• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Nose Gear Collapse LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just saw a picture of the avionics bay. The gear was literally driven straight up into it. This was no failure of the nose gear. Between the eyewitness account and the pics that are coming out it sure looks like they pranged it on. Now maybe there was something else going on (run away trim etc.) that we don't know about. I am sure we will know soon enough.

I just saw a picture of the avionics bay. The gear was literally driven straight up into it. This was no failure of the nose gear. Between the eyewitness account and the pics that are coming out it sure looks like they pranged it on. Now maybe there was something else going on (run away trim etc.) that we don't know about. I am sure we will know soon enough.

This picture, here:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-ntsb-landing-gear-20130723,0,6305237.story

At least we know the NO TR and No Nosewheel gear broken off landing distance is, 2175ft.

:laugh: Awesome. Bet the engineers have been laying awake at night about that data since the sixties.

All kidding aside, this could happen to any of us. We get very comfortable wrestling with 130,000 (plus or minus) pounds of aluminum and winning the match, but every now and then, someone loses. We are in control most of the time, until we're not, and if you think it can't happen to you, well....

There was a bright light that flashed in the pilot flying's eyes...oh wait,that has already been used.

All kidding aside, this could happen to any of us.

Tanker, I think you're over simplifying this with that comment. One similarity between Asiana and this WN accident is that they both warranted a go-around and they both continued to the crash. I think that all air carriers (at least in this country) flight ops policy is that "go-arounds are free". If you are on an approach that warrants a miss, and you continue and there's an accident I would not call it a "this could happen to any of us" thing.

Latest resources

Back