• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a union topic that should be posted under the union section of FI. Please us ALL of Flight Info for your aviation needs.. so all members can locate information they are looking for, now and in the future searches..

mod clr4
Really? Think about about this please and kindly return the discussion between two major carriers to the majors board. Put this under union activity is not reasonable, while the discussion is about what the unions are doing, the root of the story is that it is about what is happening between two majors.

Your attempt to shuffle these topics only confuses.

If this was a generic topic of unions as in "how do two majors unite", then sure, place it under union. But this is specifically about two majors, hence, majors board.

If you don't return this to majors then your rationale would be that any topic in the majors board gets shuffled to some other forum, example, how would you or your major company deal with dispatchers who fail to do their job? Would you then move this from majors to dispatcher? I say no, but your rationale says yes.

Future searches? When I go looking in the future for AT/SWA info, I'll search majors, not union.

Last edited:
This is a union topic that should be posted under the union section of FI. PLease us ALL of Flight Info for your aviation needs.. so all members can locate information they are looking for, now and in the future searches..

mod clr4

Really? Wow.

All I can say is WOW. Can you not leave well enough alone?

Watch out he might BAN you for a month like he did me - with no trial

This is a union topic that should be posted under the union section of FI. PLease us ALL of Flight Info for your aviation needs.. so all members can locate information they are looking for, now and in the future searches..

mod clr4

This is borderline incoherent.

Last edited:
Lear,

Both your short and long answers are incomplete.
No, they're not.

The short answer is readily apparent right out of the text of the Process Agreement which I quoted in the long answer below it. I don't know what SWAPA is telling you, but I have the long document open here, and the idea that people are referring to that the airlines actually have to be operationally merged in order for an arbitrated SLI to be enacted is just plain false (Par 5.G).

Any dispute that one party has to the SLI must be brought within 60 days of the final ruling and cannot change the initial SLI arbitration award (Par 5.I).

Once the final arbitration ruling is handed down, the FAA recognizes SOC, and the NMB recognizes single carrier status, all AirTran pilots become represented by SWAPA (Par 6.B).

Please, if you have a different paragraph to reference with that allegation, post it here, I'd love to read it, but I've read through the long document 3 times now and can't find anything that allows for a different implementation date based on any other SPECIFIC EVENT.

Again, this doesn't give any side an "advantage", it just details that this is GOING to happen, it's going to happen rather quickly, and it takes all the stress off us average line pilots to where we're going to relax, sit back, and let the Merger Committees do their job to find a fair and equitable agreement or get as close as they can and let the 3-panel arbitration team finish doing that for us.

People can continue to talk Doom and Gloom, but no one is taking the flame bait, that's all. Still look forward to buying you guys a frosty beverage when it's all said and done. :beer:

Last edited:
No, they're not.

Yes they are. You left off the end of 5g. The plain facts are that absent a negotiated agreement there are no guarantees.

Southwest Airlines press release:

http://swamedia.com/releases/e92ed2d6-ca48-da7f-caa0-6b004da76053

Thu, Apr 14, 2011 - DALLAS -
Earlier today, the respective Unions representing Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) and AirTran Airways Pilots, as well as both Companies signed a Four-Party Process Agreement that provides for the two pilot groups to begin their seniority integration discussions prior to legal closing of the AirTran acquisition. It also outlines provisions of an implementation schedule in the event an agreement is reached on an integrated seniority list (ISL). Southwest anticipates closing on its acquisition of AirTran Airways in second quarter of 2011.
"This is yet another important step in the overall process of bringing these two great carriers together," said Mike Van de Ven, Southwest Airlines Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "I applaud both sides for signing this important agreement that lays the groundwork for bringing together these two hard working Pilot groups."
The Southwest Airlines Pilots' Association (SWAPA) and the Air Line Pilots' Association (ALPA) can now begin the work of integrating seniority lists in accordance with the McCaskill-Bond Act. This new Four-Party Process Agreement also creates a timeline for SWAPA and ALPA to reach an ISL agreement. If an agreement is not reached during this timeframe, the matter will be sent to arbitration and a new implementation process will have to be negotiated.

No more stalling. It is time to play ball fellas.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back