Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gracias Amigo

Hey Tred,

Thanks for the advice. Hope I get to use swaprep in the near future. I, too, need practice. When I am in front of a crowd in a vunerable position, I feel like Chris Farley from Tommy Boy when he is trying to sell car brakes.

If anyone is interested, I completed a paper for my masters on LUV hiring versus the big 3. I think it has a lot of good insight from a different perspective. May help, may not. Anyway, if anybody would like a copy, just PM me.

Take care and fly safe,

SR

Lear guy,

It was definitely the secret handshake. If you don't know it yet, I guess you're SOL.

Seriously, the thing I remember most about the SWA interview was how conscientious and "professional" it was....not in the way you'd normally think of the word "professional," but in the way that gave you (me) the absolute best possible chance of being successful. In short, the interviewers were very concerned about following their own rules for the interview, asking questions only from their prepared material so everyone got an equal opportunity for success, and asking careful follow-up questions to clarify everything. I was very, very impressed with the way they approached the interview. I truly believe they were out to give me the best chance of succeding. Contrast that to another interview I attended (what was I thinking!) where the first thing the interviewer said to me was (as he slapped his folder on the desk), "well, there's the list of questions I'm not going to ask you." Huh? As you can see, that leaves a tremendous amount of room for all sorts of bad things. What if you just had a little personality conflict with the interviewer? What if he or she just asked a few "pet" questions, and what if he or she didn't like the answers you gave? How could that interviewer respond in good faith to his or her company about your fitness for hire? Not at Southwest. They were very interested in finding out who I was, and they put a great deal of faith in the professional procedure they had created to answer that question. I couldn't have been much more comfortable with the time I spent at the People department.

That said, I do agree with the Tredmeister about preparation. At the very minimum, you should write a notebook about your career to this point. Things you had to overcome, challenging your boss, personal relations on the flight deck, proper use of diplomacy, emergencies, all that good stuff. I did that, and reviewed it often before going in. I did not prepare with a Southwest expert, but I did conduct two practice interviews with one of the career placement professionals at Randolph Air Force Base (thanks Fae : - ). That was invaluable simply because it gave me an opportunity to practice sitting in my suit in front of an interviewer and translating the notebook into something intelligible for the interviewer. Great experience....recommend it highly.

Hey I gotta go! Best of luck to you....PM if you want any more info.

Cheers!
HP

Last edited:
I agree with HPaul3

Besides my parents who raised me with manners and Southern Hospitality, Fae at Randolph was a big reason I passed my interview.! I purposely went into the first interview prep cold turkey to get a good baseline to start with. She went over everything from suit and tie to family and faith. Of course the first one was not a "polished" interview and it showed. It's very difficult to watch yourself on tape but it showed how much I was always moving in the chair (thanks Leo Mazzone!) After another session or two I was confident on self presentation. The hardest think I thought was to remember the stories about flying. Granted in the military I love flying but the countries customs and people are what I truly took to heart around the world. So it took at least ten brainstorming sessions to come up with flying experiences that were worthy of a good positive story...but that's just me - I'm very laid back and if the wings weren't falling off the plane, it was no big deal! So all the precious time as well as $$$ you spend in preparation is as the add says...priceless!

Hope that helps,
Les

My .02

The best advice I can give you is

1) Be yourself

2) Relax or at least try real hard to

3) Be honest and sincere

4) Make an appointment with Rob Beeks before you interview.

Let me expand on the last point. Rob didn't give me a secret handshake or canned answers to interview questions, but what he did do was help me understand how to answer questions in a way that relayed to the interviewer that I was a safe, professional pilot that would fit in well at SWA and that is exactly what they are looking for. I give a lot of credit to Rob for getting hired and he isn't paying me to say that, but I'd sure accept any donations!:D

Let me pile on too

Ditto all,
I used Rob Beeks and it saved my life. His stated goal was to convince me that all I had to do was be myself. He was successful and so was I.

My advice is standard, trite, tried and true: pay attention to your appearance, review your stories, be truthful (especially with things you write!), get interview prep, and pray (a lot).

Best of luck to all hopefuls, especially the ones on the street ...

I didn't get mine yet!!!

I haven't gotten any kind of an update yet. Little nervous...
How long ago did ya'll get your's????:eek:

I got the update letter a few days ago and don't have the type. But what about the requirement to have a type before interviewing? Is this for people who have not applied yet? or are they going to send me another letter that I have to get typed prior to them scheduling an interview for me? Or perhaps I'm recalling this requirement totally out of context:rolleyes:

Chances with SWA?

I am a USMC jet instructor(former AV-8B pilot) here in Kingsville, Tx. I am an Embry-Riddle grad (Aeronautical Science B.S.) and a graduate of the Aviation Safety Officer's Course, Naval Post-Graduate School. I will have my 1500 hrs turbine/1000 hrs turbine PIC by late summer as well as around 365hrs civilian time for around 1900 TT. I intend to get my ATP/737 type also by this summer. Currently hold Commercial, MEI ratings. What are my chances of getting on with Southwest in your opinion?? Also, if I put my app in by early fall 03, when could I expect an interview and class begin? I appreciate any feedback.

rocket bob-

there is a requirement as of november that you have to have the type to apply. If you already applied without the type then the requirements have not changed for you. you still just have to have the type before you can be hired. you can still be called for an interview without it. (assuming you applied before the req. changed in november.)

Latest resources

Back