• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Line on Credit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're comparing apples to coconuts, of course, because the CEOs of those carriers today are not the CEOs of those carriers then. By going back to 2004, you can measure Gary's effectiveness, or lack thereof, but not someone like Richard Anderson, because he wasn't running Delta at the time.
No, in 2004 Anderson wasn't running Delta, he was running Northwest racking up losses to the tune of $2 billion and 14,000 jobs lost. Kelly however has been at SWA since 1986. He has acted as controller, executive VP of finance and C.F.O. before becoming CEO. If you don't believe he was helping navigate the company during his tenure before becoming CEO, you don't understand what a CFO does. The CFO is responsible for the company's financial condition, so he must decide how to invest the company's money. A good CFO is able to project the long-term financial picture of the company and the company thrives or perishes based on his analyses.

Yes, that Richard Anderson. The one who bailed out for UHC because he didn't feel that bankruptcy was the right move.
You can "luv" your airline without feeling the need to defend the poor performance of your CEO. He's not your best buddy, you know.
Are you really that naive? You don't think that Northwest and Delta entering bankruptcy literally within hours of each other was not a coordinated move. You don't think it was all in the plan that Anderson would cut out prior to bankruptcy so as not to get his hands dirty during the process only to join the Delta Board of Directors as the sole outside director with previous day-to-day experience as an airline manager before being named as CEO? Your powers of deduction are stunning!

Of course Kelly is not my buddy, other than a passing handshake, I haven't even met the man. I don't need to defend him or chastise him because his record steering the largest domestic airline speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I thought the thread was Southwest Line of Credit - how did it develop into a rant on AT pilots and how terrible they got treated - there is nothing like feeding the appetites of the SWA detractors and airing the views of a few disgruntled pilots

PCL = please don't come to Southwest. I would be very happy if you found something else to do. I wish you good luck with your Real Estate career.

Furlough was 2008. Arguably the dumbest decision our BMT made. It lasted about 5 months.

Ok- I got the year wrong- your company took hostages that your pilot group was powerless to stop, didn't have the relationship to stop, and then you come here and criticize SWA for how they treat you??

My point is not diminished.

Ok- I got the year wrong- your company took hostages that your pilot group was powerless to stop, didn't have the relationship to stop, and then you come here and criticize SWA for how they treat you??

My point is not diminished.

So.... it's The AT pilots fault that their management was draconian and abusive. Do you volunteer at a women's shelter by chance?

(Also to be fair; not all AT management was bad. Basically just the VP's involved with labor. SK, LB and JT . We had some very talented folks too and most of them found good jobs after the SWA/AT deal.)

Last edited:
PCL = please don't come to Southwest. I would be very happy if you found something else to do. I wish you good luck with your Real Estate career.

Don't knock Real Estate . . . I probably made more in Real Estate last year than half of your pilots made flying airplanes. . . . Although much of that work was done by the charming and delightful Mrs. Webb. ;)

Hell, I'd do it full time, if I didn't enjoy flying airplanes and telling lies on the radio so much. . . . . plus swilling beers with y'all on the layovers. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back