• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stopping the slide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!!! DOOMED!!!!! I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley.

NRPM the FAA does it all the time. It's the mechanism you're refering to and it's how the FAA internally makes changes to the FAR's.

We can lobby AOPA, ALPA, and other alphabet organizations for support too. It doesn't hurt to ask! And, it doesn't hurt to seek political clout.

The average bill doesn't generate even 1000 emails or phone calls from constituents to either call for support or call to reject the proposal. With 66,000 ALPA members plus Teamsters and APA...we should be about to get a couple hundred pings per member of congress.

It's worth a try. Things won't get better if we do nothing.

fastbird said:
Here's one battle plan that ALPA hasn't indorsed and I don't hear about anyone else writing to congress over it.

Make Part 121 carriers have to hire to the same min standard at Part 135.
I've written my congressmen and senators. I'd challenge every Part 121 pilot worth their salt to do the same.
I guess ALPA would be more concerned about dues right now than down the road but if the pilot supply was tightened down considerably, wouldn't that drive the price of a pilot up?

I can bet that there are more than a few pilots out there that if they didn't have that short time in a pilot mill, they'd have never made it to the time required for 135 mins. And yes, I did have the time when I got hired at the regional level.

I guess I'll be writting a letter here shortly, to Duane, my congressman and senator.

fastbird said:
Getting that strong political message is OUR job. If enough people BOTHER to write it will make a difference. We also have to put our limited dues paying pressure on ALPA to support the movement too.

True, this won't end the ability for someone to buy enough hours. But, it might provide a little help against SJS and the pilot mills.

Think Econ 101, when supply is high the price is lower. We have too many pilots willing to work for peanuts! That is a supply problem, just like our companies have a supply problem with over capacity and they can't raise ticket prices.

If you can't think of what to write, PM me and I'll send you a copy of what I composed.

FB

I have been saying this for a while. I'll do you one better - require an ATP to fly for an airline. And stop allowing incompetents pilots to get their ATP on a $900 weekend at a certificate mill.

ATP rides with FAA or Airline check airman only.

That certificate is WAY too wasy to get. It is meaningless.

Tank Commander said:
PCL 128,
Could you define "Agency Shop,"

From wikipedia.com:

[SIZE=-1]Agency Shop - A place of employment where workers must pay union dues whether they are a member of a labor union or not. This mandatory payment is sometimes called the Rand formula. The first agency shop was established at the Ford Motor Company plant in Ontario, Canada, in 1946. [/SIZE]

100LL...I agree with your assessment and that could very well be the next step. But, first...let's try and get some momentum behind a leveling of the standards that already exist.

So, whats the purpose? Revenue generator? Are all airlines with ALPA representation Agency Shops? and if not why? Who determines what airlines will be Agency Shops?

Requiring 1200 TT to be hired as a 121 pilot just like a 135 pilot is lowering the 121 standard in what way? I use this section because all my Part 121 flying has been on an IFR flight plan.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]FAA FAR 135.243c Operating Requirements[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Certificate holders may not use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command of an aircraft under IFR unless that person--[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica](1) Holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that aircraft; and[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica](2) Has had at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 hours of which were in actual flight; and[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica](3) For an airplane, holds an instrument rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category rating; or[/FONT]
(4) For a helicopter, holds a helicopter instrument rating, or an airline transport pilot certificate with a category and class rating for that aircraft, not limited to VFR.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back