Strike/Netjets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
El Chupacabra said:
That may be true at an airline.... Airlines can cancel flights.

We have already had days where we exhausted all of our assets plus all the Charter lift available.

Also though some folks don't seem to believe it... our Owners do NOT want to fly on chartered selloffs. I see the notes. DO NOT SELLOFF on the briefing... that comes when a person gets more than his share of selloffs.

All I am saying is for you guys to watch your numbers. You can be sure that the company has it figured down to the penny and minute as to how long they can go in a strike situation. They probably have a pretty good estimate on how long your pilot group can go without pay also.

Additionally, most, if not all of your owners are businessmen and women too. The majority of them will not be on your side if you shut it down. Chances are they deal with the same labor issues that NJ does and many would endure 121 and 135 transportation long enough to break the pilots bank accounts.

You must be careful to not push for something that the owners feel is unreasonable. If their rates and ownership fee's increase because of a pilot labor action, there will be zero sympathy for your group. You can be sure that the point will come when NJ will start the propaganda machine in motion toward the owners. The pilot union will need to find a way to communicate their issues to the owners as well.....and a bunch of P/Oed pilots complaining en-route is not the way. That will simply push the owners more toward managments position.

You are not an airline as you said, in several ways you are in a much worse position than the average airline union because your passengers have a much bigger stake in the company than Joe 121 Pax does. If you start hitting their wallets hard, they will have no mercy on you. However you do have some things going for you that the airlines do not as well (owner loyalty to your pilot group) But that can quickly turn bad if they take a financial hit.

Like I said, I hope it works out for you folks. The passengers have spoken on the 121 side of things, and the airline pilots are getting creamed. They would rather have $49 fares than experienced content pilots.

I would have to say I disagree. Never has there been a pilot group with MORE leverage than this one. Simply need to be released.

Once again when that happens the company will fold their cards... and they will PAY. They cannot cancel flights and they cannot run a business by chartering all their lift.

You are correct that it would be better for them to settle, and I think they probably will. Be prepared if they do not though, They know what the pilot market is right now. And the odds are not on our side. This is probably the weakest position the professional pilot has ever been in. There are guys out there fighting over $15,000 a year RJ jobs.
There may be guys fighting over $15K/year RJ jobs, but there aren't pilots fighting over $27K/year bizjet jobs. There is a clear reason for this. Most $15K/year fighting RJ pilots are building time and do not have an ATP much less the minimums required for this job. Two completely different industries from a pilot and hiring standpoint. In case you are unaware, Netjets is finding it very difficult to get new hires in the door. Half of them don't even show up for day 1 of training. In contrast to the RJ job, we are probably in the strongest position ever!

These " industries" are more similar than you would like to admit. How many people do you think are coming to NJA now because they have other options? I would guess most of your new hires are furloughed major and regional pilots with no place else to go. And the rest are those with an ATP and a pulse willing to work for substandard pay.

As it was mentioned in another post, the owners will probably be on the side of management (that is who they are).
Go on strike, maybe some of those high paying corporate pilot jobs that went to the "underpaid Frac pilots willing to work for peanuts (or left over catering) will return to the private sector.

Live4flyng said:
There may be guys fighting over $15K/year RJ jobs, but there aren't pilots fighting over $27K/year bizjet jobs. There is a clear reason for this. Most $15K/year fighting RJ pilots are building time and do not have an ATP much less the minimums required for this job. Two completely different industries from a pilot and hiring standpoint. In case you are unaware, Netjets is finding it very difficult to get new hires in the door. Half of them don't even show up for day 1 of training. In contrast to the RJ job, we are probably in the strongest position ever!

What kind of payscale will you guys be looking for in a new contract. I know that 100K at year five is a big point, but what kind of F/O payscale is the union asking for.

Thanks

The exact amounts the negotiating committee is looking for is a closely guarded secret, known to that commitee and the MEC. But if I find out, I'll be glad to post it on a public forum... r i g h t. :rolleyes:

Its nice to see more flight departments starting up in my home town, the owners are smart enough to stay away from the fracs. They like being in control.
Their are people that have an entire business of helping frac owners get out of their vary detailed (hidden fees) contract.
But what do I know im just a Cub pilot, I think I will apply to Jetblue I saw ther add today in trade a plane.
Its much more enjoyable to fly with pilots that enjoy their job.

Thanks
J3 guy

maybe someone can post some good info:

#1. Are negotiations currently taking place?

#2. When do you expect it to go to mediation?

#3. Base on above, when would the pilot group expect to be released into the 30 day cooling off period?

I'm thinking that if the pilots do walk, June/July/Aug would not be a bad time to be out of work.

100LL is right....

I hate to see someone get under your skin. Since the idea has been brought up, though, I was wondering what NJ pilots think of vendors. Being one, we enjoy the extra business we can get by helping out but I would hate to think of us taking away any leverage you guys have in getting your contract taken care of. I have met quite a few of your pilots and have to say I've enjoyed talking to everyone. I'm pulling for you to get your contract done, because it is symptomatic of aviation in general and it's time for pilots to be paid what they're worth. Anyway, good luck and I hope you don't hate us vendors!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back