Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NAA Pilot said:
"The Southwest Airlines plane that slid off the end of a runway here on Thursday night, killing a 6-year-old boy in a car, apparently touched down closer to the end of the runway than normal on a snowy night,...."

Closer to *which* end??????

Gorilla said:
You are absolutely correct, and my statement was too simplistic. On every jet I've been on, the manufacturer recommends continuous and steady pressure as heating the brakes less and importantly causing less wear and tear.

This is true if you are using carbon brakes. Steel brakes are just the opposite. I realize that most if not of todays new airplanes have carbon brakes, but there are older aircraft running around with steel. i.e., DAL B767-200 come to mind. I am sure there are other classics out there with steel, in lieu of carbon.

1BigRodeo said:
I stood in eight inches of snow on the ramp at MDW when that boy died that night. I have a son. My tears froze on my face. My heart goes out to that family and those pilots.

On News Coverage:
Those who know dont say;
Those who say dont know

On the flaming in here:
Professionals always will recognize the fragile environment we operate in. The paint on the plane is irrellevant, as we have seen all the majors paint in the videos. We are human, planes are machines. There will always be those who have, and those who will. Put down the stones, theyre your windows youre going to break.

Well said........

Latest resources

Back