• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Continues Hiring; 350 Pilots in 2008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well he has a current job so I'm sure his cable is safe for a bit longer...

I guess if you happen to know more than the people department and are saying they are lying to him then please pass along any more information you may have so I can pass it along as well.

SLC
:cool:

It's really quite simple, and I think it can be applied anywhere. If you don't have a date of employment, seniority number, paycheck, etc., than you are not hired. I'm not sure what is so cosmic about this concept.

But hey, if your "friend" wants to tell chicks at the bar he's a SWA pilot, I'm sure they won't ask to see his company ID.

Last edited:
10 years to upgrade is pathetic

its not 10 years, yet. Where you work'in thesedays? With age 65, it will take 20 years to Capt. at AA.

What's the current upgrade at AA,UA,DL,NW,US,UPS and FDX?

I'll give you CO, JBU, and Airtran.

AA-16
DL-9
UA-10
NW-9
US-18
UPS-7
FDX-6

But considering SWA is the only one hiring since 911 in any consistent manner and is a growth carrier, 10-15 years is far different than the above list.

Every left seat at SWA is currently being flown by a captain who had less than four years at the company prior to upgrading.

To bad all those quick upgrades don't care about the next generation. They got theirs and everyone else is to bad so sad.

Last edited:
AA-18
UA-9
NW-10
US-25+
UPS-8
FDX-4

But considering SWA is the only one hiring since 911 in any consistent manner and is a growth carrier, 10-15 years is far different than the above list.

Every left seat at SWA is currently being flown by a captain who had less than four years at the company prior to upgrading.

To bad all those quick upgrades don't care about the next generation. They got theirs and everyone else is to bad so sad.

cough, cough, cough, cough, bull$hit!!!! I've flown with plenty of left seat occupiers who did NOT upgrade in less than four years. Recent upgrades (past two years or so, seem to be more in the 6.5 range). However, I'm sure you think you have all the answers. You sir, are a dumb....a$$.:nuts:

I am not the dumb a$$ sitting at SWA watching my upgrade get flushed by SWAPA out of control with age 65. Dumba$$

Last edited:
If age 65 passes, every swinging Richard here above 60 will stay....bank on it....draw out of my 401K or fly one or two trips a month and get 5 weeks vacation and medical? Easy one. Age 65 won't pass this year or next most likely, but it will probably pass before the newhires here upgrade. 6% is the current growth rate that they are currently looking at revising downward. Our side letter says we must grow at 6+%....only problem is that it doesn't say "or what". With $100 a barrel oil, we may stop growth altogether...10 years for a newhire to upgrade is not outer limits. New CA's now are over 6 years to upgrade (about 6.5). As for next year, we only net 19 aircraft for about 200 newhires plus 100-150 retirements leaving only 350 next year tops...and that is before we factor in the recession. The training dept likes giving out good news...unfortunately it aint always accurate. You folks out there making career decisions should consider that. Good luck to all...just keepin it real here...not saying this place aint great....it still is, BUT it aint what it once was and the bean counters are in control right now. Would I go to an ALPA carrier and risk an extremely unfavorable date of hire seniority list merger right now or roll the dice at a new carrier? No way....but keep it real fellas!

Last edited:
...10 years to upgrade is pathetic. And 15 with age 65 will be even more pathetic.

It is currently 6-7yrs from what I see in my squadron, if you choose upgrade soonest. Age 65 would not be 1-for-1 trade, because not everyone will stay to 65, or stay alive to 65.

Latest resources

Back