• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Nose Gear Collapse LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know I don't have all te facts but, they reported a "possible nose gear problem" and still landed on a 7000 ft runway surrounded by water!

Why would they need a longer runway? Maybe I'm way off base but I would think a nose gear collapsing would likely decrease your stopping distance, not lead to an overrun.

Any one consider that they finally made gear speed to late to get the gear down and locked before touchdown?

I think you logged into a pilot's forum by mistake.

Why would they need a longer runway? Maybe I'm way off base but I would think a nose gear collapsing would likely decrease your stopping distance, not lead to an overrun.

I'm not sure about the 73, but in the airplane I operate, when landing with the nose gear in an unsafe condition, you trim to keep the nose wheel off until slowed at touchdown and then slowly lower the nose wheel while the elevator still has effectiveness after touchdown. To comply with the checklist, I'd prefer the longest runway. This is assuming of course you knew about it in advance.

This could have been tragic, and it sounds like the crew did a good job when there was no warning. Hey, this is what we get paid for...The unexpected.
This could be any one of us that posts here. Thank God nobody was hurt seriously.

Unless the PF caused this accident by a 3 point landing and broke the nose gear off?

The nose landing gear of a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700 collapsed up and into the forward fuselage during a 22 July accident on landing at LaGuardia Airport, the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) says.
The agency's first statement from the scene of the crash of Flight 345 also notes that the collapsed gear damaged the electrical equipment bay located beneath the flight deck.

http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/LASJayhawk/media/SW737_zps855914d8.jpg.html

Inside Cabin (Pax) Video looks like pretty high rate of descent that wasn't quite arrested before touchdown? Full Summertime Load, Hot/High Density Altitude at Sea Level looks pretty humid at time of incident? Guessing there will be pretty good indications of similar vertical stresses in Main Wheel Wells, too? I hate it for the crew. Could be any of us; getting just behind the power curve at just the wrong time?

100-1/2

Latest resources

Back