• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bake

I LIKE THE GEEZER METER!!
Associated Press
Southwest Airlines posts a profitable quarter
Thursday January 22, 8:33 am ET

DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines' fourth-quarter profit rose 57 percent as revenue rose 8.3 percent.
The airline said Thursday it earned $66 million, or 8 cents a share, for the October-December period, up from $42 million, or 5 cents a share, a year earlier.

Operating revenues for the fourth quarter totaled $1.52 billion, up from $1.4 billion in the fourth quarter in 2002.

Chief executive James F. Parker said the airline managed to stay ahead in revenues despite increasing labor and jet fuel costs that helped boost operating expenses by 7.1 percnt.

"As expected, we are experiencing some cost pressures. Our low cost competitive advantage will endure, however," Parker said in a statement.

For the year, the airline said it earned $442 million, or 54 cents a share, compared to $241 million, or 30 cent a share, in 2002. Operating revenues increased 7.5 percent to $5.9 billion for the year from $5.5 billion a year ago.

You all must be doing something right. Congrats and keep that SWA attitude that so many others lack.

More news....

Southwest just recently exercised 5 options for '05 into firm orders. More good news for future pilot hiring!

Southwest Airlines Co.
Boeing 737-700 Delivery Schedule
As of 12/31/2003
Prior Schedule Current Schedule
Firm Options* Firm Options*

2004 47 --- 47 ** ---
2005 23 11 28 6
2006 22 12 22 12
2007 25 29 25 29
2008 6 45 6 45
2009-2012 --- 177 --- 177
Total 123 274 128 269

*Includes purchase rights
**Includes one leased aircraft

Funny, on the last trip I flew all I heard from the pilot group was rumor of 4th quarter loss. Glad the amateur analysts were wrong! ;)

Speaking of amature analysts....

You guys are on deck tomorrow for Quarterly and YE numbers, and it will be a quarter of marginal profit. Wait till you see the 1st Q numbers. I'm predicting the first Quarterly loss since 91.

lowlycfi said:
Funny, on the last trip I flew all I heard from the pilot group was rumor of 4th quarter loss. Glad the amateur analysts were wrong! ;)

We were all talking about the Eagles game.

Latest resources

Back