• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, Republic, and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately, the group isnt taking the job...it was given by mainline...seems as though the mainline folks have tunnel vision of only flying the "big" stuff and not trying to make a business model work...If the company wants to fly smaller birds...the mainline guys should...to keep the power of a pilot group....but "its not worth it to them".....

I was in a jumpseat...and that was the impression given to me.....basically, they have no clue at mainline of whats going on at the regional level, or how the regionals got this way....in my eyes, they are to stubborn and blind to a big picture....so they blame the regionals for taking "their" flying when it seems its them as a pilot group(their MEC) gave it away.....

I hope they wake up and stop trying to stop it by scope...but do the flying themselves...after all they have plenty on furlough that are very capable.

Would it be all right if mainline took their scope back? If they did I think regional pilots should have solid protections.... or opportunities... but if mainline gave it away... is it fair to get it back?

And this arguement about regionals and legacy both represented by ALPA as a conflict..... would it be better if the regionals were not? Would not being in the same union create more unity and harmonious relations between the labor groups?

The PID could have been approved without the companies being merged....You know that...ALPA merger policy does not require the companies being merged....You can have a single list with seperate certificates...and you know it....Just another excuse....

You can't have an integration when you don't have contract language that requires it. Neither Delta nor ASA had contract language that required an integration, and Delta had no intention of integrating the operations. They were always intended to be operated separately, and that's exactly with they did. Without an integration taking place, the PID was invalid, and ALPA Merger Policy was not applicable. But you know all that.

You changed union reps..That is easier than flat out decertification....

Actually, it's much harder. Convincing 50% of the pilots to vote for something is an easy task. Convincing over 50% of the independent union's leadership to dissolve the independent and merge into a national union is tough. People in leadership positions don't like change.

You will see a change of unions here at ASA....Decertification is tougher than changing unions...Do some research...

Joey, I'm an organizer. I don't need to "do some research," because I'm quite familiar with the rules. Decertification is an easy task if you truly have the pilots behind you. The truth is, you just don't.

Actually, this group has nothing to do with me....They are taking the ball and running with it on their own....I have no connection.....

That's what you said last time. Never mind the fact that your older girlfriend was leading the pack. :rolleyes:

Would it be all right if mainline took their scope back? If they did I think regional pilots should have solid protections.... or opportunities... but if mainline gave it away... is it fair to get it back?

And this arguement about regionals and legacy both represented by ALPA as a conflict..... would it be better if the regionals were not? Would not being in the same union create more unity and harmonious relations between the labor groups?

Is it "taking it back"? or just negotiating a new contract with there own company...After all, all regionals are sub contracts, and the contracts have due dates...whether we like it or not as a regional airline, our time is gonna run a course of some sort...unfortunately for us. So if they do "take it back" sure would be nice to have a spot over there...but again, its our own problem we are subcontracted with a due date...

Yes, I think the regionals should have there own union "RALPA" or something...I dont like the conflict of interest there. Thats just me though.

Hey guys...keep it up. This sort of talk is exactly why the union vote failed so miserably at SkyW.

Next lets start with the "Well if you don't vote for ALPA you'll never get hired at a major."

Yes, I think the regionals should have there own union "RALPA" or something...I dont like the conflict of interest there. Thats just me though.

No regional MEC is told what to do by mainline MECs. If mainline MECs are able to scope back their flying, good for them. We should all support that regardless of whether you work for a regional or mainline.

Babbitt, the FAA Admin, this week addressed ALPA's Safety seminar. Skywest pilots could've been there..... they choose not to.....

SAPA was too busy chillin with Jerry on his housboat.

Meanwhile the Air Line Pilot profession is in a lifeboat... we are all trying to survive... bailing out seawater, making fresh water, fishing for food...

I'm glad our founding fathers didn't have the attitude you have.;) If its worth doing, its going to take a lot of hard work for a long time to start to see change. I think we are starting to see the hints of change already. And don't make such a big deal about my inexperience. I'm on your side on this. We just disagree on how and who can fix it.

1. I believe the founding fathers are spinning in their grave based on where this country is headed...but that is an issue for another thread.:D

2. My attitude is based on the fact that I am looking out for what is best for ASA....not what is best for you, mainline pilots, or the "profession". I think that any solution now will have "collatoral damage" including many regional pilots.

3. I'm not sure we are on the same side.

Nevets said:
I feel that its our whole profession's job to fix this regardless of who's fault it was to begin with. We wont get anywhere if we continue to just look to put blame on someone. Its done and I think that its behind us, as far as those who were to "blame."

It's my job to do what is best for me...that's what most people are going to do...Any solution that doesn't keep that in mind is doomed to fail...As far as "blame" and getting over the past...you know the saying...Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it....I don't think we have learned from history yet....

Nevets said:
That is how I'm trying to "sell" ALPA. We need to bring everyone together, whether it be ALPA, APA, etc (I just happen to be ALPA but I would feel the same if I was a member of another pilot union) so that we can continue to fix this. How can Skywest, jetBlue, Allegiant, and even RAH pilots since they aren't even part of CAPA, do ANYTHING without having a voice? That was the point of my comment.

You shouldn't have to "sell" ALPA...it should sell itself. I will say, you do better than you cohorts (Rez, PCL128, and waveflyer)...There constant attacks on those who disagree, and especially the Skywest pilots, makes it harder to take ALPA seriously.

Nevets said:
Depends on where that pilot would fall in an integrated seniority list.

See, now you have lost any support from about 30-40% of regional pilots....Any deal that puts a single mainline pilot senior to a regional pilot on the aircraft we fly, is a deal breaker. You may not agree with that, but that is simply a fact.

Latest resources

Back