• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thought Delta was starting the retirement process for the DC-9's. Is mainline going to replace these? How old is the youngest one in the fleet? I'm sure it's older than I am

Stop right there, General.

Mike Boyd is the biggest Captain Obvious in this entire industry...and that's saying A LOT. All Boyd says (especially regarding RJs and their economics) is stuff that anybody with a basic calculator and simple math skills can already figure out...and he derives his "analysis" solely from casual observation and 1st grade arithmetic.

In short, he's not an "expert" of anything other than self-promotion...and one should give his industry analysis as much thought as the Consumer Reports' review of the Isuzu Trooper.

Why would you think I would put quotes around expert? It was a joke. But, he is master of the obvious, and obviously airlines and passengers are getting tired of RJs. That is the point. They have served their purpose, and except for a select few routes, they are on the way out. Even slowly, that is a good thing.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Thought Delta was starting the retirement process for the DC-9's. Is mainline going to replace these? How old is the youngest one in the fleet? I'm sure it's older than I am

Some of them, not all. The -30s and -40s will be retired in mass after the Summer, leaving the -50 series to stick around and find markets that compete directly with 717s of Airtran. The economics (fully owned, not leased) of that version will compete better with a 717 rather than a CR9 or E170 with 76 seats.

Bye Bye--General Lee

...the contract will be enforced...

I hope you're right, it's certainly about time contracts were enforced, but I look at history and am not encouraged. I don't think Brian Bedford got E190s only to operate the mostly dead Midwest operation. That's just one example.

Why would you think I would put quotes around expert? It was a joke. But, he is master of the obvious, and obviously airlines and passengers are getting tired of RJs. That is the point. They have served their purpose, and except for a select few routes, they are on the way out. Even slowly, that is a good thing.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well I can quote your man, Anderson, who said the future of Delta lies in international routes and domestic is a loosing proposition except for coast to coast runs.

Delta will get more bigger airplanes and fly further then ever and you Mad dog and 7-3 guys will salivate and let that big shiny jet syndrome get the best of you with bigger paychecks and you'll all most certainly relax your scope and let them retire the Mad Dog and 7-3 fleet. (And btw, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing or fault the pilot groups' thinking)

You will see the other legacies following Delta's business plan if they ever want to compete. International is where it's at for the legacies.

You really don't believe mainline guys will ever fly the C-Series, do you?

so how many dc-9-50's are in the fleet?

Maybe 40? The other DC9s are getting replaced now with MD90s. We got 3 last year, and this year 13 from China Eastern, and 16 from JAL. We do need to address the 100 seater eventually, and rumors are abound on type etc. I have heard maybe E190s....but all mainline of course.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You all don't get it. The only way to "win" an argument with General "Broken Record" Lee is to ignore him. He will never move off his "RJs suck, and will be gone in a year" mantra. The same mantra he's been chanting for about 5 years now, while RJs keep flying to new places. He just does it to get a rise out of you, and you fall for it. Just ignore him!

Just don't see how you can replace all the RJ's with a fleet of 40 aircraft, but believe it or not, I do aspire to move on from the regionals someday

You all don't get it. The only way to "win" an argument with General "Broken Record" Lee is to ignore him. He will never move off his "RJs suck, and will be gone in a year" mantra. The same mantra he's been chanting for about 5 years now, while RJs keep flying to new places. He just does it to get a rise out of you, and you fall for it. Just ignore him!

Look, I really DON'T Care if you like women, but when it comes down to it, the RJs are BAD for this business when they compete directly with LCCs. Ms. Box Office can't debate, and it's too bad because she could be an ADVOCATE of change. But instead, she agrees with "Don't ask about how many are being parked, " and "Don't tell me the truth about them being on the way out." Sad, just sad.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back