• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thou its just my opinion, I would gather to guess if Mainline offered pay raises and "other" incentives (such as guaranteed retirement/benifit packages" for scope, they would go for it. The industry is changing again, domestic flying, except for the transcon, high volume markets, is better suited for the lower cost structure that the regionals do offer. Plus it takes pressure off the majors with risk. A (insert regional) can offer lower risk and bigger reward if a market does at sometime justify mainline service. The profit margins are way to small for mainline to put a 757/A320/737 etc on a flight like COS-IAD or name another such market route. But put a CRJ700/900 etc on it, it works.

Majors are moving more of their ops to international routes from their hubs, where they can charge more, get more of a return, and have little to no competition from the LCCs that operate domestic. Plus gain even more from alliances.

As much as I would LOVE the majors to bring on board the RJs and we can all join the seniority list, its pretty much too late. Why should the majors put risk on their profits when they can get a much lower cost regional to do the flying and then bid against other regionals for such flying with contracts for 1 to 3 years to lower the cost even further.

Maybe I am wrong but wouldnt it stand to think that a international route for a major has bigger profit margins than a domesitic one, especially when you factor in LCC competition on said domestic route.

Thou its just my opinion, I would gather to guess if Mainline offered pay raises and "other" incentives (such as guaranteed retirement/benifit packages" for scope, they would go for it. The industry is changing again, domestic flying, except for the transcon, high volume markets, is better suited for the lower cost structure that the regionals do offer. Plus it takes pressure off the majors with risk. A (insert regional) can offer lower risk and bigger reward if a market does at sometime justify mainline service. The profit margins are way to small for mainline to put a 757/A320/737 etc on a flight like COS-IAD or name another such market route. But put a CRJ700/900 etc on it, it works.

The risk is about to increase a bunch. There is a move afoot that will allow consumers to sue the airline(s) that has their name on the plane. For example, Continental may be assessed some of the blame for the Colgan crash. Sound far fetched? Congress is working on it right now. So far as low cost goes, the regional have been increasing their labor costs so that cost savings on labor isn't very apparent.

My bet goes to mainline pulling back on scope.

Majors are moving more of their ops to international routes from their hubs, where they can charge more, get more of a return, and have little to no competition from the LCCs that operate domestic. Plus gain even more from alliances.

As much as I would LOVE the majors to bring on board the RJs and we can all join the seniority list, its pretty much too late. Why should the majors put risk on their profits when they can get a much lower cost regional to do the flying and then bid against other regionals for such flying with contracts for 1 to 3 years to lower the cost even further.

Maybe I am wrong but wouldnt it stand to think that a international route for a major has bigger profit margins than a domesitic one, especially when you factor in LCC competition on said domestic route.

Heck no. Most of the people left flying at the legacies have been AFFECTED by RJ growth. You think an offer for this or that would just change legacy pilots' minds? No way. The ONLY reason RJs went from 70 to 76 seats was because of a BK judge. We didn't offer that, it was handed down to us. And, I don't see that happening again any time soon, so your wishes of flying even larger RJs (like 100 seaters) just won't be happening. The senior guys who don't care have either already left or are about to---and that should worry you. INTL routes are profitable, but giving away everything domestic just doesn't make sense, and we are seeing RJs getting parked, and DC9-50s starting to replace RJs on certian ATL routes to better compete with Airtran 717s. It won't stop there. I love that you are assuming all of this may happen, and you are an E120 FO. Yeah, you hope so. News flash for you. Most people HATE RJs, and businessmen deplore them. Your E120s are worse. Transcons are flown by larger planes, and with the Economy down the tubes, more people can't afford private jets (look, Netjets has furloughed pilots), and have to fly 1st class on Majors. Most legacies also fly hub and spoke system--transferring a lot of pax through the hubs. Does Airtran have any RJs in ATL? (nope, only MKE) Does Jetblue fly any RJs at JFK? How about Virgin America? These guys fly mainline sized planes, and are doing fairly well. We should fly RJs to cities that have NO LCC competition. If we fly an RJ against a LCC, we lose, everytime. That is what is changing with DC9-50s starting to fly against 717s---it is time to stop the losses, and again, that aint good for you. You should HOPE for more mainline hiring, maybe it will get you an upgrade instead of krap wages the rest of your life while you fly to Idaho Falls. Your argument about flying an RJ from IAD to COS could work, since NO OTHER plane flies it currently. But, you may turn away passengers from future flights because of extreme discomfort. DL flew CR7s from OAK to DFW and onto DCA, and they lost miserably to AA and their mainline planes. Offering the only flight, could work, but add free pillows for the passengers' butz.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Some of my fellow RJ guys/gals in here have me confused. The majority of mainline pilots did our type of flying in B1900 D328's F100's, DC9's and 732's. They have seen it all plus all of the international ops that they are now doing. They will always have the edge in experience. That's the point, that's why they were hired at a mainline.

