answer the question of "why" you have a 737 type rating.

As for the comment made about the PD sitting around with "nothing to do" if the pool gets too large, I disagree with that assessment. I guarantee you that they could be shifted to hiring any other front line position in the company, as SWA's process and questions are copyrighted and used in every front line position interview. The highest turnover at SWA (or most airlines) is the Customer Service Agent position - especially on the east coast.

Kathy

Spudbud said:
Unfortunately, the pool can only get so deep. SWA sets a limit on the number of people it wants to spend the money on for the advanced background checks and pee tests that occur after the decision board. Even if 100 Steve Canyons showed up for the interview, only 30-40% (my guess based on the numbers tossed around here) would get the call to continue. Letting the pool get too large would lead to folks moving on with their life and rejecting the job offer when the phone finally did ring for a class date. Too large of a pool would eventually lead to interviews halting all together, then the company would have PD employees showing up for work for nothing to do. It is a brutally competitive, high stakes process that has become totally intense due to the dire state of the industry and the high number of qualified applicants. SWA has thrived because it has done the best to control its costs. Decisions based on dollars and cents are a grim reality in this business, my deepest condolences go out to those highly qualified folks that are victims of the economics of the situation.

I respectfully dissagree - I don't think we'd do it that way. I think if we found enough candidates with whatever it is we're looking for we'd save the money and stop interviewing. Just my opinion.

jetalc said:
Huh? How do you know this?

Well, I have a friend that used to work in the People Department. This person started doing interview coaching with the copyrighted SWA interview process and questions and proceeded to receive a "cease and desist" order from SWA legal or be fined $100k for each incident.

I also went through the interview process and was hired by SWA. Worked there for about 7 months before I had the baby. Same type of questions asked in the CSA process as what gets asked in the pilot interview process.

Latest resources

Back