• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, Republic, and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it an ALPA carrier's mishap that is directly affecting this change in training rules?

It's a pretty far stretch by any measure to consider them a ALPA carrier. They just joined ALPA 9 months ago. They haven't a contract yet. I would consider AirTran more ALPA then Colgan. At least AirTran has a contract that ALPA can enforce. Colgan pilots in all reality are still at will pilots because they haven't a contract to protect them.
Last I checked the unions for pilots are unlike plumbers and they don't do the training. They push for better training through their elected officials. ALPA has done more in getting safety and security measured improved in the last month than Skywest pilots have cumulatively done in their history. Not hard to do since 0 isn't hard to beat.

No, we see the union as a means of having a voice in our own careers. We have a voice in our profession, not just at our own companies, but in Washington, DC, at ICAO, at IFALPA, etc... You don't.

Really, when was the last time you ever talked to your CEO? I've called mine on many occasions and had very constuctive talks with him. I also see him in my jumpseat regularly. to say I don't have a voice in my career is extremely ignorant. Any problem most pilots have is quickly remedied and they normally (except for nondisclosure agreements) communicate pretty well with us on current company events. ALPA isn't right for skywest, and thry are a good company.

It's a pretty far stretch by any measure to consider them a ALPA carrier. They just joined ALPA 9 months ago. They haven't a contract yet. I would consider AirTran more ALPA then Colgan. At least AirTran has a contract that ALPA can enforce. Colgan pilots in all reality are still at will pilots because they haven't a contract to protect them.
Last I checked the unions for pilots are unlike plumbers and they don't do the training. They push for better training through their elected officials. ALPA has done more in getting safety and security measured improved in the last month than Skywest pilots have cumulatively done in their history. Not hard to do since 0 isn't hard to beat.
Its not a stretch to call Pinnacle and Messa ALPA and they are the other ugly sisters that are at the top of the "bottom of the barrel" list.

So arguably the two biggest regionals now, Skywest and Republic, have either no Union at all (Skypest) or a worthless union (Repuke-lic). It seems as maybe the majors have decided not to do as much business with the stronger regionals, and have slowly given more flying to these two scumbag outfits.
Maybe we (ALPA regionals) are our own worst enemy by becoming too strong?

Skywest a scumbag regional? Mesa a strong one? You aren't a very smart person are ya? Your probably just pissed off that you didn't get hire at Skywest, they don't like to hire scumbags.

Translation: "F-ck the profession, what's in it for me?" :rolleyes:

That sounds like the thought process that leads folks through Gulfstream's front door.

Dan Brannan? The guy that tired to be ALPA president this last election? The one that got fired from ABX and ALPA got his job back? The guy that lied about military service? That Dan?

If ALPA is broken (it does need fixing).. then why did he want to be President?

No, Dan got shamed out of ALPA.... and of course he now hates the union he tried to bullsh*t....

politics can be dirty if there are shady characters....

Wow ! ABX is ALPA ? Oh,I get it-ALPA got a guy represented by the IBT his job back ! Man,sign me up ! That's like ALPA = Chuck Norris.

Let me tell you a story about unions and hookers.

A dedicated union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, "Is this a union house?" "No," she replied, "I'm sorry it isn't." "Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" "The house gets $80 and the girls get $20," she answered.

Offended at such unfair dealings, the union man stomped off down the street in search of a more equitable, hopefully unionized shop. His search continued until finally he reached a brothel where the Madam responded, "Why yes sir, this is a union house. "We observe all union rules." The man asked, "And if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" "The girls get $80 and the house gets $20." "That's more like it!" the union man said.

He handed the Madam $100, looked around the room, and pointed to a stunningly attractive green-eyed blonde . "I'd like her," he said. "I'm sure you would, sir,' said the Madam. Then she gestured to a 92-year old woman in the corner, "but Ethel here has 67 years seniority and according to union rules, she's next."

Maybe APLA is the problem, representing a mainline group and a group that is taking the jobs of the mainline group...if you look up conflict of interest in the dictionary it gives this example.

Latest resources

Back