Hopefully a majority of us can switch over to mainline eventually as well.

Have some respect!

So far as low cost goes, the regional have been increasing their labor costs so that cost savings on labor isn't very apparent.

My bet goes to mainline pulling back on scope.

Pulling back on scope will be very expensive. My bet is to wait it out and let us price ourselves out of the market. It will be slow, but in the long run effective.

Pulling back on scope will be very expensive. My bet is to wait it out and let us price ourselves out of the market. It will be slow, but in the long run effective.

The new FAA rules that will be coming out soon should price you out of the market. Details are scarce, but I have heard a minimum of 10 hours behind the door on all layovers, and maximum limits on legs per day. That is a key to your schedules, and would make your business model change right away. But hey, it will be safer!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I do mostly locals and sleep in my own bed every night, but even so, these rules sound good to me. I hope it will be safer.

I do mostly locals and sleep in my own bed every night, but even so, these rules sound good to me. I hope it will be safer.

Now THAT is the right attitude. I think a legacy or a LCC is right around the corner for you if you want it! Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Heck no. Most of the people left flying at the legacies have been AFFECTED by RJ growth. You think an offer for this or that would just change legacy pilots' minds? No way. The ONLY reason RJs went from 70 to 76 seats was because of a BK judge. We didn't offer that, it was handed down to us. And, I don't see that happening again any time soon, so your wishes of flying even larger RJs (like 100 seaters) just won't be happening. The senior guys who don't care have either already left or are about to---and that should worry you. INTL routes are profitable, but giving away everything domestic just doesn't make sense, and we are seeing RJs getting parked, and DC9-50s starting to replace RJs on certian ATL routes to better compete with Airtran 717s. It won't stop there. I love that you are assuming all of this may happen, and you are an E120 FO. Yeah, you hope so. News flash for you. Most people HATE RJs, and businessmen deplore them. Your E120s are worse. Transcons are flown by larger planes, and with the Economy down the tubes, more people can't afford private jets (look, Netjets has furloughed pilots), and have to fly 1st class on Majors. Most legacies also fly hub and spoke system--transferring a lot of pax through the hubs. Does Airtran have any RJs in ATL? (nope, only MKE) Does Jetblue fly any RJs at JFK? How about Virgin America? These guys fly mainline sized planes, and are doing fairly well. We should fly RJs to cities that have NO LCC competition. If we fly an RJ against a LCC, we lose, everytime. That is what is changing with DC9-50s starting to fly against 717s---it is time to stop the losses, and again, that aint good for you. You should HOPE for more mainline hiring, maybe it will get you an upgrade instead of krap wages the rest of your life while you fly to Idaho Falls. Your argument about flying an RJ from IAD to COS could work, since NO OTHER plane flies it currently. But, you may turn away passengers from future flights because of extreme discomfort. DL flew CR7s from OAK to DFW and onto DCA, and they lost miserably to AA and their mainline planes. Offering the only flight, could work, but add free pillows for the passengers' butz.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hmm Don't know where you are getting your information, but there are plenty of people still flying on RJ's. The load factors are still high, even in a down economy. As far as comfort, even mainline planes have uncomfortable seats, and they become even more so when the flight is full. Your plane has to have feed to be profitable, and I don't see DC-9-50's as the only solution. Anywhere to Everywhere is not only the slogan, but the necessary strategy to remain profitable. That takes many planes of many different sizes to effect.

Now, "go get busy on the couch," and quit your RJ bashing!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back