Speed below Class B

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Guys,

It's kinda simple. When in doubt, slow down! If you think you are close to being below Class B, slow down. If you slow down a few miles too soon, no one will care. There is no Minimum Speed FAR.

I'm all for going fast, but not when it comes to risking my certificate.

JetPilot500

In addition to the FARs

FAA Order 7110.65N Air Traffic Control effective 02/21/02 includes Change 1 effective 08/08/02

Chapter 5
Section 7

NOTE-
1. A pilot operating at or above 10,000 feet MSL on an assigned speed adjustment greater than 250 knots is expected to comply with 14 CFR Section 91.117(a) when cleared below 10,000 feet MSL, within domestic airspace, without notifying ATC. Pilots are expected to comply with the other provisions of 14 CFR Section 91.117 without notification.

2. Speed restrictions of 250 knots do not apply to aircraft operating beyond 12 NM from the coastline within the U.S. Flight Information Region, in offshore Class E airspace below 10,000 feet MSL. However, in airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport, or in a VFR corridor designated through such as a Class B airspace area, pilots are expected to comply with the 200 knot speed limit specified in 14 CFR Section 91.117(c). (See 14 CFR Sections 91.117(c) and 91.703.)

For clarification & saving some from having to dig:

91.117 Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator , no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 m.p.h.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B sirspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 m.p.h).

(d) If the minimum safe speed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Last edited:
Falcon Capt:

You're right, they won't tell you to intentionally bust a reg and that the PIC must request a higher speed for safety purposes. My bad. I'm just used to controllers asking pilots to "keep their speed up."

I guess it all goes back to your signature line...

"Your aircraft should never arrive at a point where your mind wasn't 30 seconds earlier."

Tailwinds...

LJDRVR,

[Under the terminal tab of your Jepp book #1, You will find Class B charts for every Class B airport in the US. If you are flying to a Class B satellite airport, pull this chart out during cruise to familiarize yourself with it. ]

My Terminal Tab doesn't contain those charts and my Log of Current Pages doesn't say they go there. Must be airline specific.

El Cid Av8or,

[A controller can request that an aircraft keep up speed in excess of 200 KIAS for seperation and believe it or not, weight issues. From what I understand though, it must be worked out with the controlling facility beforehand]

I think you're refering to this:

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

Around C or D ATC can authorize you to go faster than 200 but not greater than 250.

The Class B maps in my Jepps are the first page for the associated city. Before the DP's and STARS. Suppose you could pull them all out and put them under the terminal tab...

[Suppose you could pull them all out and put them under the terminal tab...[

Not really. The Log of Current Pages is the order in which the Jeppesen binder should be organized. My LOG pages indicate the 10-1A (Class B Chart) is either the first page or immediately after the 10-1 (Area Chart) for a particular airport; then the 10-2 (Arrivals) and 10-3 (Departures). Some airports (KAUS, KDFW, etc.) don't use the 10 prefix but the suffix protocol remains the same.

The FNG:

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for digging up the exact wording.

I still like the full-page ad I had from an old aviation magazine. It was for Air Force ROTC and it had a picture of an SR-71 almost at altitude and said "In our world, there is no speed limit..." :)

Quick speed related question for the gurus (maybe a little thread drift here, sorry).

I noticed in the FARs about speed being <250 under 10K, but there isn't a "speed limit" within Class B, right?

The reason I ask is because in Dallas, the Class B extends to 11K, and people I fly with hesitate to accelerate past 250 on the climbout until 11K, because they think that the 250 rule is within the Class B airspace. I haven't found the FAR which states that.

Does it even exist?

14 CFR 91.117 makes no mention of speed WITHIN Class B, so there is NO actual speed limit WITHIN Class B. Below 10,000 MSL 91.117A states 250kts. is max and that INCLUDES the Class B BELOW 10. However, if you're above 10 and still inside Class B feel free to accelerate! Denver's Class B also extends to 12000'MSL.

Latest resources

Back