• Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA-16
DL-9
UA-10
NW-9
US-18
UPS-7
FDX-6

But considering SWA is the only one hiring since 911 in any consistent manner and is a growth carrier, 10-15 years is far different than the above list.

Every left seat at SWA is currently being flown by a captain who had less than four years at the company prior to upgrading.

To bad all those quick upgrades don't care about the next generation. They got theirs and everyone else is to bad so sad.

Thats interesting since evry capt. i have flown with has had at least 6 years. Besides what i will make as an FO is probably more than you make as a capt. so I really dont think you should be one to talk.

Better watch what you make fun of. Close sources state we are looking at a first quarter loss in 08'.

If things don't change now the sky will be falling.

dh2wn,

i'm not making fun of anyone. it just makes me laugh when misinformed people who work elsewhere tell us what is going on in our company and our union. i know things are not great right now, and they are getting worse with these new jumpseater boarding policies. it is still a great part-time gig, though. tschues!

I have always found it humorous when pilots base their entire carreer on something that will happen years down the line. In this industry unless you are guaranteed a left seat in 6 months or less then it really is a waste of time to predict when you will upgrade. You think the guys at AA ever thought it would take 15 years to upgrade??? NOT...This is a marathon not a race...and i think it is foolish to think otherwise. We all want to be captains, but I would not take a crap job just for the left seat unless I was jumping ship. Point is...who cares!!! A senior F/O at SWA is having the QOL that others would die for. The money is great, the QOL is great and your turn will come...so what on Earth is the big deal if upgrade at SWA is next year or in 10...it is out of my control and I really enjoy working here. I think a lot of people loose sight of the big picture just to be in charge...Enjoy the journey not the detination cause you might never ever get there. There is more to this profession than the COVETED left seat. I would take the right seat at SWA over the left seat of 99% of the other airlines.

Every left seat at SWA is currently being flown by a captain who had less than four years at the company prior to upgrading.

I know for a fact that statement is wrong. I've been at SWA for 13 years and it took me just under 6 years to hold a Captain seat, and I was in a junior domicile. I haven't seen anybody upgrade in 4 years or less since Morris was acquired.

dh2wn,

i'm not making fun of anyone. it just makes me laugh when misinformed people who work elsewhere tell us what is going on in our company and our union. i know things are not great right now, and they are getting worse with these new jumpseater boarding policies. it is still a great part-time gig, though. tschues!

I thought you were talking about our finances. Yes, the JS things sucks. Maybe it'll change. I don't see anything wrong with boarding after A since they are the ones we are targeting now for increased revenue. I understand that is a possible compromise the company is willing to look at since our SWAPA letter was sent.

However, 1st quarter 08' is not a secret. You can ask any chief pilot. With our new changes, which aren't expected to take hold for some time, and oil being in the 90s we are looking at a 1st quarter loss in 08'. That is why GK put out a call to arms with regards to saving gas.

Best we can to is show up to work and fly the profiles to a "T", shut down #2 when possible, and do the other things we already do with regards to customer service.

Check out Torti's video on SWAlife. It's pretty interesting. His jab at Dallas Captains is quite humorous yet true.

Last edited:
It's pretty interesting. His jab at Dallas Captains is quite humorous yet true.

You don't have enough seniority to even pick up a trip in Dallas, how do you know if it is true?

I think we will hire somewhere between 349 and 351.

I made the mistake once in my career going to an airline based on and promised a quick upgrade. That decision cost me 4+ years in the right seat making crap while few were hiring. Southwest was an easy decision. I can live in Dallas, make good money in the right seat, go to great parties, make my own financial decisions regarding my retirement, and be treated a lot better here than at another carrier. Upgrade had NOTHING to do with my decision! Choosing an airline based on anything but past practice is foolish. There are several good options out there, but SWA was the best one for me and my family. FWIW, I am not made to feel like an FO usually and most of the dudes I fly alongside are cool, even the old ones.

However, 1st quarter 08' is not a secret. You can ask any chief pilot. With our new changes, which aren't expected to take hold for some time, and oil being in the 90s we are looking at a 1st quarter loss in 08'. That is why GK put out a call to arms with regards to saving gas.

Unless SWA has provided guidance I would imagine that such info would be viewed as insider trading/info.

I haven't heard any of what you say from any CP.

Latest resources

Back