Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Students and freshly minted commercial pilots read here!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mcjohn

Hi folks, my name is mcjohn and I've been sent from outer space to inform students and freshly minted commercial pilots not to destroy the universe.

Do not go to Gulfstream Academy.
Do not go to Delta Connection Academy.
Do not go to ATP
Do not go to Regional Airline Academy
Do not go to Mesa Pilot Development
Do not go anywhere that has a glossy ad in AOPA's Flight Training magazine.

Why? It could destroy your life. Take it from me. I LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!
No really, I'm doing just fine but that's b/c I didn't go to those places above.
We all have to suffer through some depressing stuff to pay our dues but don't let yourself going into debt 80k to 100+k be part of it.
You may get into the cockpit of a jet faster by going to those places but let's consider the consequences of being a F/O for a regional when your 100k in debt and occasionally snickered at by fellow pilots in the industry:

1. Basically you'll being paying off a "mortgage" on your training debt that will equal what you have to pay in rent while your making less than 30k/year for your first couple of years as first officer. Practically impossible, and remember, airlines look at your credit history before they hire you.
2. As a result you will not be able to wine/dine women effectively, purchase a home and will remain in the renters trap for years.
3. Will probably be a little underqualified for your F/O position a get stuck in that right seat for too many years.
4. As a result of that you will not be able to log any PIC time (left seat time) that is crucial if you want to seek out other employment opportunities. So you may be stuck putting up with bad QOL (qual. of life) and bad pay with no other options on the table.
5. For Delta Conn. Academy (and similar), if you stick w/their program, you're already practicing bending over for management by accepting $10/hour to instruct for a school that cost you 100k to get through.

Aaaanyway, I came close to going to places like those above but made the decision to take that 100k and buy a house instead and here's the result:

1. Found an awesome woman and married her (they like dudes w/ houses). She splits the bills w/ me. Don't shack up or get married just to split the bills BUT do enjoy the financial freedom you gain after doing so.
2. Took my extra money and chipped away at ratings here and there and where ever I thought the deal was good and became a CFI.
3. Understand CFI is all you need to get started b/c the places that hire you will help you on the cost of CFII and MEI if you do a good job for them.
4. Have had the opportunity to fly many different aircraft which is important for building crucial pilot skills and upgrading well to a captain once you're a first officer.
5. Gave me the time to realize that PIC time is crucial if you want to get into the unstable regional airline world......becoming a F/O at 500TT is not a stable place anyone would really want to be if they only knew better.

The list could go on and on but I hope you get the picture.
Take this stuff to heart and it may help to slowly repair the airline industry. Maybe once again it can become a place where folks could actually enjoy having a career and pilots are compensated for and hired for there high level of experience and professionalism.

Now take that 100k loan that you qualify for and do something responsible with it and help restore the natural balance of universe!!!!

Something to add...

I was driving around Phoenix the other day listening to the local AM sports talk station when an advertisement for the "Regional Airline Academy" came on and breathlessly informed me that "10,000 NEW AIRLINE PILOTS ARE NEEDED THIS YEAR ALONE!!!!" My jaw fell open and I (almost) dropped my beer.

Please, do NOT believe these kind of ads. There will always be far more qualified individuals than jobs available. I am not saying don't chase your dreams, but go in with your eyes open, measure the risks and do not whore yourselves out.

LXJ31 said:
Something to add...

I was driving around Phoenix the other day listening to the local AM sports talk station when an advertisement for the "Regional Airline Academy" came on and breathlessly informed me that "10,000 NEW AIRLINE PILOTS ARE NEEDED THIS YEAR ALONE!!!!" My jaw fell open and I (almost) dropped my beer.

Please, do NOT believe these kind of ads. There will always be far more qualified individuals than jobs available. I am not saying don't chase your dreams, but go in with your eyes open, measure the risks and do not whore yourselves out.

