Stopping the slide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tank Commander said:
So, whats the purpose? Revenue generator? Are all airlines with ALPA representation Agency Shops? and if not why? Who determines what airlines will be Agency Shops?
The purpose is simple: non-members shouldn't be able to get away with not paying dues when they directly benefit from the contract that ALPA negotiates and maintains. Agency Shop forces non-members to contribute to the cause that they benefit from.

No, not all ALPA carriers are agency shop. FedEx is a good example of an ALPA carrier that is not agency shop. Pinnacle wasn't either at first. Each MEC determines how they are going to set things up. Agency Shop is written in our current CBA in Section 29. Take a look.

We didn't have unions in the military. That was called mutiny and they either shoot you or throw you under a prison some where. I think unions are great! We need one. But last time I looked everyone on the negotiation committee for our airline is a pilot at our airline. So in fact we negotiated our own contract. With I'm sure the watchful eye and legal reps. from ALPA all one or two of them that were assigned. All the money? it just doesn't add up. Hell they didn't even give us a Christmas party last year!

Last edited:
Tank Commander said:
We didn't have unions in the military. That was call mutiny and they either shoot you or throw you under a prison some where.

Newsflash: you're not in the military anymore. Time to stop thinking like a grunt and start thinking like an Air Line Pilot that deserves respect and fair compensation for the position he holds.

I think unions are great! We need one. But last time I looked everyone on the negotiation committee for our airline is a pilot at our airline. So in fact we negotiated our own contract. With I'm sure the watchful eye and legal reps. from ALPA all one or two of them that were assigned. All the money? it just doesn't add up. Hell they didn't even give us a Christmas party last year!

I can assure you that it "all adds up." We receive far more money and services from ALPA than we pay in. Refer to Adrian's Climb and Maintain article from last year for more info about that. Our return on investment from ALPA is superb.

We don't just have "one or two" lawyers at our disposal as you think. We have a single Lawyer/Contract Administrator that deals with our day-to-day affairs, but a virtual army of lawyers is available when the need arises. Not to mention the aeromedical services, safety work, representation on CapHill, etc...

[Newsflash: you're not in the military anymore.
No $hit a$$, cause if we were, you definitely would not be in the shape that you are in!
I'm glad to see you found an organization to belong to. It's important for one to feel part of something. I just wish you would have started with the boy scouts.

Last edited:
PCL 128,
You did answer a lot of question for me tonight and I do appreciate it.
Good night bud, see you in DTW

Last edited:
Newsflash!! Regionals suck as for paying a fair wage. Any dreams of this being a short-term job on your way to the majors has long past. Christ, I made twice your 1st yr FO pay flying seafood let alone 50+ people.

You've got to stand for something
or you'll fall for anything.

-Aaron Tippin

PCL_128 said:
Newsflash: you're not in the military anymore. Time to stop thinking like a grunt and start thinking like an Air Line Pilot that deserves respect and fair compensation for the position he holds.
Easy killer... :)

Tank is on board, he's just trying to puzzle this whole thing out, which is ADMIRABLE. Most line pilots have no freakin' clue and couldn't tell you where to get a copy of the ALPA bylaws, much less have studied our contract. At least he's putting forth the effort.

... We receive far more money and services from ALPA than we pay in. Refer to Adrian's Climb and Maintain article from last year for more info about that. Our return on investment from ALPA is superb.
Not exactly. IF you have a problem and IF Legal or Aeromedical have to step in (and decide to do so in a constructive, aggressive way), then you most certainly get more out of your dues than you ever put in.

On the other hand, if you go through the airline life accepting whatever the company gives you without grieving things, get crap contracts handed to you with ALPA National handing the sh*t sandwich saying "Here, you'll like it", and never make it to a major where the REAL money from ALPA is spent, you'll have paid out in dues FAR more than you'll ever get out of it.

I have YET to have ANY of the 23 grievances I've filed at this airline EVER reimburse me a single d*mn penny lost. A large portion of that problem lies in the RLA, but some of it in failure of the CCC to follow-up on grievances or simpy drop them "because we'd spend too much money pursuing your individual grievance" without notifying me and allowing me to continue pursuing them on an individual basis.

There are dozens of horror stories about airline pilots who fly 20 years, keep to themselves, then have a problem, piss off their ALPA rep, and end up on the street after half-assed or ZERO representation by their reps (there's a LOT of lawsuits pending against ALPA for "failure to represent"). No matter what anyone tells you, the quality of representation you get is HIGHLY political, based on your rapport with your MEC. If I ever got into trouble here at PCL I'd hire my own attorney and use ALPA's money until it ran out then continue on my own dime. Almost every pilot who has done that here has gotten 6-digit settlements out of the company and their records cleared; those that relied on ALPA have been 50/50 win/lose.

ALPA isn't the end-all be-all of airline life; it needs a SERIOUS top-down housecleaning and reassessment of their long-term political and strategic goals.

As far as requiring an ATP to fly Part 121 even as an F/O - I've been saying that for years... Now to lobby D.C. I know who my reps are - I used to fly one of them in a Lear some years ago... Would love to see everyone else do the same!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back