SWA Continues Hiring; 350 Pilots in 2008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by DH2WN
However, 1st quarter 08' is not a secret. You can ask any chief pilot. With our new changes, which aren't expected to take hold for some time, and oil being in the 90s we are looking at a 1st quarter loss in 08'. That is why GK put out a call to arms with regards to saving gas.

I would luv to know where this info comes from. Have you looked at the results from this year so far? Looks like we are a ways away from posting a loss. I'm not naive enough to say that we will not someday be faced with a losing quarter, but I don't see how it will be in early '08. Unless there are drastic events that take place between now and then. With our hedge positions, we are still in pretty good shape this year and next year. Our net cost for fuel is waaaay below everyone else in the business. I think that our management has done an excellent job positioning the company to be in the best possible position in the event of a recession, etc. I'm not saying we don't have challenges, we do. But loads are good, we have a great relative fuel position, and we have loads of cash in the bank. Times aint great, but they aint bad either.

But revenue isn't...
Really? Are we not on track to have the best NET income year on record? Maybe I missed something. I hope you are not falling for all that "economic income" talk coming out of the GO. Wouldn't it be convenient for the company if most of the pilots believe we are not making money while we are putting massive amounts of cash in the bank? I don't want to get into an argument here, but I keep hearing guys say things like we wouldn't have made money without the hedges, etc. First of all without a proper risk management program in place, many companies would not make money. It is simply good business. Without this in place, we would be running the airline differently and we may or may not have been as successful. There is no way to know this. I believe that our business model is built around our current and projected costs. We know what our fuel costs are and what they will be in the next few years. This is what we base our plans on. These costs are somewhat insulated from the ups and downs in the oil market because of our excellent risk management program. It's true that over time our cost of fuel will rise, but not nearly as much as our competition. The real risk that increasing energy cost has to us is the publics ability to afford to go to Disneyland. At some point the economy will not be able to withstand the high energy costs and will contract. I believe this is why our management team has chosen to slow our growth and will do so again if necessary. It doesn't mean we are not doing well, just that they are doing a good job looking ahead and preparing for a possible downturn in the economic situation. Very safe and in my opinion, very smart. This is a marathon and not a sprint. I feel very confident in this management teams ability to get us through the coming tough times.
For me, there is no better place to be. My experience has been nothing but positive. Like someone else said, sitting in the right seat here is not that bad of a deal.

Last edited:
Really? Are we not on track to have the best NET income year on record? Maybe I missed something. I hope you are not falling for all that "economic income" talk coming out of the GO. Wouldn't it be convenient for the company if most of the pilots believe we are not making money while we are putting massive amounts of cash in the bank? I don't want to get into an argument here, but I keep hearing guys say things like we wouldn't have made money without the hedges, etc. First of all without a proper risk management program in place, many companies would not make money. It is simply good business. Without this in place, we would be running the airline differently and we may or may not have been as successful. There is no way to know this. I believe that our business model is built around our current and projected costs. We know what our fuel costs are and what they will be in the next few years. This is what we base our plans on. These costs are somewhat insulated from the ups and downs in the oil market because of our excellent risk management program. It's true that over time our cost of fuel will rise, but not nearly as much as our competition. The real risk that increasing energy cost has to us is the publics ability to afford to go to Disneyland. At some point the economy will not be able to withstand the high energy costs and will contract. I believe this is why our management team has chosen to slow our growth and will do so again if necessary. It doesn't mean we are not doing well, just that they are doing a good job looking ahead and preparing for a possible downturn in the economic situation. Very safe and in my opinion, very smart. This is a marathon and not a sprint. I feel very confident in this management teams ability to get us through the coming tough times.
For me, there is no better place to be. My experience has been nothing but positive. Like someone else said, sitting in the right seat here is not that bad of a deal.

Come April 08, you can call me out on the first quarter. See you then.

Again I will ask you this question.

Where are you getting your info? Unless the company has provided guidance for 1st QTR 2008 that states such, the statement that SWA is going to lose money would be illegal information.

I have a hard time believing what you state because of this.

This is pretty interesting, It sounds like everyone who either has a job with Southwest or was hired by Southwest, is positive about the future of the company. Why are people being so negative? I do not know one person who flies for Southwest that is unhappy, it seems that is the place everyone wants to work.

This is pretty interesting, It sounds like everyone who either has a job with Southwest or was hired by Southwest, is positive about the future of the company. Why are people being so negative? I do not know one person who flies for Southwest that is unhappy, it seems that is the place everyone wants to work.

that sounds like a fairly naive generalization to me.

Tell you what, if you are right I'll buy you a case of whatever beer you drink. What say you?

It still is, but we are all wondering for how much longer...the beancounters are making on all out assault on our culture here...one blow after another...gotta wonder how much longer until we become like everyone else.

It still is, but we are all wondering for how much longer...the beancounters are making on all out assault on our culture here...one blow after another...gotta wonder how much longer until we become like everyone else.

I don't know what assault you are talking about but I'd say the 99%, that don't log onto PPrune or write to the SWAPA paper all the time, are pretty happy. Yes, the JS thing sucks but I have a feeling it's going to get worked out so our 'A' customers still get prime choice of seating and we can still commute to work without too much hassle.

Latest resources

Back