Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T45Flyer said:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]God Bless the little child that was lost tonite. It does show that our actions effect many others and I pray that this was truly an accident and not poor judgment/gross pilot error.

I am truly sad.
[/FONT]

I couldnt agree more. I am sorry at the loss of a child or anyone for that matter.

MAGNUM!! said:
Nice. Don't tell anyone your name when you apply at SWA. Tool.

I agree. That could have happened to any one of us out there. E120ASA, be a little more repsectful here!

Last edited:
Sorry, but ASA idiot looked at a tragedy as a key time to voice his opinion on pretty much a political/business issue. In his mind, LCC=unsafe. This from a guy flying for ASA?? No disrepect intended to regionals, but methinks this particular ASA pilot would forget his politics and jump at a chance to fly for SWA.

First...all of our prayers and thoughts should be with family of the child lost tonight, and those of the crew and customers onboard the aircraft, and all those involved. (And to all at Southwest Airlines)
Second...as we all know, accidents are a continuing education...and with the winter season upon us, we should all be a bit more diligent during these types of operations, particularly at challenging airports like MDW. (Not placing blame anywhere)
Third...I agree with several others here tonight...STOP THE CHEAP SHOTS!!!

Like Mom always said...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all...

Question for all of you 121 and SWA guys. How do you determine your minimum required runway lengths with contaminated runway conditions? This is not anything but an honest question. I fly under 91 and 135, in small mid size and large business jets and none that I have flown, could possibly meet the required length of 31C under those conditions, much less with 5 kts tailwind. I am curious about how 121 ops determine their landing runway lengths when it's not clear and dry.

Well we don't want his ass. He can go ****himself. So can the rest of you folks that have taken the time on this board to take cheap shots at Southwest.

This a a very sad day.. for all of us at SWA.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets wait till we get the full facts before we hang the flight crew.

with THAT said, I see on the 31-C approach plate a notation that "landing length available" is 5826 feet

http://myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00081ILD31C.PDF

obviously, SWA has been into KMDW before, and we have the Captain, the CP, and Dispatch all involved in flight planning decisions.

With snow and ice/moisture/etc and less than optimal viz (albeit "legal"), I sure would have liked another 1000 feet of pavement to play with given the conditions

Good luck to all and prayers to the injured/deceased

Last edited:
SWA/FO said:
Well we don't want his ass. He can go **** himself. So can the rest of you folks that have taken the time on this board to take cheap shots at Southwest.

You tell 'em bro. My Guard unit has two SWA guys who love the place...and their opinion is good enough for me. Nobody knows what exactly happened tonight, and all those variables that go into something like this can happen to each of us at any time.

I think most SWA pilots would like to answer many of the questions here, but given the nature of the incident and the anonymity, or possible lack thereof, of this board, and the possibility of a person gathering information for improper use, most would rather not comment as directed per our company policy. It is impossible to know if something said here could end up in some type of press material or used for other means. Many Aviation message boards are talked about in the press, and I would just like to go on record with a "no comment". Thanks for your concern and thoughts for those involved.

SWA/FO said:
Well we don't want his ass. He can go **** himself. So can the rest of you folks that have taken the time on this board to take cheap shots at Southwest.

So, do your SOP's have a provision for landing on a contaminated runway with a tailwind?

Latest resources

Back