• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Southwest announces four new routes from Newark

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

A Southwest Airlines 737 at a gate at Long Island's MacArthur Airport near Islip, N.Y.

CAPTION
By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

Southwest Airlines will beef up its presence in Newark Liberty this summer, adding four new nonstop routes on June 5. The carrier will fly three daily round-trip flights to Baltimore/Washington, three to Denver, two to Houston Hobby and two to Phoenix.

Southwest is not yet flying to Newark, but plans to inaugurate service there on March 27 with six daily round-trip flights to Chicago Midway and two to St. Louis. Once the June flights begin, Southwest will operate 18 daily departures from the New Jersey airport.

Southwest acquired 36 landing slots from United and Continental as part of their effort to win regulatory approval for their merger. A slot refers to a takeoff or landing, meaning 36 gives Southwest the option to add 18 daily round-trip flights. Newark is one of just a handful of U.S. airports where flight rights are restricted.

DEN, HOU, & PHX should do well but EWR-BWI.....Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh, that's gonna do exceptionally well. They might actualy get the last flight in sometime before the end of 2011.

Have fun with that! EWR the Sewark. Remember AT actually left EWR and sold the slots to CAL, but I guess now all of you can go back and enjoy it! You will really enjoy the arrival from the South, where NY App then gives you a 30 min tour of NJ at 180kts. But hey, YOU WANTED THOSE SLOTS, and NOW YOU GOT UM.

Regardless, YOU GUYS ARE FANTASICALLY COOL, and I MEAN THAT. Have a great one.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Is the General afraid he will be furloughed again when SWA kicks a little Delta Arse in ATL? I'm smelling a little fear from the boy.

With a convenient connection on to BDA, SJU, AUA, CUN, MBJ, or any of the big Florida cities. Sounds like a winner to me.

Not knocking the conection service, just the fact that the paxs will do better walking from EWR to BWI than flying. I don't see this route lasting very long. Anywhere is FL would be good but BWI?

And with this new service announcement, Southwest sadly announced the first flights in June from EWR to DEN, HOU, PHX, and BWI have been delayed due to weather and traffic.

Latest resources

Back