Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
I think most SWA pilots would like to answer many of the questions here, but given the nature of the incident and the anonymity, or possible lack thereof, of this board, and the possibility of a person gathering information for improper use, most would rather not comment as directed per our company policy. It is impossible to know if something said here could end up in some type of press material or used for other means. Many Aviation message boards are talked about in the press, and I would just like to go on record with a "no comment". Thanks for your concern and thoughts for those involved.

Hahahaha...if a guy shuts the f up in woods and nobody notices, did he really shut the f up.

One "no comment" registered.

ivauir said:
You guys don't really expect us to discuss our procedures at this time do you? Please stop trying to bait us.
I appreciate the MANY folks who have shown class tonight.

It's not actually baiting if I already know the answer. It was however a means to point out to the hysterical Mr. Krabs that raising a legitimate question does not a cheap shot make.

AlabamaMan!! said:
God be with all those involved.

I'm not saying that maybe tonight is the best time to ask, but I dont think asking about contaminated runway procedures is showing "no class". Discussions involving safety issues like this help people become more safety conscious, and it gives others a chance to learn something maybe they didnt know.
prosecutors will subpoeana the airline manual...it's not top secret information what the "proceedures" will be. Lawyers for the plantiffs of civil suits will subpoena the manual as well.

Talk about a "Brother hood of Pilots"

I have been in and out of midway in small TP and pistons, and in the winter, it is no fun, let alone for a jet.

Get real, 6 knot tailwind, and you are going to ask for the opposing ILS, good luck, fall in line, or go hold.

250 to the marker, that sound about right, for anyone. When the weather was down, in a 402 I was told to hold my speed or break off the approach, flaps and gear came down 500 AGL on the ILS.

Anit skid failure, Reverser failure, nobody knows.

In any event, after touch down, spoilers up, if there was a problem, IMO I am not sure if you would have the length to spool up and go-around. By the time he knew he was screwed, it was to late. Matter of fact, I bet had he tried to take it airborne again, it may have been a total loss.

God speed to all involved, and the PF will live with that childs death the rest of his life, that is a punishment far greater then one can imagine.

Mark

Hoke said:
People, stop it with the cheap shots already. This could have been a very serious accident, so kudos to the crew and may God bless

Hoke:
Please come to Milwaukee so I can kick you in the balls for taking up twenty posts to get out one sentence.
Happy Holidays,
SeaLord

FN FAL said:
prosecutors will subpoeana the airline manual...it's not top secret information what the "proceedures" will be. Lawyers for the plantiffs of civil suits will subpoena the manual as well.

Guys like this and posts like this make me think of major NETWORK anchor aids that lurk on these forums looking for a break. They definitely aren't line pilots, if you ask me.

For you pilot types, a couple of our boys are hurting tonight, no doubt about it.

Refrain from giving these clowns an inch.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Captain made the best decision with all the information given to him. God bless all those involved... especially the boy and his family. I don't care what anybody says... it could have happened to any of us. If mistakes were made, then we learn from them and move on. Sometimes you can do everything right, though, and mother nature and/or the "aviation gods" just aren't nice to you. Everyone stay safe out there... especially in this weather!

E120ASA said:
you get what you pay for.

I've seen many wrong and disrepectful remarks on this board, but your's d-head, takes the cake! I hope you get what you deserve! In my book that would be no job and an a$$-kicking!

God bless the boy and the family, and the crew. MDW is challenging in good conditions!

islandhopper said:
I also heard that this thread on flightinfo had rapidly degenerated by the wanna-be crowd typical of flightinfo-ers these days. :angryfire

Well allow me just one post here since I have been hanging out over at the "other" message board. All you idiots trashing SWA can KISS MY ASS! You little pricks dont know sh!t...

(This is why I dont use this board anymore, too many wanna-bes that dont know sh!t)

Hey island hopper....please do keep your two cents worth and stay on that "other" message board. I think everyone here realizes that this was an awful accident and that this could happen to anyone. I think it is safe to say (based on everyones thoughts here) that everyones prayers are with the SWA crew, passengers, and especially the little boy and his family. Two comments here have been totally disrespectful...the "get what you pay for thing," and SWAFO cheap use of vulgarity and now yours. Everyone else is not trashing SWA and we are not idiots/pricks as you say. You dont have much class yourself. If you cant be respectful of others, go find your little aloha island and keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back