• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest submits proposal to acquire Frontier Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think any F9 pilots wants to bump a WN pilot and take their earned seniority. There's 5000+ WN pilots and 600+ F9 pilots, really within the big picture how much is someone going to lose if there is some type of integration to save a fellow pilot from ending up in the streets... Nothing monumental. If I were on the flip side, I'd be happy to give a little to help a fellow pilot out. I understand the selfishness of pilots, and the mememe philosophy. I personally just want a damn job, preferably WN vs. the later. I've been on the street for a while and its UGLY as heII out there, its a flippin nightmare. Honestly, putting applications in at some BS retail crap... they look at your application and literally laugh... Hmmm, your an airline pilot with over 10K of flight time and your applying here? How long do you plan on being here? Where do you see yourself in 5 years... OMG, are you kidding me; for a $10/hr job! If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd all understand where the F9 guys are coming from. No one is asking for the world, their being bought out and like most professionals, would like to carry over into the other company... not left to rot on the street. The outcome from that would be devastating in this environment: Alcoholism, drugs, phycological issues, family problems. I hope WN and FAPA can come to some conclusion on how to preserve jobs with the local Denver employees. I feel Denver and Colorado will keep a close eye on these issues of unemployment and how WN handles it. It is saving the local airline, but at what cost to the resources that matter the most: human beings and their survival.

I'm sure you do. That's why the F9 guys are screwed!

Just a ray of sunshine. You obviously got hosed on the ATA deal. I would probably be pissed too, however, I don't think you should call doom and gloom just yet for the f9 posse. Most of the guys/gals I have talked to at both companies are optimistic a mutually beneficial agreement can be reached.

I don't think any F9 pilots wants to bump a WN pilot and take their earned seniority. There's 5000+ WN pilots and 600+ F9 pilots, really within the big picture how much is someone going to lose if there is some type of integration to save a fellow pilot from ending up in the streets... Nothing monumental. If I were on the flip side, I'd be happy to give a little to help a fellow pilot out. I understand the selfishness of pilots, and the mememe philosophy. I personally just want a damn job, preferably WN vs. the later. I've been on the street for a while and its UGLY as heII out there, its a flippin nightmare. Honestly, putting applications in at some BS retail crap... they look at your application and literally laugh... Hmmm, your an airline pilot with over 10K of flight time and your applying here? How long do you plan on being here? Where do you see yourself in 5 years... OMG, are you kidding me; for a $10/hr job! If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd all understand where the F9 guys are coming from. No one is asking for the world, their being bought out and like most professionals, would like to carry over into the other company... not left to rot on the street. The outcome from that would be devastating in this environment: Alcoholism, drugs, phycological issues, family problems. I hope WN and FAPA can come to some conclusion on how to preserve jobs with the local Denver employees. I feel Denver and Colorado will keep a close eye on these issues of unemployment and how WN handles it. It is saving the local airline, but at what cost to the resources that matter the most: human beings and their survival.

Nice post. It puts it all in perspective. All of this will work itself out. Best wishes.

Look out boys

Or Southwest can take over running F9 , keep it separate while installing one of their former executives to run the place for while. Then they get all info they need from the inside , dismantle F9 while handing over money making routes to WN, and blocking potential competition,all the while they look like the white knight. Then in the end F9 fails and closes the doors .
All employees are left standing in the morning with out jobs .

Think it won't/can't happen? well they did that once already.

Just a ray of sunshine. You obviously got hosed on the ATA deal. I would probably be pissed too, however, I don't think you should call doom and gloom just yet for the f9 posse. Most of the guys/gals I have talked to at both companies are optimistic a mutually beneficial agreement can be reached.

I was a fool. I believed.....

ATA had a "lot of good people" too. Global operations. ETOPS on everything. MNPS for NAT ops. on the B737 approved less than two months prior. An eminent international codeshare with ATA. John Dennison told us to hang on. Some AF general on the World BOD told our union directly that HK was directly involved and influential in MP's purchase of WAH. All BS.

I really wasn't pissed at SWA. Their loss. They'd be going to Europe as well as the rest of the Americas by now. Which means they'd probably have the contract they wanted now, too.

I think one of the biggest reasons it never happened, as we were told by SWAPA leadership, was ALPA. SWAPA and GK wanted nothing to do with ALPA. FAPA? Please. ATA/ALPA blew, but it was 1100 strong :rolleyes: in 2004 when this all came down. FAPA can't afford to fight it. Whatever it is.

I'm not bitter anymore, just tired of watching the fools in this industry. Everywhere, here, on all sides. I'm a student of history. I've moved on. Probably won't ever fly commercially again, not to say that I'm not looking.:D

Good luck. Don't be a sucker.

The law says that if one airline buys more than 50% of the assets of another, there will be a seniority integration. How do you think re-interviewing to make sure you meet Southwest's vaunted culture fits in here? I think Southwest management made the decision that Frontier pilots would fit in when they made the offer to buy.

Good luck. Don't be a sucker.[/QUOTE]

I understand your pessimism. I think you will not see FAPA fighting SWAPA as much as ALPA did. FAPA and F9 management had a very strong relationship, not saying your union didn't, but they are just going to be looking to keep their jobs somehow more than anything. They don't have much to bargain with if this goes through. Hopefully it works out, I am cautiously optimistic for F9.

The law says that if one airline buys more than 50% of the assets of another, there will be a seniority integration. How do you think re-interviewing to make sure you meet Southwest's vaunted culture fits in here? I think Southwest management made the decision that Frontier pilots would fit in when they made the offer to buy.

All true , I think this would be the first time this law would be used...

Not if they keep the companies separate.

The WARN act was supposed to protect us, too. Yeah, right.

Latest resources

Back