Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Holy crap it has gotten vicious here.

Just calling BS on Dicko's assumptions.

I'm ready to move on, but he's still pissed about losing his CA seat. And I understand that. To be honest, I never thought that should have happened. AAI MEC helped play into that happening, unfortunately.

Again....it's over.

Just calling BS on Dicko's assumptions.

I'm ready to move on, but he's still pissed about losing his CA seat. And I understand that. To be honest, I never thought that should have happened. AAI MEC helped play into that happening, unfortunately.

Again....it's over.

Two problems with your assumptions. Number 1......you come across as SWA is some special airline that is superior to AirTran. News flash, we all work for airlines that have periods of doing well and others not so well. SWA has had a few good years making industry standard pay and remaining profitable. Most of their time they compensated their pilots less to get ahead. AirTran certainly had some battles with less enlightened management, but the reality is they may well have prospered while SWA entered a period of stagnation had the merger not happened. Who knows, but you were basically both very similar LCC carriers and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. So I am not SWA bashing, but SWA certainly is not some superior airline that AirTran should have felt honored to be screwed over, I mean bought by.

Number 2.... you guys keep saying "Hey, the merger happened, get over it"
Sorry dude, you can't make a business transaction that screws people and not expect some negative consequences. Any negative ramifications that happen to SWA because of the merger arrogance they displayed is deserved.

Last edited:
Oh, and I should add, it's not the fault of the AirTran pilots what happened. Gary Kelley played dirty pool, simple as that.

you guys keep saying "Hey, the merger happened, get over it"
Sorry dude, you can't make a business transaction that screws people and not expect some negative consequences. Any negative ramifications that happen to SWA because of the merger arrogance they displayed is deserved.
Why, it happened at every other merger, why was SWA supposed to be different? Heck, based on the Usair debacle, this thing is going along swimmingly.:rolleyes:

Why, it happened at every other merger, why was SWA supposed to be different? Heck, based on the Usair debacle, this thing is going along swimmingly.:rolleyes:

Don't disagree at all. Mergers suck. Just don't do one and expect to not suffer the consequences. USAir.......that will never end. Even after the AA deal it simply will not end. It's my understanding that all it takes is one pilot to file a lawsuit and the SLI will be held up till it's settled. In other words that mess will go on forever.

The biggie though is the SWA folks who come across that SWA is somehow superior??? This is the airline industry and yes, we that are left have scored, but there is no guarantees going forward for any of us. You certainly could make a case that the AirTran could have popped while the SWA business model could be slowing. It can happen to anyone.

The biggie though is the SWA folks who come across that SWA is somehow superior??? This is the airline industry and yes, we that are left have scored, but there is no guarantees going forward for any of us. You certainly could make a case that the AirTran could have popped while the SWA business model could be slowing. It can happen to anyone.

Industry up's and down's? Sure.

The differences in both carriers was pretty stark on Sept 2010 Dan. Sorry to burst your bubble. In ANY metric you chose.

Even when SW wasn't paying top pay, those guys were rolling in stock options as the stock split every 3-6 months. Multi-millionaires...easily. That was the bargain from Herb. Skin in the game.

Again, stark differences to AAI. The post-aquistion 'AAI is equal spin' is BS, sorry. Good try though.

So in your world, we at Southwest would have had 600 or so apps in with Airtran? Answer honestly Dan.

The fact Dan, is that it IS over. I didn't tell anyone to 'get over it', that's a personal decision in the end.

Southwest is better then AirTran. We won! Get over it, You're lucky you are here. You made your bed and accepted it by voting over 80%. Leave!!! if you don't like it, thousands want your job.

If your didn't want to lose your Captain seat - you should have taken DEAL #1 and you would have had our pay 3 years sooner. I know, I know "its NOT about the money". BS!!!

Last edited:
Southwest is better then AirTran. We won! Get over it, You're lucky you are here. You made your bed and accepted it by voting over 80%. Leave!!! if you don't like it, thousands want your job.

If your didn't want to lose your Captain seat - you should have taken DEAL #1 and you would have had our pay 3 years sooner. I know, I know "its NOT about the money". BS!!!

Ah that good old warrior spirit. As I said, if SWA wants to grow that way, expect your little warrior spirit mantra to get diluted. You can't acquire an airline and treat them the way AirTran was treated and expect to get the full benefit of the transaction.

Latest resources

Back