• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines pilot union activates its strike preparedness committee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What was it? Six months ago that PCL berated people for still posting about the SLI, but yet......

Here he is doing that exact thing. Why is that?

SWAPA and Gary?

I'm not sure that's who everyone blamed the most for their bitterness. It was probably the people that they actually sued over the whole debacle that they thought deserved the most blame. Uh,.... and that would be ALPA and you, wouldn't it, PCL?

Bubba

I was never sued. ALPA was, but only 7% of the pilot group joined that suit. The suit was thrown out on summary judgment about a month ago, and the judge determined that it was so frivolous that he ordered the plaintiffs to reimburse ALPA for its legal fees.

I actually don't blame Gary or SWAPA for the SLI result. As usual, redflyer has not the mental capacity to keep up with a rather uncomplicated conversation. We were discussing the bitterness and division that is evident in this thread, not the SLI. And no one is more to blame for that than Gary and SWAPA.

We were discussing the bitterness and division that is evident in this thread, not the SLI. And no one is more to blame for that than Gary and SWAPA.
I'm always curious when I hear the blame for the deal that was created and negotiated by SWA management should be placed squarely on the shoulders of SWAPA.

All four parties negotiated a process agreement that invited SWA management to the table. Exactly what legal action could have SWAPA or ALPA for that matter, taken to preclude SWA from making the offers that they subsequently made? Please be specific. Of course those offers could have been turned down, but that didn't happen. What exactly could anyone have done to prevent the offers other than specifically excluding them from being made via the process agreement?

I'm always curious when I hear the blame for the deal that was created and negotiated by SWA management should be placed squarely on the shoulders of SWAPA.

All four parties negotiated a process agreement that invited SWA management to the table. Exactly what legal action could have SWAPA or ALPA for that matter, taken to preclude SWA from making the offers that they subsequently made? Please be specific. Of course those offers could have been turned down, but that didn't happen. What exactly could anyone have done to prevent the offers other than specifically excluding them from being made via the process agreement?

This is a gross misrepresentation about what actually took place. SWAPA took unreasonable positions and made it clear to management that there would be hell to pay if they didn't get their way. Gary yielded to the bigger group and threatened the smaller group with the loss of their livelihoods if they didn't capitulate. SWAPA and Gary both share the blame for the feelings of bitterness that will last for many years. And yes, no matter what someone tells you to your face while he's trapped in a cockpit with you for days on end, that bitterness is there.

This is a gross misrepresentation about what actually took place. SWAPA took unreasonable positions and made it clear to management that there would be hell to pay if they didn't get their way. Gary yielded to the bigger group and threatened the smaller group with the loss of their livelihoods if they didn't capitulate. SWAPA and Gary both share the blame for the feelings of bitterness that will last for many years. And yes, no matter what someone tells you to your face while he's trapped in a cockpit with you for days on end, that bitterness is there.
I asked you what anyone could have done to prevent SWA from making the offers that THEY made. Stop the rhetoric and hyperbole and answer the question. Did anyone have the ability to stop SWA from making the offers they made and if not, why did the process agreement not preclude them from taking the control of the situation and dictating the terms that they did? Why didn't the brilliant legal scholars at the disposal of AT ALPA not see this coming? I know I was absolutely floored when I first heard an offer was proffered by SWA management and admit I absolutely never saw that coming, however I am not a lawyer practicing in the field of labor relations.

PCL
Who bought who ????, you were lucky you got a second offer to work at SWA and not pound the pavements, get over it and enjoy your new career at Walmart

I asked you what anyone could have done to prevent SWA from making the offers that THEY made.

It's a nonsensical question. Anyone can always make an offer. The real question is why management felt compelled to do so. And the answer is that they were worried about how SWAPA would react if a fair process was actually followed.

Why didn't the brilliant legal scholars at the disposal of AT ALPA not see this coming?

Our Merger Committee didn't have attorneys in the room when they were bargaining either the Process Agreement or the SLI. Yes, the MC was incompetent. No argument there.

It's a nonsensical question. Anyone can always make an offer. The real question is why management felt compelled to do so. And the answer is that they were worried about how SWAPA would react if a fair process was actually followed.

Our Merger Committee didn't have attorneys in the room when they were bargaining either the Process Agreement or the SLI. Yes, the MC was incompetent. No argument there.

It would have been very easy to put a clause in the PA which stated all bargaining for the SLI would be done exclusively by ALPA and SWAPA or an arbitrator.

I don't believe for a second that attorneys did not scrutinize the final drafts of the PA or the SLI.

Why did AT ALPA select a committee of incompetents (your words) to bargain what I can only assume was the most impactful agreement of most members careers?

It would have been very easy to put a clause in the PA which stated all bargaining for the SLI would be done exclusively by ALPA and SWAPA or an arbitrator.

Actually, it's not quite so simple. Because Allegheny-Mohawk includes management involvement, if a PA wasn't agreed upon by the parties that specifically excluded them, then it defaults to management being involved.

I don't believe for a second that attorneys did not scrutinize the final drafts of the PA or the SLI.

You would be shocked how things went on this side. Attorneys were ignored or even not consulted at all at times.

Why did AT ALPA select a committee of incompetents (your words) to bargain what I can only assume was the most impactful agreement of most members careers?

Politics. It's an ugly business.

That's a great idea you have--let bitterness decide your vote, to vote in something that hurts all Southwest pilots, including yourself. That'll sure teach somebody a lesson!

The majority of our list has voted to hurt us for at least the last decade. Sounds like he'll fit in perfectly around here! ;)

Latest resources

Back