• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, Republic, and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So arguably the two biggest regionals now, Skywest and Republic, have either no Union at all (Skypest) or a worthless union (Repuke-lic). It seems as maybe the majors have decided not to do as much business with the stronger regionals, and have slowly given more flying to these two scumbag outfits.
Maybe we (ALPA regionals) are our own worst enemy by becoming too strong?

Uhmm, I don't follow much of this board, and do not know too much about the working conditions at other regionals - including Republic. Still, correct me if I am wrong, but SKW seems to be at the top of the pyramid (or at least close to it) when it comes to working conditions. What do you mean by "stronger regionals" by the way? Mesa? PSA? AW? Colgan? GJ?

Last edited:
That's all warm and fuzzy but how many Skywest pilots are on the FAA ARC deciding on new rest regulations?

There's not a SkyWest pilot to be found, but there is an ASA pilot on the ARC. Funny how ASA pilots continue to do the heavy lifting for the SkyWest pilots...

There's not a SkyWest pilot to be found, but there is an ASA pilot on the ARC. Funny how ASA pilots continue to do the heavy lifting for the SkyWest pilots...

Funny how ASA was a horrible place to work (directly from the mouths of ASA pilots) until Skywest took over. Funny how all that happened under the professional watch of ALPA and it's ASA representatives.

This isn't the Chicago meat packing industry in 1920. ALPA is what is broken. Fix it, then come back without your giant excuse/justification book.

W

Funny how ASA was a horrible place to work (directly from the mouths of ASA pilots) until Skywest took over. Funny how all that happened under the professional watch of ALPA and it's ASA representatives.
W

That's very true...Sweptback is one of our ALPA "insiders"....The fact is, Skywest has done more to save ASA than ALPA has....If anyone doubts that fact, they can look at Comair to see how ALPA has done vs. how Skywest has done....There is no comparison.

ALPA could not guarantee us a certain percentage of Atlanta Delta flying....ALPA refused at one time to even allow ASA and CMR pilots to negotiate for Delta flying...Jerry is the one that secured this flying....

That's very true...Sweptback is one of our ALPA "insiders"....

Just a line pilot! But I do read the Fastread emails and keep in touch with what is going on. Actually, I guess that does make me an insider, after all it's more than most do to stay current in their industry.

ALPA could not guarantee us a certain percentage of Atlanta Delta flying....ALPA refused at one time to even allow ASA and CMR pilots to negotiate for Delta flying...Jerry is the one that secured this flying....

You seem to confuse ALPA's role. Last I checked, a union doesn't make business decisions. In fact, if the union was truly running this company like you want them to, then something is horribly out of whack.

You seem to confuse ALPA's role. Last I checked, a union doesn't make business decisions. In fact, if the union was truly running this company like you want them to, then something is horribly out of whack.

Ahhh yes...The ALPA talking point with regards to regional job protection.

Either way, you can't win this debate....There are two ways to go about refuting this point:

1. "ALPA doesn't make business decisions": If that is true, then what is section 1 of the contract about? What if Delta wants to make a "business decision" to run 737s at ASA or CMR?

2. If your above point is true, then it gives the ALPA cheerleaders even less to cheer about....In essence, you are admitting that Jerry will make the business decisions regarding ASA....Is it really smart to then pi$$ off the person who can make those decisions? After all, as you point out, ALPA won't make those decisions....Jerry will.

You help make my point about how impotent ALPA really is....Thank you....

It's not me that is confused about what ALPA can and cannot do....I am well aware of the fact that they can't do much....:D

You are creating a downward pressure on other regional airline pilot pay.

This is incorrect....Most downward pressure on regional airline pay comes from fellow ALPA pilots at BOTH the regional and major level...

Nevets said:
Every MEC will do what is best for their pilots. And they should. Your example of fences around 747s and 777s is exactly the point I try to make to people when they bring up conflict of interest. There is no conflict of interest because EVERY MEC will do what is best for their pilots, whether they are regional pilots or 747/777 pilots.

That IS a conflict of interest and is what pits one group against another...That builds walls...not bridges...You aren't winning any points for ALPA.....

Nevets said:
I worked for a non union company. And the vast majority of us were professional. As a matter of fact, most pilots are professional.

When ALPA cheerleaders like Rez. accuse Skywest pilots of not being professional because they aren't ALPA....don't be surprised if Skywest pilots think even less of ALPA....You can't insult people like Rez does and then expect them to agree with you or want to join with you....You ALPA cheerleaders just can't seem to grasp that very simple concept....

Nevets said:
Why does he think ALPA is broken beyond repair? I mean, we put men on the moon right? Can we not fix whatever ails ALPA? Sounds like a weak cop out if you ask me. This guy seems talented enough to become a leader at the Teamsters. Why couldn't he put his effort in helping the only union of pilots for pilots? Anyways, ALPA does not have any conflicts of interests. Every MEC will do what is best for themselves regardless of what any other MEC does. MECs just pool their resources to help the profession. This is thee biggest misconception of ALPA out there. Its a bottom up organization. Its run by line pilots that direct the president what to do. Not the other way around.

Dan B. did try as did many others...Every member of the RJDC leadership at both ASA and CMR were former ALPA MEC officers, MEC members, or committee members. Former ALPA EVP Cress Bernard had to sue ALPA to fairly represent him in the Alaska/Jet America merger. The two senior members of the ASA MEC admit "off the record" that RJDC helped us here at ASA....It is broken for the very reason you said above....

"Every MEC will do what is best for their pilots. And they should"

That won't build unity...Without unity...ALPA cannot be fixed.....

Last edited:
J

Fail! They dictate a huge amount of business choices a company makes. The threat of one also drives choices a company makes. You've missed the mark dramatically on that one, Sir.

When ALPA cheerleaders like Rez. accuse Skywest pilots of not being professional because they aren't ALPA....don't be surprised if Skywest pilots think even less of ALPA....You can't insult people like Rez does and then expect them to agree with you or want to join with you....You ALPA cheerleaders just can't seem to grasp that very simple concept....

This could not be more true in regards to the last union drive.

1. "ALPA doesn't make business decisions": If that is true, then what is section 1 of the contract about? What if Delta wants to make a "business decision" to run 737s at ASA or CMR?

Any way I answer this you're going to twist my words and fit them to your agenda, but for the sake of argument, consider a collective bargaining agreement as a check and balance upon management greed.

Delta can still make that decision to run narrowbodies at the regionals, but they will have to placate their pilots first. If the pilots believe that outsourcing that flying is beneficial to both Delta and the pilot group, they will cut a deal.

Latest resources

Back