So you were driving and you almost dropped your beer? My kind of guy.

mcjohn said:
5. Gave me the time to realize that PIC time is crucial if you want to get into the unstable regional airline world......becoming a F/O at 500TT is not a stable place anyone would really want to be if they only knew better.
While I agree with the fact that PIC time is crucial for ADM skills and knowledge, saying becoming an FO at 500 hours "is not a stable place anyone would really want to be if they only knew better" smacks of arrogance and jealousy towards those that were fortunate enough to get hired with that number in their logbook. Your way is not the only way and it is not the "best" way, either.

You also seem to be forgetting (along with many others on this board) that while 500 is half of 1000 and one third of 1500, there are many pilots out there that have far more real-world IFR/multi/turbine/whatever experience at 500 hours than many with double or triple the TT...and they didn't have to whip out the checkbook to get that experience.

Otherwise, excellent post about using good financial sense!

LXJ31 said:
Something to add...

i love it

Here's some advice from left field:

Be smart. Find something you're good at, more or less enjoy, and can make a lot of money doing. Buy a plane and fly on the side. Newsflash .. after awhile, flying is just another job .. unfortunately one with low pay and zero stability. Chances are if you make a career out of this "hobby", you'll regret it in the long run .. unless you're the kind of guy who likes being poor, underemployed, and prepetually bored with the mundane routine of flying a bus from airport A to B to C to A, etc. Really, I never could understand how someone could do this stuff for a living unless they're very easily entertained/challenged.

This thread should be required to read before anyone may post at FI

BoilerUP said:
there are many pilots out there that have far more real-world IFR/multi/turbine/whatever experience at 500 hours than many with double or triple the TT...and they didn't have to whip out the checkbook to get that experience.

Would you mind explaining how the hell someone is going to have a lot of real world IFR/multi/turbine experience at 500 TT without having to pay for it?
Maybe their dad has a King Air or something?!
Let's be realistic here.
I'm on a mission to help people not destroy there lives and undermine the industry all at the same time. My jealousy (even if its there) is put aside for a more noble cause.

mcjohn said:
Would you mind explaining how the hell someone is going to have a lot of real world IFR/multi/turbine experience at 500 TT without having to pay for it?
Maybe their dad has a King Air or something?!
Let's be realistic here.
I'm on a mission to help people not destroy there lives and undermine the industry all at the same time. My jealousy (even if its there) is put aside for a more noble cause.

Uncle Sam's flying club. If your in the ANG and were lucky enough to get hired with minimal civilian time you should have around 500 hrs after UPT. I'd assume they are pretty competative at the regional level since they've been hiring ATP instructors with 700tt

Disagree fully! Good point though. That is the ONLY way to have IFR, Multi, Turbine experience at 500TT and I did not think of that.
500TT from the ANG would not give a flyer more experience than an ATP instructor with 700TT. First of all, do people in the ANG get CFI ratings? Not that I've heard of. At least not before 500TT.
Second of all, ATP instructors are not bad instructors from what I hear, it takes a special kind of talent to instruct full time in a rating mill environement like ATP. Those folks probably won't have half the stress and responsibility as a F/O at a regional as they did instructing for ATP.
Third of all, there is A LOT to be said of someone with any military back ground and I can easily see why they would be competitive at 500TT against an ATP instructor with similar time. People out of the military tend to be excellent, reliable, and disciplined employees.

Still folks, do not go to ATP's career program. Let's explore more deep thoughts from mcjohn handy:

Here's an idea. The way of Wal-Mart has taken over the regional airline world. Why can't it take over the flight training world?!

DCA, Pan-Am...it's all the same. Student pays 80g's and the instructor makes crap.
Wal-Mart.....shopper pays hardly anything and the employees make hardly anything.

So.....If a CFI makes 10 bucks an hour then the student should get CFI/CFII/MEI for 24g's or less.
.........If a CFI makes 50 bucks and hour then the student should get CFI/CFII/MEI for 80g's or more.

What's wrong here?! I got one word for the owners of those flight schools:
GREED

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back