Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Students and freshly minted commercial pilots read here!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcjohn said:
Would you mind explaining how the hell someone is going to have a lot of real world IFR/multi/turbine experience at 500 TT without having to pay for it?
Maybe their dad has a King Air or something?!
Let's be realistic here.

Networking and busting their hump, thats how the hell.

My fiance got an internship where she was flying light jets and turboprops with less than 300 hours. I have another friend who got to fly in a B200 with a 135 check airman and log the 91 legs all because he washed their airplanes while working on his PPL, having more than 100 hours KA time before cracking 500tt. A guy on CaaM got hired into the right seat of a Citation around 400tt because he networked as a lineman. Another young pilot I met was flying the right seat of a single-pilot light jet, and having been sent to school for it, was legally logging jet PIC on the legs he was sole manipulator under the close watch of the 10,000+ hour chief pilot with whom he had flown hundreds of unloggable hours in the right seat. I myself got sent to FlightSafety to train on the Beechjet around 800tt as part of an internship. While you've got to work hard and be very, very lucky, similar opportunities are out there. And Wankel described Air Cargo Carriers quite well...

I'm on a mission to help people not destroy there lives and undermine the industry all at the same time. My jealousy (even if its there) is put aside for a more noble cause.

I'm all for your noble cause because education of future professional pilots is key...but don't be so short sighted that you dismiss the route others have taken because it doesn't mesh with your situation.

How'd this become so complicated. My message simply put is to steer folks away from going to over priced schools and to not be in debt 100k at 300TT. I don't think anyone will disagree with me that you will be under qualified for any jet job at 500TT. More power to the guy that lucks up and gets that opportunity. I just hope he isn't in debt 100k. Because if he is in debt that much then without a doubt he got ripped off and you prove that with your stories of how people get turbine jobs without having to pay immensely for it.

I work at a place that does hire that low. Although it is not perfect...like any company is. It is a great place to cut your teeth doing 135 cargo in a large turboprop. Your going to learn a great deal and you are more than a gear puller that isn't allowed to fly.

Would you mind me asking what company that is?

Um yea you might want to reread my post about the part where I request the FAA revoke all my ratings so I can start at DCA immediately. I guess I should have put "all my CURRENT ratings"!!! My post bleeds sarcasm!!!! lol

cjs said:
Here's some advice from left field:

Be smart. Find something you're good at, more or less enjoy, and can make a lot of money doing. Buy a plane and fly on the side. Newsflash .. after awhile, flying is just another job .. unfortunately one with low pay and zero stability. Chances are if you make a career out of this "hobby", you'll regret it in the long run .. unless you're the kind of guy who likes being poor, underemployed, and prepetually bored with the mundane routine of flying a bus from airport A to B to C to A, etc. Really, I never could understand how someone could do this stuff for a living unless they're very easily entertained/challenged.
How are you qualified to make this decision? I love flying, the pay right now sucks, but everyday I wake up and am excited as hell going to work, I dont regret it now, and I have been doing it for 8 years, I would not trade it for anything in the world.

mcjohn said:
How'd this become so complicated. My message simply put is to steer folks away from going to over priced schools and to not be in debt 100k at 300TT. I don't think anyone will disagree with me that you will be under qualified for any jet job at 500TT. More power to the guy that lucks up and gets that opportunity. I just hope he isn't in debt 100k. Because if he is in debt that much then without a doubt he got ripped off and you prove that with your stories of how people get turbine jobs without having to pay immensely for it.

I'm with you mcjohn! I went to CAPT, with 100K in debt, came out of there with their 225TT (although I had time I built outside of CAPT). I'm jobless with aviation, and my life's pretty FUBAR as a result. They took 5 weeks to get my resume out the door to ASA after graduation. Then took another month after my initial request to send my resume to Air Wisco.

While there have been people hired out of CAPT, I now firmly believe that they got lucky as the hiring news has slowed to a crawl. So I did the math and figured that if somehow I get a job for 85K, paying 3X the monthly on my debt, it'll take me 3.5 years to pay the loan off. When those 3.5 years has past, I'll still have about as much money as I have in my bank account today (which is to say nothing). Good times...so mcjohn, if you know people who needs a good kick in the ass, I'm their reality check.

Last edited:
Flying Ninja said:
So I did the math and figured that if somehow I get a job for 85K, paying 3X the monthly on my debt, it'll take me 3.5 years to pay the loan off. When those 3.5 years has past, I'll still have about as much money as I have in my bank account today (which is to say nothing).

I'm sorry to hear about the tight spot you are in. However, a job at 85k/year in aviation would qualify as a minor miracle given your experience level. I would posit that 85k/year job for a recent college grad is more likely to be found in other fields like pharmaceuticals or as a leg-breaker for the Columbo outfit.

Or, if your a Family Guy fan, you could whore yourself out to 1000 fat chicks for a $100 a throw, or one really fat chick for $100,000.

Keep your chin up, it will work out.

LXJ31 said:
I'm sorry to hear about the tight spot you are in. However, a job at 85k/year in aviation would qualify as a minor miracle given your experience level.

I should clarify. I'd need to find a job that pays $85K *outside* of aviation. Hell, I couldn't land a job making $17,500 with ASA, how the hell am I going to find a job paying $85K out of the gate? :)

I am a Family Guy fan, however. But I will not whore myself out to any fat chicks.

"I like where this is goin'! Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy"

Ohh maaan! CAPT......I'm upset FOR you. That's as bad as it gets. There was a website for a while captiscrap.com that told me everything I needed to know about that place. I'm sooooo sorry you went there. I'm passionate about this stuff. We (all pilots) have got to work together to expose these places for what they really are. These places take folks who dream of having a career in the sky and then rape, pillage, and torture you financially and dump you to the street after fully demoralizing you. Good luck to you in the future. Stay around FI and CaaM. Network with folks, learn everything you can around here and try to make your way back into aviation. If you can come up with 4 grand GET YOUR CFI. I paid for all my ratings with cash tips I made as a bellman and valet at a five star hotel. Easily made $100-200 a day in cash tips working only 30 hours a week which leaves time to do a little instructing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back