• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heck no. Most of the people left flying at the legacies have been AFFECTED by RJ growth. You think an offer for this or that would just change legacy pilots' minds? No way. The ONLY reason RJs went from 70 to 76 seats was because of a BK judge. We didn't offer that, it was handed down to us. And, I don't see that happening again any time soon, so your wishes of flying even larger RJs (like 100 seaters) just won't be happening. The senior guys who don't care have either already left or are about to---and that should worry you. INTL routes are profitable, but giving away everything domestic just doesn't make sense, and we are seeing RJs getting parked, and DC9-50s starting to replace RJs on certian ATL routes to better compete with Airtran 717s. It won't stop there. I love that you are assuming all of this may happen, and you are an E120 FO. Yeah, you hope so. News flash for you. Most people HATE RJs, and businessmen deplore them. Your E120s are worse. Transcons are flown by larger planes, and with the Economy down the tubes, more people can't afford private jets (look, Netjets has furloughed pilots), and have to fly 1st class on Majors. Most legacies also fly hub and spoke system--transferring a lot of pax through the hubs. Does Airtran have any RJs in ATL? (nope, only MKE) Does Jetblue fly any RJs at JFK? How about Virgin America? These guys fly mainline sized planes, and are doing fairly well. We should fly RJs to cities that have NO LCC competition. If we fly an RJ against a LCC, we lose, everytime. That is what is changing with DC9-50s starting to fly against 717s---it is time to stop the losses, and again, that aint good for you. You should HOPE for more mainline hiring, maybe it will get you an upgrade instead of krap wages the rest of your life while you fly to Idaho Falls. Your argument about flying an RJ from IAD to COS could work, since NO OTHER plane flies it currently. But, you may turn away passengers from future flights because of extreme discomfort. DL flew CR7s from OAK to DFW and onto DCA, and they lost miserably to AA and their mainline planes. Offering the only flight, could work, but add free pillows for the passengers' butz.

Bye Bye---General Lee

FWIW, I think you (and the company if what you say is true) are wrong in this theory. In places Airtran goes and we send an RJ, people aren't flying Airtran to avoid the RJ, they're flying Airtran because the ticket is cheaper. If you think the passengers care (or have any idea) what airplane they're on you're fooling yourself. All they consider is price. If we send a DC-9 at mainline rates, there's no way we're going to be cheaper than Airtran in these cities and still make money on the route. The cost structure of the CRJ-700 and -900 is actually much better suited to compete with Airtran on these routes. and now that the -700s are adding first class, the business travelers may also find them more appealing.

I think your constant RJ bashing is wearing thin. You're starting to say things that are blatantly untrue, just to have an opening to RJ bash. I think your threats of losing 50 seat RJs are empty, because most RJ pilots I know would be glad to see them go and glad to see them transfer to mainline jobs.

Now go ahead and make a flippant response about what you assume my sexuality is, or anything else you can come up with to avoid the facts of the issue. We're all waiting. We're starting to see you for what you are... a flamebaiter with very little real info.

[/QUOTE] Does Airtran have any RJs in ATL? (nope, only MKE) Does Jetblue fly any RJs at JFK? How about Virgin America? These guys fly mainline sized planes, and are doing fairly well. Bye Bye---General Lee[/QUOTE]

I thought the ERJ-190 is an RJ like the ERJ-170 & ERJ-140? JetBlue uses the ERJ-190 at jfk.

;)

Some of my fellow RJ guys/gals in here have me confused. The majority of mainline pilots did our type of flying in B1900 D328's F100's, DC9's and 732's. They have seen it all plus all of the international ops that they are now doing. They will always have the edge in experience. That's the point, that's why they were hired at a mainline.

Hopefully a majority of us can switch over to mainline eventually as well.

Have some respect!

You're kidding right? Have some self respect! I think you may be "hypoxik".......

Heck no. Most of the people left flying at the legacies have been AFFECTED by RJ growth. You think an offer for this or that would just change legacy pilots' minds? No way. The ONLY reason RJs went from 70 to 76 seats was because of a BK judge. We didn't offer that, it was handed down to us. And, I don't see that happening again any time soon, so your wishes of flying even larger RJs (like 100 seaters) just won't be happening. The senior guys who don't care have either already left or are about to---and that should worry you. INTL routes are profitable, but giving away everything domestic just doesn't make sense, and we are seeing RJs getting parked, and DC9-50s starting to replace RJs on certian ATL routes to better compete with Airtran 717s. It won't stop there. I love that you are assuming all of this may happen, and you are an E120 FO. Yeah, you hope so. News flash for you. Most people HATE RJs, and businessmen deplore them. Your E120s are worse. Transcons are flown by larger planes, and with the Economy down the tubes, more people can't afford private jets (look, Netjets has furloughed pilots), and have to fly 1st class on Majors. Most legacies also fly hub and spoke system--transferring a lot of pax through the hubs. Does Airtran have any RJs in ATL? (nope, only MKE) Does Jetblue fly any RJs at JFK? How about Virgin America? These guys fly mainline sized planes, and are doing fairly well. We should fly RJs to cities that have NO LCC competition. If we fly an RJ against a LCC, we lose, everytime. That is what is changing with DC9-50s starting to fly against 717s---it is time to stop the losses, and again, that aint good for you. You should HOPE for more mainline hiring, maybe it will get you an upgrade instead of krap wages the rest of your life while you fly to Idaho Falls. Your argument about flying an RJ from IAD to COS could work, since NO OTHER plane flies it currently. But, you may turn away passengers from future flights because of extreme discomfort. DL flew CR7s from OAK to DFW and onto DCA, and they lost miserably to AA and their mainline planes. Offering the only flight, could work, but add free pillows for the passengers' butz.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Private Lee...Have you heard of paragraphs? It would be easier to read your dribble....Never mind, I would still ignore it...

