Speed below Class B

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Consigliere
Ok, here's another good question for you legal scholars out there.

14 CFR 91.117c states maximum speed below Class B is 200knots. Ok we all know that.

My question is how am I supposed to know when I'm beneath Class B, if I'm on a radar vector?

Does ATC have any responsibility for telling me to slow down or point out that I'm beneath Class B.?

Of the top of my head this is a pretty common occurrence at airports like TEB, APA, SDL, SGR, SNA, where at some point you will be taken off the arrival and given a vector for final that takes you beneath the Class B. Now common sense tells you to slow down, but if you're leading the pack I don't want to slow down unnecessarily.

Even when on radar vectors, you still need to know where you are!:eek: I fly into several airports located below or around Class B airspace and I have a radio or the FMS programed to aid me in keeping track of my position, plus an open map.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but wouldn't your altimeter tell you when your below class B. :p

cessna_driver2 said:
I'm not sure but wouldn't your altimeter tell you when your below class B. :p

I have been trying but I just can't seem to teach my altimeter to talk... I taught my Altitude Alerter to say "Altitude" but thats all he'll say!

:p ;) :D :eek: :p ;) :D :rolleyes:

You should always know where you are in relation to any kind of controlled airspace. I cheat and use my Garmin GPS III Pilot since it has the borders layed out. You can also use DME if there is a VORTAC beacon around (and of course, your plane is equipped with DME).

Falcon Capt:

I know you're a good man who works hard, does a great job taking care of his family, and probably has other good credentials. However, with statements like that, somtimes I think

YOU AIN'T RIGHT!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not really what I was asking regarding knowing my position. I guess I should have phased it, "Can I exceed the 200 knot speed limit below Class B if on a radar vector and ATC has not given me a speed reduction?"

It would seem to me that, technically, ATC takes responsibility for my navigation and terrain clearance, shouldn't they also be responsibly for speed (i.e. "decrease speed to 200 knots")?

For instance let’s say I am coming into APA from the north, I know exactly when I leave the Denver's Class B airspace to go beneath it, but I did not want to slow down yet on this beautiful VMC day because Falcon Capt is on a left downwind to follow me! Since I am technically still on a vector and not yet cleared a visual, wouldn't it be ATC's responsibility to slow me to 200 knots?

501261 said:
Not really what I was asking regarding knowing my position. I guess I should have phased it, "Can I exceed the 200 knot speed limit below Class B if on a radar vector and ATC has not given me a speed reduction?"

It is the Pilot's responsibility to know when he is under the Class B and it is also the Pilot's responsibility to reduce speed to 200 kias or less when below the class B airspace...

14 CFR Part 91.117(c) - No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

My question is how am I supposed to know when I'm beneath Class B, if I'm on a radar vector?

Tune in the VOR that the TCA is centered on & keep track of your radial/dme off of it, which will tell you which segment of the wedding cake you're in. Adjust speed accordingly.

For instance let’s say I am coming into APA from the north, I know exactly when I leave the Denver's Class B airspace to go beneath it, but I did not want to slow down yet

Knowing that you're under the Class B, the FARs say it is YOUR responsibility to slow down, and no the controllers won't advise you to, vectors or not. They may or may not care (which could be a story on the "I've never..." thread), but this is the wrong excuse to use when you just want to stay fast below a TCA.

The VOR, DME, and Class B chart give you all the tools you need.

I have heard a few cases recently where pilots were asked, "Lear 0GP, Say Airspeed." And in those cases, the pilots had better say, "200." I've heard there have been some crackdowns on this recently, at least around the Chicago Class B.

Saving that 3 minutes is not worth risking my certificate.

JetPilot500

Under the terminal tab of your Jepp book #1, You will find Class B charts for every Class B airport in the US. If you are flying to a Class B satellite airport, pull this chart out during cruise to familiarize yourself with it. During your descent, set up the VOR on the PNF's side and slow accordingly.

No interuption of ATC flow should be a concern. The controllers EXPECT you to slow down prior to entering the underlying airspace, in just the same way they expect your ROC to decrease after passing 10,000 in the climb.

Latest resources

Back