• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ha! When was the last time you heard of mainline taking routes back from regionals? Mainline management keeps handing out your flying like they're free pancakes. It's only time before mainline guys start to take furloughs, at that point you'll be begging for a job in that CRJ. Get the CRJ captain his gear, Nancy!

DL is throwing DC9-50s on routes from ATL to Flint, Grand Rapids, and certain Charlotte flights, all replacing RJs in April or May. They thought the DC9s would compete better against Airtran 717s, which is correct. (CASM) Luckily DL will be parking about 50 RJs this year, or giving them to United to help them lose more money.

As far as COS to IAD goes, yikes. On a 70 seat RJ? I don't think they have the experience to do a transcon. They should stick to small mountain strips, with 2 miles Vis.......

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
As far as COS to IAD goes, yikes. On a 70 seat RJ? I don't think they have the experience to do a transcon. They should stick to small mountain strips, with 2 miles Vis.......

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yeah, we all know how much training is required to sit back for a long ride. Takes tons of experience.

Yeah, we all know how much training is required to sit back for a long ride. Takes tons of experience.

Hey genius, you must have missed the thread concerning the SKW doofus FO who stated mainline pilots flying LAX to JFK had less experience than regional guys flying into the mountains, with 2 miles Vis. I guess he seemed to forget that the mainline pilots probably did that stuff earlier in their careers, and that the longer flights were the reward at the end, compared to 5 legs a day into the mountains, ending up in Tulsa on the 6th leg. Here, a reminder for you from USAToday blogs:

Universal standards

Robert Loutz%^^%& - Tooele, Utah
As a regional pilot, I have a big problem with the statement that "standards often are not as rigorous as the bigger airlines' " in the article "Air tragedy could lead to better pilot training." In aviation we all use one book for our rules and regulation: the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR).
All airlines — in fact, all pilots — use FAR. Numbers don't always matter regarding experience. I'll trust my life to the pilot who flies four or five times a day to an airport that has a short runway in the mountains with 2 miles of visibility over the pilot who takes off from Los Angeles International Airport, flies direct to John F. Kennedy International Airport, and goes to his hotel without a care in the world. Who would you say has more experience?

Figured it out yet genius? This guy really isn't one. Go get yourself another beer and forget reality.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Recent experience is what he should have said. It is a perishable skill is it not?

That should be open ended enough for you to type till midnight.

I can tell you a B1900 pilot is a heck of a lot better instrument pilot today than I am. Wasn't always so, but let the skills atrophy due to vectors to the ILS.

I don't know if the poster is correct but I don't dismiss it as easily as you.

Recent experience is what he should have said. It is a perishable skill is it not?

That should be open ended enough for you to type till midnight.

I can tell you a B1900 pilot is a heck of a lot better instrument pilot today than I am. Wasn't always so, but let the skills atrophy due to vectors to the ILS.

I don't know if the poster is correct but I don't dismiss it as easily as you.

Russ,

Something you obviously don't understand is that there is a WHOLE WIDE WORLD out there, with crazy approaches, bad ATC, Volcanos, constant Bad WX (like Typhoons in Asia or Monsoons in India), etc, that you regional pilots don't see, or even think about. You are too concerned with the stew you might be flying with this month (all month), and where you might eat at DEN between flights. Guess what? A mainline pilot flying to JFK from LAX may be flying across the pond the next day or so, going to a place like Abuja, Nigeria. Do you think pilots who go to those places have atrophying skills? Would that be smart? Stop focusing on your own little world, the one you have total control in since that is ALL YOU DO. Open your eyes and understand there is a world away from DEN and SLC. For every ASE or SUN you have, there are 50 more airports around the world that are more challenging because of the language barrier alone, let alone the old airport facilities and handling. If you don't think you need "experience" when you go to Quito, Ecuador, then you are mistaken. Most mainliners have experience doing a lot of different flying, something that Skywest FO still can't understand.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
DAL MD80 guys are dodging typhoons in India? WN guys in Lubbock (still your fav?) dealing with volcano's? Bad ATC, like MEM during daylight? Or in Mexico or Central America. Don't have to go Africa to find that. Total control? hardly. Paid better? I make more than a lot of the guys I know at major airlines warming the right seats. More than some in the left seat flying planes overseas. All I do? Not my choice but IAD to COS is 3/4 of a transcon, give or take. Unless something happens in that last quarter...

What of the domiciles that only fly domestic, heavies coast to coast? What do they know? What of IRO's that have to hit the sim to stay legally current?

I don't begrudge someone flying the long haul stuff if that's what they want, the beauty of seniority. It however comes with costs. I have experienced what I'm talking about to the point to have some insight. I used to be much better in certain aspects than I am now, my ability to manage automation now is far better than it was years ago.

I'm not questioning your manhood. Just saying that there might be some truth to the idea.

where you might eat at DEN

Que bueno of course. Chrarizo and eggs if you want to give it a try.

Ha! When was the last time you heard of mainline taking routes back from regionals? Mainline management keeps handing out your flying like they're free pancakes. It's only time before mainline guys start to take furloughs, at that point you'll be begging for a job in that CRJ. Get the CRJ captain his gear, Nancy!

Blah blah blah, the news will be changing soon IDIOT!

DAL MD80 guys are dodging typhoons in India? WN guys in Lubbock (still your fav?) dealing with volcano's? Bad ATC, like MEM during daylight? Or in Mexico or Central America. Don't have to go Africa to find that. Total control? hardly. Paid better? I make more than a lot of the guys I know at major airlines warming the right seats. More than some in the left seat flying planes overseas. All I do? Not my choice but IAD to COS is 3/4 of a transcon, give or take. Unless something happens in that last quarter...

What of the domiciles that only fly domestic, heavies coast to coast? What do they know? What of IRO's that have to hit the sim to stay legally current?

I don't begrudge someone flying the long haul stuff if that's what they want, the beauty of seniority. It however comes with costs. I have experienced what I'm talking about to the point to have some insight. I used to be much better in certain aspects than I am now, my ability to manage automation now is far better than it was years ago.

I'm not questioning your manhood. Just saying that there might be some truth to the idea.

Que bueno of course. Chrarizo and eggs if you want to give it a try.

See, this goes to prove AGAIN that you regional guys have your heads up your butz. Do DL MD88 guys always just fly that plane (like SWA 737 pilots do?) That MD88 Captain probably just got off a tour of flying Europe and S America on the 767 in the right seat, and has plenty more REAL WORLD experience flying than any SkyWest pilot does, (except into SUN! Yippee). And wow, MEM during daylight---bad ATC......right. Ever flown into Moscow? (not ID) Try understanding anything that controller says. Most ATC in the US is very easy to understand, giving those BE1900 guys a leg up on even their tougher approaches. In the rest of the World, it is up to YOU, and ATC hopes you can do it. Sure, some LCCs do mainly transcons, and that could get boring, but most legacies have a mixture, and if you don't fly in a "theatre" within two years, you have to get another TOE (a trip into that theatre) to regain the qualifications. Some guys are senior enough to avoid tougher trips, but most aren't. And it is great you are paid more than some right seaters and even some left seaters. That is only one reason you won't make the jump to enlightenment. And I am not saying there aren't some great regional pilots out there. I am sure you have to be good to fly into ASE. But, what I am saying is there is a whole other world out there that many regional pilots can't even comprehend, and obviously don't think about.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back