• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit #) day cooling off period ...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The worst part of this, is you can see the division in this group. It manifests itself on this and the spirtpilots board. I truly hope we can put aside our political(ALPA) differences and Focus on the company, our true enemy at this time.

Maybe ALPO should write an article about that.

spiritboard is reporting that company is preparing for strike by hiring scabs and speculation of canceling recalls of furloughees. No confirmation from MEC or indentification of source. Clearly this would imply a release but too soon to say.

spiritboard is reporting that company is preparing for strike by hiring scabs and speculation of canceling recalls of furloughees. No confirmation from MEC or indentification of source. Clearly this would imply a release but too soon to say.

Wow.

Looks like Spirit management is pulling out the Doug Steenland playbook.

Northwest hired and trained 1200 scab FA's and 1500 scab mechanics during negotiations.

I think I read somewhere that Spirit has 500 pilots? That is unfortunately a number that favors management in this scenario. Although I think it would be harder to find pilots that are willing to throw the rest of their career in the toilet by taking the job.

There is no morals or ethics when it comes to airline management these days. Good luck guys.

They cannot staff and run the airline properly now...the fact that people even entertain the notion that they are going to replace 500 of us in four weeks is idiotic.

Last edited:
They cannot staff and run the airline properly now...the fact that people even entertain the notion that they are going to replace 500 of us in four weeks is idiotic.

That's not how it works.

Northwest had 11,000 FA's at the time...yes that's THOUSAND. Steenland bragged that he could run the airline on a skeleton schedule with the 1200 scabs, management FA's flying trips and a guesstimated percentage of FA's that would cross, all the while continuing to run new FA's thru training.

It was a HUGE gamble that he was willing to take. The FA's caved.

At Spirit I would imagine they would be satisfied with a hundred or so current and qualified 320 guys off the street (maybe in their late 50s with no other shot left in aviation). Management pilots required to fly trips, and a certain number that would get scared (probably older guys) and cross.

I'm just throwing potential scenarios out there. Your management team is either A) REALLY dumb or B) has some serious brass balls. I just read 4 airlines promised not to do the bag charge thing , but that Spirit is not backing down from it. It's almost like they just don't give a shi..

Steenland may have 'bragged' about it, but how much of that is ego? Of course he's not goin to come out and say if the FA's strike we're F*ed. BBB has 'bragged' about many things that have never come true, nor ever will. I cant see NW making it running 10% of their schdule, let alone NK. 15 flights a day? Right....

Last edited:
Steenland may have 'bragged' about it, but how much of that is ego? Of course he's not goin to come out and say if the FA's strike we're F*ed. ..

Yeah, to say Steenland had an ego doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of describing his mentality.

The 1200 "replacement" FA's were trained on their 'IOE' flights by the unionized FA's!

They were training their own replacements if indeed they did strike!

It was unprecedented.

Steenland put a 'Final offer' on the table and the PFA (I believe that was their union at the time) refused it. The majority of FA's voted not to strike and when they went back with their tails between their legs Steenland offered a much worse offer than the 'Final offer' and the FA's took it.

It was unbelievable to watch and a sad day for labor. The pilots (ALPA) had already made their deal with the devil so Steenland wasn't afraid of a sympathy strike from us.

The whole thing was embarrassing...

Latest resources

Back