Delta's product is poor. You looking in the wrong direction. People don't want to fly on that big hunk of junk airline. You guys worry about yourselves far too much and not enough on the people who feed your families. People know how bad Delta is that is why others like Airtran, Jetblue, and Southwest have grown. That company has become too big to adjust to changes, much like our federal government. Delta used to be a good airline. Well until around 1996, maybe before. Used to be employees and managment gave to that company, now its what they can take while they are there. You and most there are an embarrassment to people who came before. Get rid of the rjs! General Lee is Richard Anderson! That's why Delta sucks so bad the president spends all day on flightinfo instead of running an airline. Hey Mr. Anderson I need a lav dump and a wheelchair at the bottom of D36, get on that will ya, big boy!

FWIW, I think you (and the company if what you say is true) are wrong in this theory. In places Airtran goes and we send an RJ, people aren't flying Airtran to avoid the RJ, they're flying Airtran because the ticket is cheaper. If you think the passengers care (or have any idea) what airplane they're on you're fooling yourself. All they consider is price. If we send a DC-9 at mainline rates, there's no way we're going to be cheaper than Airtran in these cities and still make money on the route. The cost structure of the CRJ-700 and -900 is actually much better suited to compete with Airtran on these routes. and now that the -700s are adding first class, the business travelers may also find them more appealing.

I think your constant RJ bashing is wearing thin. You're starting to say things that are blatantly untrue, just to have an opening to RJ bash. I think your threats of losing 50 seat RJs are empty, because most RJ pilots I know would be glad to see them go and glad to see them transfer to mainline jobs.

Now go ahead and make a flippant response about what you assume my sexuality is, or anything else you can come up with to avoid the facts of the issue. We're all waiting. We're starting to see you for what you are... a flamebaiter with very little real info.

Frankly, I don't really care if you do like women, but I do like debating this industry. My constant RJ bashing comes from too many of them, and then DL going BK. When oil was super high, it made no sense flying them, the CASM was too high and an airline like Airtran could come in with more seats, charge less, and we would lose everytime head to head. Oil today is still fairly high (compared to the $35 a barrel it was 8 months ago), meaning we still need planes that could compete effectively with 717s compared to a CRJ50 or 70. The DC9-50 is currently our only choice, and it does well because the planes are owned outright (no lease costs), and the CASM is about the same. One of the "synergies" for the DL/NWA merger was to put the right sized plane on the correct route, and now we have more choices to find the right fit, and compete better.

As far as RJs or CR7s getting first class, that is better than nothing. Businessmen do not enjoy RJs, but a larger seat will help slightly. Some routes should have RJs, but they shouldn't be very long flights, or flights that compete directly with LCCs like Airtran. Flights to Fayettville, AR and Fayettville, NC are two perfect cities for RJs from ATL---no direct competition, and the loads probably do not justify a DC9 or MD88. CR7s to PHL, DAY, FNT, IND, SDF, etc all compete with larger planes and lower fares, meaning "Not good" for DL. The CR9 has 6 more seats than a CR7, and thanks to the DALPA scope clause can't seat anymore. That means they are still inefficient compared to a 717. Sorry.

So, do you still think businessmen can't tell the difference between a 717 and an RJ? Just ask one that flies a lot, and he'll tell you. Just because you fly the CR7s to EYW a lot as a pax to see "friends" and notice that they are full doesn't mean they all make money. (and DL now flies a 737-700 to Key West to compete with Airtran's flights down there. Good one, DL)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Does Airtran have any RJs in ATL? (nope, only MKE) Does Jetblue fly any RJs at JFK? How about Virgin America? These guys fly mainline sized planes, and are doing fairly well. Bye Bye---General Lee[/QUOTE]

I thought the ERJ-190 is an RJ like the ERJ-170 & ERJ-140? JetBlue uses the ERJ-190 at jfk.

;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it pays twice as well as any RJ out there. JB has pretty good rates on that plane (better than DL's pay rates on those same planes, negotiated with BK judge watching), which is good for any airline negotiating a contract for 100 seaters in the future. Good for them!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Delta's product is poor. You looking in the wrong direction. People don't want to fly on that big hunk of junk airline. You guys worry about yourselves far too much and not enough on the people who feed your families. People know how bad Delta is that is why others like Airtran, Jetblue, and Southwest have grown. That company has become too big to adjust to changes, much like our federal government. Delta used to be a good airline. Well until around 1996, maybe before. Used to be employees and managment gave to that company, now its what they can take while they are there. You and most there are an embarrassment to people who came before. Get rid of the rjs! General Lee is Richard Anderson! That's why Delta sucks so bad the president spends all day on flightinfo instead of running an airline. Hey Mr. Anderson I need a lav dump and a wheelchair at the bottom of D36, get on that will ya, big boy!

Poor compared to an RJ's service? Mainline is poor, is that what you are saying? Speak for yourself, I have a feeling you are giving poor service everytime you porpoise down the runway during your "crash landings." The DL/NWA merger has gone by a lot smoother than most, and they seem to be getting things together product wise. I bet you are unhappy with the outfits. You probably don't think the shoes match......

I am glad you think DL "used to" be a good airline. Sounds like you won't be too upset when your RJs are parked and you are working in Concourse C at Wendy's. You and CRJ567 can hold hands and make fries.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You're kidding right? Have some self respect! I think you may be "hypoxik".......

Joe, you are at a shrinking airline (or one that is being parted out), and your next assignment may be in Hanoi. Go enjoy that. People like you will be treated "very well" by your new hosts over there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back