• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some Delta/NWA route swaps......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think initially there are going to be a lot of DHs, with a DH to MSP for an initial layover, and then onto CDG etc. Same with the FNWA pilots, they will DH to ATL and layover downtown, and then fly to AMS or LGW etc. They will do that until the Fall, and then move people around I would guess.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That sounds reasonable, give everybody one more summer before a huge wave of training, let's enjoy it while we can.

If they really are moving Delta's 88's and 757's out of Atlanta, then they got to back fill with something other than RJ's (although they did just announce another 10 CRJ900's are coming to ATL). I'm guessing A320's and DC9's would be headed south ... probably what I'm really trying to figure out is what is the net effect on pilots' ability to hold the Atlanta base? Anyone know?

I'm guessing the DC9 would not go that senior in ATL :cool:

Last edited:
If they really are moving Delta's 88's and 757's out of Atlanta, then they got to back fill with something other than RJ's (although they did just announce another 10 CRJ900's are coming to ATL).

I'm guessing A320's and DC9's would be headed south ... probably what I'm really trying to figure out is what is the net effect on pilots' ability to hold the Atlanta base? Anyone know?

I don't think they will be moving 757s North, more likely MD88s. I can see DC9s coming into ATL, but not a base, rather just more flights through here. I see A330s and 744s having a base here, and 767ERs moving to SEA and MSP. I don't know if they would come from ATL or JFK, but there is bound to be some loss of positions if the A330s do replace some routes. I think the A320s will stay in MSP/DTW/MEM, but also set up shop in SLC---doing some Montana flying that we lost to the RJs (the last day of a 4 day trip might consist of LGA-MSP-BZN-SLC on an A319). The reason the MD88 or MD90s would go to MSP is because they can hit both coasts from there, whereas they cannot now from SLC.(there will also probably be some A330 flying from SLC--NRT, CDG, AMS) JFK will probably get some A330 flying too, and maybe MSP or DTW could get 777 flying, to replace the 744s going to ATL. SEA will get bigger as a base probably with the addition of 76ERs, and that will take some flying from JFK on those ERs, and be replaced with A330s. Most of this is speculation with some hints from certain people that may know what they are talking about... It will be interesting to see.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

The A330 and 744 will go predictably senior. The 767ER apparently does most of what NWA was going to use the 787 for. Routes they have decided to put on hold (China comes to mind) probably also takes the heat off the 787 purchase.

Sounds like you think the number of pilots in Atlanta is about to get seriously pulled down.

Anyone know Delta's past practice about allowing voluntary furlough, or leave? Seems like letting us bypass would save money compared to three trips to the school house.

I don't think they will be moving 757s North, more likely MD88s. I can see DC9s coming into ATL, but not a base, rather just more flights through here. I see A330s and 744s having a base here, and 767ERs moving to SEA and MSP. I don't know if they would come from ATL or JFK, but there is bound to be some loss of positions if the A330s do replace some routes. I think the A320s will stay in MSP/DTW/MEM, but also set up shop in SLC---doing some Montana flying that we lost to the RJs (the last day of a 4 day trip might consist of LGA-MSP-BZN-SLC on an A319). The reason the MD88 or MD90s would go to MSP is because they can hit both coasts from there, whereas they cannot now from SLC.(there will also probably be some A330 flying from SLC--NRT, CDG, AMS) JFK will probably get some A330 flying too, and maybe MSP or DTW could get 777 flying, to replace the 744s going to ATL. SEA will get bigger as a base probably with the addition of 76ERs, and that will take some flying from JFK on those ERs, and be replaced with A330s. Most of this is speculation with some hints from certain people that may know what they are talking about... It will be interesting to see.....

Bye Bye--General Lee
and ANC with the freighters? should the pilots up there start looking at commutes to SEA?

and ANC with the freighters? should the pilots up there start looking at commutes to SEA?

I hope it sticks around, but I don't know yet. Lot's of discussions going on....

Bye Bye--General Lee

It sounds to me from the higher ups that the displacement is more than likely to happen in Jan. (I really hope our CPs can spill the beans a bit more often and willing:) It is gonna be interesting if they start moving the DC9 into ATL, A320 into SLC, and this displacement reflects a shuffle of a/c, let's say, M88/767 out of ATL, M90 out of SLC, to MSP/DTW.
Are they gonna try to complete SOC so that everybody (FNWA and FDAL) will be eligible to bid on this same AE?

Or they'll just post a similar AE/disp at the FNWA side and even things out? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Happy New Year!

I do not see anything moving yet. We are talking about after SOC before we see the bases opening up. Right now you will just see displacements.
Now that was as of a few weeks ago, so that can change to. But, with the lack of tall fences there is no need to incur two major training cycles to get it right. Waiting a few months until after SOC will allow them to do it right and do it only once.

Just heard today that the NWA side, as stands today, we will be short pilots come this summer. Going to be an interesting year.

Just heard today that the NWA side, as stands today, we will be short pilots come this summer. Going to be an interesting year.

Agreed.

Also new news: FAs are going to get bases in ATL and SLC in 1Q '09. Not rumor, either, but posted in the FA areas in DTW. Can FNW pilot bases be far behind?

Nu

Latest resources

Back