• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think alot of the joking including my previous post was made prior to realizing there was a fatalitity. Originally, the news made it sound like broken bones were the extent of the injuries in the vehicles. Very unfortunate situation indeed. The Burbank accident had some funny pictures with the gas station and all and with everyone okay, was a little comical. This accident has turned into tragedy. Sometimes heaven calls early.

AlabamaMan!! said:
God be with all those involved.

I'm not saying that maybe tonight is the best time to ask, but I dont think asking about contaminated runway procedures is showing "no class". Discussions involving safety issues like this help people become more safety conscious, and it gives others a chance to learn something maybe they didnt know.

Thank you. This is a board for pilots to discuss events, situations, procedures, sometimes in light of a tragic event. Anyone who doesn't want to learn something to make themselves safer is not meeting the definition of professional. I have a huge incentive to not repeat those circumstances, and was asking a question to all of you about how airline numbers are handled. I am a frequent passenger of your's after all, and do want to know. I also have a serious doubt about a Boeing's being able to meet the required length under those circumstances, and discussing this on a pilot board is 100% appropriate. Thanks to those who helped answer this for me by PM, and to those that take offense at the question, I appologize. I hope that the answer to that landing is not what I suspect. I know too many 91/135 operators who ignore contaminated runway charts as it is, and really do hope for better from the 121 operators.

Viffer said:
I know too many 91/135 operators who ignore contaminated runway charts as it is, and really do hope for better from the 121 operators.

I don't know where you aviate, but if this is true, maybe you need to upgrade your circle of acqaintances . . . . when I flew 135, part of my approach brief always included the required runway and runway available.

Also, 121 operators don't use "contaminated runway charts", at least we don't where I work. The equation is reversed ie they tell you what your max weight for landing can be, with corrections for MEL's or things like EAI . . . they don't give actual runway length . . . . although that info is available in the AOM.

Viffer,
Any landing made with less than 300 and 3/4 wet landing #'s must be used.This increases the landing distance required by a factor of x over dry landing distance's.I forget what the # is because we use wet for every landing except by request of dispatch or load.I've been asked once in my 16 yrs as a capt to make a dry landing and that was on a 727 into MDW. In addition runway condition reports must be used.Braking action reports are giving as either good,fair,poor, nil as reported by other A/C or a # from a device mounted on a truck that the airport authority would use to check the runway. Low #'s or nil closes the R/W till improvements have been made.(plowed sanding)Some airlines have other constraints that they put in their FOM that may restrict landing on R/W's with less than good braking.Such as no tailwind or lower xwind limits.

Last edited:
I think that number is 15%, at least at our airline for landings less than 4000RVR or less than 3/4 mile vis. Our airline now requires us to conduct monitored approaches under these circumstances so that we don't have to take that 15% hit on the landing distance. Something about pilots tend to look up at minumums and naturally tend to go high on the glide when transitioning from instruments to visual references when landing in low vis.

I haven't bothered to read all ten pages of this topic but this is a tragic accident. Midway is a tough landing in all but the best weather conditions. The fact that this doesn't happen more often is a miracle in it's own right. Let's not play MMQB here, the media is already running away with that. (I wanted to punch Miles O'Brian and his expertise in the face already a couple times this AM).

Last edited:
My family's hearts and prayers go out to the families of the injured and dead. It amazes me that some here make light of this situation. Most, if not all here give up many holidays and special events to work and provide for our wives/husbands and especially our little ones. Yesterday someone lost their child in a tragedy that NONE of us know the cause. Stop and think for a second if you were that child’s family, or even the family of one of the SWA pilots. There lives have changed forever in a split second. The holiday season/spirit may be gone forever for these individuals. And here some of you sit and make light. For any of you (E120ASA, Hoke) I hope for your sake you don't have kids and that you guys are Sky Gods, because the Karma train is headed your way and that is one bullet you just can't get out of the way of!

To Admin or moderators: Another board (non-aviation) I belong to from time to time, when the situation warrants, takes a collection and delivers it to special people in need. If the family of the child can be determined and you are willing to, I'd like to donate to a Christmas fund for this family. After all funds are collected a check in the name of Flightinfo.com could be sent to this family. We have two weeks to get this together if you would so choose.

Prayers to all those involved.

Baja

Fly2Scuba said:
I think alot of the joking including my previous post was made prior to realizing there was a fatalitity. Originally, the news made it sound like broken bones were the extent of the injuries in the vehicles. Very unfortunate situation indeed. The Burbank accident had some funny pictures with the gas station and all and with everyone okay, was a little comical. This accident has turned into tragedy. Sometimes heaven calls early.

Why is it okay to make fun of an accident when there is no fatality? I think we have answered the blue/white coller questions.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back