Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
I think most SWA pilots would like to answer many of the questions here, but given the nature of the incident and the anonymity, or possible lack thereof, of this board, and the possibility of a person gathering information for improper use, most would rather not comment as directed per our company policy. It is impossible to know if something said here could end up in some type of press material or used for other means. Many Aviation message boards are talked about in the press, and I would just like to go on record with a "no comment". Thanks for your concern and thoughts for those involved.

I respect your SOP's and can understand your statement. Can you just tell me do you guys use Auto-Brakes?

vetteracer said:
Get real, 6 knot tailwind, and you are going to ask for the opposing ILS, good luck, fall in line, or go hold.

Mark

For the record I agree with everything you're saying except this.

I've been the guy that asked for the opposing at a pretty busy airport before and quickly found that it only takes one pilot to refuse it and they simply just move all of the operations over. I'm sorry, but it is your job as a professional pilot to make these types of decisions. Sometimes it won't make you popular.

h25b said:
For the record I agree with everything you're saying except this.

I've been the guy that asked for the opposing at a pretty busy airport before and quickly found that it only takes one pilot to refuse it and they simply just move all of the operations over. I'm sorry, but it is your job as a professional pilot to make these types of decisions. Sometimes it won't make you popular.

Well said.

E120ASA said:
you get what you pay for.

Why don't you Pm me and tell me who you are so I can tell you to your face in front of everyone in the crew lounge what to total and complete f888you are. PLEASE! It is a$$holes like you, senior or junior, it doesn't matter, that make so-called "professional pilots" look like cry-babies that didn't get there way. If that had been my child I can guarantee you I would track your low-life a$$ down and have little 'chat' with you..........

This POS does not represent the other crewmembers at ASA.

Moderator reviewed---edited language, but otherwise well deserved verbal thrasing in response to an ignorant post. Let's not blatantly threaten each other futher, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
WMAQ-TV—Chicago, IL

CHICAGO - A 6-year-old boy was killed when a jetliner trying to land in heavy snow slid into a busy street, hitting one vehicle and pinning another beneath it.
Two passengers on the Boeing 737 suffered minor injuries, and eight people in the two vehicles outside Midway International Airport were hurt in the incident, authorities said. Five people were in one vehicle, four in the other.
The child, a 6-year-old boy, was dead on arrival at Advocate Christ Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Deborah Song said. Two adults and two other children were at the hospital, their conditions ranging from serious to good, she said.
A nursing supervisor at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park said an 8-year-old girl was being treated there late Thursday night.
Midway Airport reopened at about 6 a.m. Friday, NBC5 reported.
Passenger Mike Abate, 35, of suburban Milwaukee said after the landing he saw a father carrying an injured child and other people being taken away in an ambulance. "That was the toughest part. We were safe on the plane, but the toughest part was to realize that someone was under the belly of the plane," Abate said.
The Southwest Airlines 737 skidded through a fence at the southwest corner of the airport, coming to rest on Central Avenue near 55th Street. At least one car was struck by the plane and was lodged under the aircraft's front end. The incident occurred at approximately 7:20 p.m. The plane will remain at that intersection overnight, NBC5's Phil Rogers reported.
The plane was apparently unable to stop in the heavy snow. At the time the accident happened, the winds were blowing out of the east, and so the airplane had a tailwind, which is not ideal for landing conditions, Rogers reported. At the time the accident occurred, visibility was almost zero for the people in the control tower, which is not an unusual situation, Rogers reported. Controllers didn't know that the plane had slid off the runway until the pilot radioed them to tell the tower.
At a news conference in Dallas, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the jetliner's captain had been flying for about a decade and the first officer had about 2½ years' experience. He did not name them.
Southwest flies an all-737 fleet with more than 400 aircraft.
National Transportation Safety Board and FAA officials from Washington were on the way to Chicago to investigate.
Larry Langford, spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department, said a second vehicle was also involved in the accident, but appeared to be off to the side of the road.
Langford reported that passengers from the plane were taken off and brought to warming buses by 7:50 p.m.
A witness told NBC5 that the entire jet went through the fence and onto the roadway.
A passenger aboard the plane, identified as "Katie," told NBC5 that everyone on the plane was calm during the ordeal.
"We were just landing; we were in a holding pattern because there was a lot of snow on the runway," she said. "It was a little bit rough, but it was nothing out of the ordinary ... it got really bumpy and then we heard a crashing sound, and the next thing I knew, it looked like we were in the middle of an intersection."
"We were in line for an approach with other planes," said another passenger. "They landed first, and I guess ice had built up on the runway. We came in, we landed, we ran out of runway and hit the wall."
Rogers reported that the runway was more a mile long, which is usually more than enough runway to land a plane. The braking action, however, was described as being fair to good, which would have been transmitted to the pilots, Rogers reported.
The aircraft was identified as Southwest Flight 1248, arriving in Chicago from Baltimore with 98 passengers onboard.
Firefighters were assisting people who might have been injured on the street, she said, and NBC5 learned that emergency crews were removing a victim from the passenger's side of a car involved in the collision.
Langford said that there was no fire involved in the collision, although there was a small fuel leak. That leak, he said, was quickly contained.
Langford said that 55th Street will be shut down for a long while as the accident is investigated.
Midway was closed until further notice as of 9 p.m., Abrams said. But the FAA Web site said the airport would reopen at 6 a.m. Friday.
The accident occurred 33 years to the day after a crash at Midway that killed 45 people, two of them on the ground.
In that crash, the pilot of United Airlines Flight 533 was instructed by the control tower to execute a "missed approach" pattern. The pilot applied full power to go around for another landing attempt.
A little more than a mile from the airport, the airliner struck tree branches, then hit the roofs of a number of neighborhood bungalows before plowing into a home, bursting into flames. Eighteen passengers survived.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10388519/from/RL.1/

