Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chazman

Military
Got an application update letter from SWA today. Anyone else get one?

They included a fairly generic Pilot Supplimental Update form to return.

Hoping the pool drains quickly so they will want to fill back up.

Chaz

Two guys in my squadron got their update forms today.

Hopefully, SWA is sending these gems out in alphabetical order, so maybe I'll get one tomorrow or Sat.

Movement in the pool...updates for our apps. You gotta LUV it.

Yahtz

Updates and Class I medical

I talked with LL on Tuesday and she said they were sending out a bunch of update letters.

In case any other SWA wannabes like myself didn't know this, you don't have to keep your Class I medical current. It only has to be current when you submit your application and again on the first day you show up for class. That will save us some $$ while we wait for the pool to go dry.

That's good news since mine's fallen to the bottom of the pool and got stuck in the drain! Flight Surgeon still says I can fly so that's ok. Haven't gotten update in the mail but should be soon - takes a while to get to the "W" I guess - at least I'm ahead of Yahtzee! (barely)

by the way - HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!

Thinking about taking 3 month orders until class date (hopefully around early summer) - but got whiff about possible Air Force stop loss that might affect our pool once again! Any official word from the Air Force guys in the pool?

Good luck Yahtz!

Les

SWA Class Date vs 2 months of the Guard?

DAWG: If it were me I'd get out and clear while I could. Who knows how many folks will have dropped out of the pool or gotten stop-lossed? I'd take the 2 -3 months off and enjoy some peace and quiet before the storm of the training program. Plus, you never know when SWA will call with an earlier class and you KNOW there's no way you want to miss an opportunity like that. Just my opinion, best of luck with your decision.

UGApilotDAWG said:
by the way - HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!

DAWG,

That's was for Pegasus. ;) I'm inviting him down for a game next year. He's never tailgated with the DAWGS, so I figured he's got to experience Athens on a fall Saturday.

By the way, I'm used to sitting in the back of the class, being last in line in the lunchroom, and hearing "Sorry, we're out of milk, and all we have left is the soy cheese casserole and fried cabbage" :eek:

As long as I get one of those little update forms a few days after you, I'll feel good. Had a great time in New Orleans, and hanging out with ya'll.

Yahtz

I got an update letter too. I don't think they were sent out in alphabetical order though. I am pretty far down the alphabet and my letter was post marked well over a week ago. (I don't check the mail often, afraid of the bills)

Sounds Good though.

what on earth are you talking about?

"how bout them dawgs"????

Gor blimey guvnor; stone the bleedin crows; I don't ave a flippin corkscrew about what you chaps are witterin' on about.

But if "tailgatin" involves a choice brew or two....count me in:)

Impact of Stop Loss on Pool Drain

I've heard from reliable sources the Marines have implemented Stop Loss. While I haven't heard if the AF, Army or Navy have implemented the program the implications make for some speculation. My thoughts only,

1. Folks currently in the pool who are affected will obviously be unable to fill the class slots. This will expedite the process for those civilians or retired/separated military pilots who are waiting. Those affected will be in the future classes once released but that could be for sometime with an extended callup.

2. Recall orders due to an impending war. There are 4 folks who are in training who are in reserve units who may face this dilemma. They hope to make it through training but once they have their SWA IDs, they're in SWA & will have to go through retraining if recalled but they're forever SWA pilots, that's the good news. If recalled they will be delayed in getting a SWA paycheck, which is a bummer.

3. Current SWA pilots recalled to active duty or called up temporarily with ANG/AFRES units will have an impact on our manning levels. Unofficial numbers were that SWA lost about 40 pilots at the height of the last callouts after 911. Don't know what the numbers were with DS, wasn't here. I would suspect the numbers might be higher for a similar type of callup versus the 911 callup because the callup would be more inclusive & for longer terms. This will weigh into the company decision to continue new hire classes IMHO. I would say this would weigh in favor of keeping new hire classes going since we wouldn't expect to cut back our flying like other airlines have predicted.

Future interview impacts. Speculation only but with the available pool much smaller (I don't have any idea how many military folks currently make up the SWA pool, sorry) due to ineligible military guys (if there is a stop loss or call up) the "new" adjusted pool will drain much quicker. Will it drain quickly enough to start interviewing sooner than 4Q'03, who knows. Just some points to ponder. My prayers & best wishes to those who are currently serving either in civilian or military capacity in support of the current war effort & future ones. God's speed.

Latest resources

Back