Anyone wondering whats wrong with this profession just needs to read this thread! What is wrong with some of you guys! I don't care what airline crashed, one did. A child lost his life and his parents have lost thier son, but certain a-holes still can't see the big picture. What are you here for in life? I don't judge someone by the company they work for, I really don't care, they are human and as an Americain I have compassion and respect for all! I was'nt there, I don't know what happened, time will tell. Southwest is an ALPA carrier, the majority, myself included are ALPA members, therefore the pilots are my brothers. Stop the BS I myself had a mishap many years ago. You feel like crap and second guess your ability. Sitting in front of your computer with chestnuts roasting on an openfire, drinking eggnog does not make you an expert on this accident, yet some moan about this guy or that guy saying something you don't agree with, how do you know!! Ever notice when your flying, anytime you see guys landing,taxing, or taking off you say look at this dumba$$! Everyone needs to remember how precious life is, this kid was riding in a car and is now dead! What peoples opinion are about this just seems small. Go hug your wife and kids, tell them you love them and be thankful they don't judge and critizie your every word like most pilots do to thier "Brothers"! Imangine how $hity a world that would be if they did! Merry Xmas all, RIP to the young boy who flew west way to early!

sluminginpit said:
Anyone wondering whats wrong with this profession just needs to read this thread! What is wrong with some of you guys! I don't care what airline crashed, one did. A child lost his life and his parents have lost thier son, but certain a-holes still can't see the big picture. What are you here for in life? I don't judge someone by the company they work for, I really don't care, they are human and as an Americain I have compassion and respect for all! I was'nt there, I don't know what happened, time will tell. Southwest is an ALPA carrier, the majority, myself included are ALPA members, therefore the pilots are my brothers. Stop the BS I myself had a mishap many years ago. You feel like crap and second guess your ability. Sitting in front of your computer with chestnuts roasting on an openfire, drinking eggnog does not make you an expert on this accident, yet some moan about this guy or that guy saying something you don't agree with, how do you know!! Ever notice when your flying, anytime you see guys landing,taxing, or taking off you say look at this dumba$$! Everyone needs to remember how precious life is, this kid was riding in a car and is now dead! What peoples opinion are about this just seems small. Go hug your wife and kids, tell them you love them and be thankful they don't judge and critizie your every word like most pilots do to thier "Brothers"! Imangine how $hity a world that would be if they did! Merry Xmas all, RIP to the young boy who flew west way to early!

Ditto,

:)

BTW, SWA is not ALPA, They are SWAPA, an independent but completely recognized union.

Dropping my kids off at school this morning, listening to the news... our local aviation expert reporter was discussing the incident.

Female: "The roads are icy right now. Don't they plow and salt the runways? Why couldn't he stop?"

Aviation Expert: "Weelll, they usually plow the runway, but they don't have to."

Female: "Are you saying they don't need to plow? How does the airplane stop?"

Aviation Expert: "Large Jets don't really use their wheels to stop, the engines' reverse thrust does all the work."

Female: "Ohhhh" :rolleyes:

Prayers for the loss of life. :(

Latest resources

Back